Looking for help to photograph NFL under lights

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited September 22, 2006 in Technique
I couldn't get any help in another forum so I thought that I would try this one. I have a Nikon D200 with an 18-200 VR lens. I will be sitting in the stands for tonights Steelers vs Jags game. What would be the best settings for my camera? i.e. ISO, Shutter vs Aperature priority. If shutter what speed, if aperature what opening. I would appreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks.
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 18, 2006
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    I couldn't get any help in another forum so I thought that I would try this one. I have a Nikon D200 with an 18-200 VR lens. I will be sitting in the stands for tonights Steelers vs Jags game. What would be the best settings for my camera? i.e. ISO, Shutter vs Aperature priority. If shutter what speed, if aperature what opening. I would appreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks.

Use the highest ISO (1600 in your case, because I think the boosted 3200 is too noisy for software correction to retain enough detail.) Also shoot with the lens wide open, f5.6 with that lens at 200mm. Use aperture priority and let the shutter speed fall where it may. Check white balance to make sure you are not experiencing mixed lighting, and then lock in one white balance if there is not too much variance.

I shoot HS Football at ISO 1600, f2.8, and I find the camera choosing 1/125th - 1/250th when the action is under the lights (of a good field), and then it drops to around 1/60th in the end zones. The smaller fields are just a pain to get anything significant.

I have to believe pro-Football is more light balanced across the field and more brightly lit than I experience. Even so, you are going to be hard pressed in action stuff at f5.6 at ISO1600.

Sports Illustrated requires their Nikon shooters to use not more than ISO 640, and their Canon shooters not more than ISO 800, which is why many of them use 200mm, f2 lenses.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Use the highest ISO (1600 in your case, because I think the boosted 3200 is too noisy for software correction to retain enough detail.) Also shoot with the lens wide open, f5.6 with that lens at 200mm. Use aperture priority and let the shutter speed fall where it may. Check white balance to make sure you are not experiencing mixed lighting, and then lock in one white balance if there is not too much variance.

I shoot HS Football at ISO 1600, f2.8, and I find the camera choosing 1/125th - 1/250th when the action is under the lights (of a good field), and then it drops to around 1/60th in the end zones. The smaller fields are just a pain to get anything significant.

I have to believe pro-Football is more light balanced across the field and more brightly lit than I experience. Even so, you are going to be hard pressed in action stuff at f5.6 at ISO1600.

Sports Illustrated requires their Nikon shooters to use not more than ISO 640, and their Canon shooters not more than ISO 800, which is why many of them use 200mm, f2 lenses.

ziggy53

Thanks for the advice. I will try it. I never had any problem using film but did have a problem 2 years ago using a D100. I'm hoping that my D200 will imrove things.
    www.Prideinphotography.com