Professional Photoshop, 5th Edition -- Advance review

2»

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 20, 2007
    The thrust of this book is not CMYK, but color correction for final printing via some medium, whether offset or inkjet.

You do not need to work a lot in CMYK, but you will find that the ability to work and use the channels in CMYK is a real assett even if you plan on only ending up with RGB files.

This is not a book for beginners, but for folks who have serious desire to improve their editing skills. If you are not comfortable working with Layers, it is likely to be challenging to follow. JMO
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Yeah, Pathfinder said almost exactly what I would have said.

The thing about "information about layers" is a little joke with 'Gus. But he didn't rise to teh bait.
    If not now, when?
  • jepperjepper Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2007
    thanks..
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, Pathfinder said almost exactly what I would have said.

The thing about "information about layers" is a little joke with 'Gus. But he didn't rise to teh bait.

Layers is no problem. I just finished his Lab book. Im just looking for a new book on photoshop techniques and must say i am looking forward to K. Eismanns "creative darkroom" - but until then.... Ive been reading some of your summarys on the book in here and i have to ask : Is Dan Margulis using some unessacery (excuse me for my english) difficult techniques to achive relative simple things. I noticed in one of the first chapters that you had a lot of problems using curves in colormode for each r, g,b channel for image enhancement - .So in short: When i read reviews incl. your comments on this book it sure sounds like it is very usable - also for a photographer like me who is just photographing people and printing them on my epson 2400. Sholud i purchase this book?- I know it wont hurt reading it but...thanks jepper
    edited February 21, 2007
    correction
    jepper wrote:
    Layers is no problem. I just finished his Lab book. Im just looking for a new book on photoshop techniques and must say i am looking forward to K. Eismanns "creative darkroom" - but until then.... Ive been reading some of your summarys on the book in here and i have to ask : Is Dan Margulis using some unessacery (excuse me for my english) difficult techniques to achive relative simple things. I noticed in one of the first chapters that you had a lot of problems using curves in colormode for each r, g,b channel for image enhancement - .So in short: When i read reviews incl. your comments on this book it sure sounds like it is very usable - for a photographer like me who is just photographing people and printing them on my epson 2400. Sholud i purchalso ase this book?- I know it wont hurt reading it but...thanks jepper

There should have been a "?" after "also for a photographer like me who is just photographing people and printing them on my epson 2400."
    edited February 21, 2007
    If you've mastered Dan's LAB book, you have a good toolbox. It will be the rare image where the techniques of this book will take you far beyond what you can do with just the techniques in the LAB book. But there are such images.

The chapters on sharpening are much deeper and more complete than what's in the raw book. False profiles are nearly as powerful as shooting in raw for saving over/under exposed images. 10 channel blending is incredibly powerful but takes a long time to master.

If you are only taking portraits and know the portrait technique from chapter 16 of the LAB book, well, buy this book if you think reading Dan's books is fun and getting better at what he has to teach is satisfying and not otherwise.

CMYK isn't directly applicable to your printer, but Dan also shows how to prepare images for conversion to color spaces with different gamuts in general. That is relevant.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 21, 2007
    thanks
    rutt wrote:
    If you've mastered Dan's LAB book, you have a good toolbox. It will be the rare image where the techniques of this book will take you far beyond what you can do with just the techniques in the LAB book. But there are such images.

The chapters on sharpening are much deeper and more complete than what's in the raw book. False profiles are nearly as powerful as shooting in raw for saving over/under exposed images. 10 channel blending is incredibly powerful but takes a long time to master.

If you are only taking portraits and know the portrait technique from chapter 16 of the LAB book, well, buy this book if you think reading Dan's books is fun and getting better at what he has to teach is satisfying and not otherwise.
    thanks Rutt-that did it for me first time around. One day i will get the book - i think. For now im getting Lee Varis Skin Fix (wich is a completly different thing -i know). And no i am not mastering his Lab book but if i had not purchased it i would not know by now what Lab mode is.Now i do and use it sometimes.I dont know anything about CMYK and dont know if im missing out on something. Thanks jepper
    edited February 21, 2007
    jepper wrote:
    For now im getting Lee Varis Skin Fix (wich is a completly different thing -i know). And no i am not mastering his Lab book but if i had not purchased it i would not know by now what Lab mode is.Now i do and use it sometimes.I dont know anything about CMYK and dont know if im missing out on something. Thanks jepper

Lee was in a class of Dan's that I took a couple of years ago. When it comes to getting the most out of an image, Dan likes to say that Lee is a tough customer and it's true. Lee is also a really cool photographer. His web site is full of great eye candy.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 21, 2007
    ok
    rutt wrote:
    Lee was in a class of Dan's that I took a couple of years ago. When it comes to getting the most out of an image, Dan likes to say that Lee is a tough customer and it's true. Lee is also a really cool photographer. His web site is full of great eye candy.

Nice to know about Lee and Dan -then "skin fix" cant be that bad i hope. Thanks again - i will follow your reading group with D.M book.