Must Have...

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited December 16, 2004 in Accessories
I just purchased a Nikon D70 (w/18-70mm lens), a 70-300mm Nikon lens, 2-1GB memory cards, an additonal battery, and a wireless shutter remote.

If you had some money to spend, maybe a few hundred more, what else would you buy (excluding a bag and tripods, which I have)?

lr1811

Comments

• ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    A normal lens
    Buy a fast (e.g. f/2 or faster), prime, "normal" (e.g. 28mm-50mm taking into account the 1.5x crop factor) lens. I'm a Canon guy, so I'm not familiar with the Nikkor lens lineup--but I'm sure there are at least 2 or 3 such lenses that fit this description. In my experience a fast normal lens is indispensable for everyday shooting--in fact I have two of them (28mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4).

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    Right now you are covered through 300mm so I would recommend the 50mm/1.8 lens (incredible bargain) and eother the Nikon 60mm/2.8 micro lens or the Sigma 105mm/2.8 macro lens. These are reasonable priced lenses that are sharp, reasonably priced and fill needs not covered by your current lenses.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    I was looking on the net at the 50mm - I noticed one site had it for about $50 cheaper and it said "imported." I also noticed that ebay had some for quite a bit cheaper - which I realize is common on ebay but I was wondering if there were some "cheap" Nikon lenses being sold.

(ok cannon people, no "cheap" shots!)

lr1811
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    I was looking on the net at the 50mm - I noticed one site had it for about $50 cheaper and it said "imported." I also noticed that ebay had some for quite a bit cheaper - which I realize is common on ebay but I was wondering if there were some "cheap" Nikon lenses being sold.

lr1811

you won't find any canon vs. nikon cr@p around this board :D we welcome all comers. even harry and he shoots nikon...

seriously, go for a fast prime - the 50 is a good start, but if you can swing it, go for a 35, nikon makes an f/2 35mm.

cheers!
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    I just purchased a Nikon D70 (w/18-70mm lens), a 70-300mm Nikon lens, 2-1GB memory cards, an additonal battery, and a wireless shutter remote.
    Congrats! Nice setup. Start posting some pics so waxy can critique them. rolleyes1.gif
    If you had some money to spend, maybe a few hundred more, what else would you buy (excluding a bag and tripods, which I have)?

lr1811

Serious answer:
    Donate the money to your local foodbank. They all need donations right now, and wouldn't you rather have the satisfaction of knowing you fed dozens of needy people, than buying a gizmo you don't even need and want advice to figure out? If there are no foodbanks in your area, I recommend http://www.secondharvest.org/

Not-so-serious answer: SB-800 flash.

300467.jpg

$320 minus $50 rebate at bhphoto.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited December 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you won't find any canon vs. nikon cr@p around this board :D we welcome all comers.
    Ed Zachary. In fact, all of my film gear is Nikon. I have a Nikon Coolpix990 even. But I'm an Apple/Canon convert for digital prosumer.
    clap.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:

lr1811

The imported thing typically means you don't get a USA warranty. I've heard that Nikon is quite strict about this, so you'd have to decide whether you're comfortable without the normal warranty.

Personally, I'm very careful around eBay. There appear to be a lot of lens ripoffs these days, with "auctioneers" creating false identities, stealing photos from other auctions and then trying to sell a phantom lens.

Almost all of my lenses are used. I've bought them from the Buy/Sell forums at www.fredmiranda.com, www.photo.net, and www.robgalbraith.com. Like here at dgrin, you have to register, but also like dgrin, it's free. These communities police themselves to greater or lesser degrees, so I feel safer, especially at Fred Miranda.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    50mm
    I got my new lens today (50mm as recommended). As someone that is very new to this, what type of pictures are best with this lens?

Once again, I appreciate the information. My first post was about what kind of camera I should get. 2+ weeks later, I'm playing with a Nikon D70 and lots of accesories!

Thanks,
    lr1811
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    lr1811 wrote:
    I got my new lens today (50mm as recommended). As someone that is very new to this, what type of pictures are best with this lens?

Once again, I appreciate the information. My first post was about what kind of camera I should get. 2+ weeks later, I'm playing with a Nikon D70 and lots of accesories!

Thanks,
    lr1811

The 50mm is best used for portraits and low light photography. This is a very versatile lens, with a million uses. I have bought close-up filters for mine and use it for some macro work.

Don't forget to post some pictures when you get some!

Dave
    edited December 15, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    The 50mm is best used for portraits and low light photography. This is a very versatile lens, with a million uses. I have bought close-up filters for mine and use it for some macro work.

Don't forget to post some pictures when you get some!

Dave

Portraits with a 50mm? On a D70, that's what...75mm equiv? Kinda short, imho, but wtf do I know? I'm still learning.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Ed Zachary. In fact, all of my film gear is Nikon. I have a Nikon Coolpix990 even. But I'm an Apple/Canon convert for digital prosumer.
    clap.gif

Sounds exactly like someone very near and dear to me - me! :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Portraits with a 50mm? On a D70, that's what...75mm equiv? Kinda short, imho, but wtf do I know? I'm still learning.

The classic portrait lens for 35mm was an 85mm mild telephoto, so the 50mm is not too far off for an APS sensor DSLR. 50mm, fast, small, light, tack sharp, and relatively cheap for the large amount of aperature. What's not to like?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    fish wrote:

The next sharp prime in the Nikon line would be an 85mm or 127.5mm on a Nikon digital body. This could be a bit too long. Some people like to use the 60mm Macro for portrait work too. I have the lens, but never tried it.

I'm no portrait photographer, just kinda going on feel & what I like to shoot so I may also be way off base too :D

Dave
    edited December 16, 2004
    Gotcha. I've tried my Canon 100mm/2.8 macro lens for portraits and it's just too crisp. Every single detail comes through...nose hairs, pimples, freckles, scars, wrinkles, dried boogers...you name it. It's not flattering. However, I think that's a really good focal length for a 1.6x sensor. Anywhere between 65 and 200 seems to be good. I've had very poor luck getting good portraits with the toy 50/1.8.