Don't forget to drool over the new lenses as well:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091411leicalensesfinder.asp

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    I love this camera. iloveyou.gif
    I can remember the 1.st time I went to France to stay chez Pilsudsky, I was going to carry a Leica (?) which my father borought from a friend photographer.

At that time I was some 13/14 years old and was not familiar with the camera.

My father borought his Rolleicord - which I still have - for me to take as well as his light meter from Zeiss.

I think this M8 is very expensive. A very exquisite camera. A master piece.:D

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Indeed, drool. Nice camera and the fact that they figured out how to get wide angle with out the vignette is great news. But man they are proud of their camera$, and the len$e$.
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Andy, I saw the press release and the Dpreview article, but have not managed to find any mention of price yet. Have you seen any indication of price? I s'pose it's one of those - if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

I did also think that it is SO YOU, Andy!!! I mean it is ideal for your style of street shooting, dont'cha think?? Is yours already on order from B&H?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andy, I saw the press release and the Dpreview article, but have not managed to find any mention of price yet. Have you seen any indication of price? I s'pose it's one of those - if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

I did also think that it is SO YOU, Andy!!! I mean it is ideal for your style of street shooting, dont'cha think?? Is yours already on order from B&H?

I think the list price was £2990 and $4795 (US) for the body only. As I said they are very proud of their work.
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    PF, the price is in the DPR piece, on page two.

Fun camera, crazy expensive.

A non-starter.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    $4795 for a camera that's not full frame, today, not years ago?
    Sorry, I'm not arguing quality, but it seems a little like paying for a name. Ick.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    they are excellent cameras,especially for photo journalism and the like,as they are so quiet and relatively compact and the lenses are so good.

they are however over-priced because of the prestige value of the leica name.its like a fashion accessory for some people...

i find rangefinder focussing to be a little fiddly.maybe i need more practice.

now that they have produced a digital rangefinder perhaps voigtlander or someone else(canon used to make them long ago) will come up with a more reasonably priced competitor...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    I showed the photo of the M8 to my girlfriend and asked her how much she thought it was. "20 bucks", she replied. I told her to re-think it, and she said again, "20 bucks" because it "looks like a Holga".

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

She couldn't believe how much it really was...
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    SuperJared wrote:
    I showed the photo of the M8 to my girlfriend and asked her how much she thought it was. "20 bucks", she replied. I told her to re-think it, and she said again, "20 bucks" because it "looks like a Holga".

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

She couldn't believe how much it really was...

:lol4 So, when I get my Holga I can tape over the big "HOLGA" print & try to pass it off as a Leica? headscratch.gif

It's an interesting concept. I find it interesting how close they kept it to the M7...get some of those users to switch more easily? I wonder what the images will look like.
    My guess is that the images will look better than they ever did with film.

The sensor is smaller than full frame, but has more pixels than a 20D, and a 20D easily beats full frame 35mm film.

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    wings.gif i love its design since i saw it on nat geo
    i read old leica rangefinder dont need battery headscratch.gif is that true eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    there's also an epson rangefinder out for about $3000- but its only 6mp. If was Bill Gates, I'd buy the Leica.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    cost
    now you know how Australians feel when they want to buy a 5d-$4500-$5000 AUD(although starting to come down a little)

the Leica would be closer to $6000.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    Great looking camera iloveyou.gif But the lenses all cost more than my 20D :cry Some cost more than my car eek7.gif .....Laughing.gif

Andy, quit drooling and order the darn thing thumb.gif Even if you never let me use it, I will be a celebrity just by hangin' around while you shoot lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    wings.gif i love its design since i saw it on nat geo
    i read old leica rangefinder dont need battery headscratch.gif is that true eek7.gif
    There were any number of film cameras that would work without batteries just fine, Awais.

The Nikon FM3a and the Nikkormat, comes to mind for one, as well as the Leicas. The batteries were only used for the light meter in many earlier film cameras, the shutter was entirely mechanical and spring powered. Early Pentax SLRs as well I believe.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 21, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    There were any number of film cameras that would work without batteries just fine, Awais.

The Nikon FM3a and the Nikkormat, comes to mind for one, as well as the Leicas. The batteries were only used for the light meter in many earlier film cameras, the shutter was entirely mechanical and spring powered. Early Pentax SLRs as well I believe.
    A brand new Vivitar V3800N is capable of shooting without batteries, and it uses Pentax "K" mount lenses, so you can get very good glass for it too.

Makes a good starter camera for $140 with a 50mm, f1.7 lens from BandH.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    ziggy53