Options

Neat Image Plug-in for Photoshop (and Elements)

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited December 12, 2004 in Finishing School
In another thread, a plug-in for PS called "Neat Image" was mentioned. After some light research, I found myself at www.neatimage.com and spent a couple of hours reading through the documentation. All looked good and powerful, so I downloaded the plug-in for Mac OSX.

From the website:

Neat Image is a digital filter designed to reduce visible noise and grain in digital photographic images. It is a tool for owners of digital cameras, flatbed and slide scanners; and is for use by both professional photographers, and digital image processing enthusiasts.
Neat Image not only reduces the high ISO noise associated with image sensors (CMOS, CCD) in digital cameras and scanners, it can also reduce the film grain visible in scanned slides and negatives, JPEG artifacts of overcompressed images, and color banding, and at the same time makes images sharper. Neat Image is indispensable in low-light, sport, and action photography.

Here is an image my Canon 20D at ISO1600, LF jpeg, with only ambient light:

12536264-M.jpg

It doesn't look too bad (20D is awesome at high ISO), but check out a 100% crop of the original, where the noise is readily apparent:

12536020-M.jpg

Now, apply the Neat Image filter (and stock 20D profile for ISO1600 jpeg) with conservative sharpening, low freq, high quality and high res settings:

12536022-M.jpg

Looks pretty good, huh? I could certainly tweak some of the settings to get some fuzzy detail back, but this is a pretty good example of how powerful this tool is. There are a LOT of variables available in this plugin, and I've only really been playing with it for an hour, but I wanted to get this out there so y'all can play with this shiny new toy too. Cost for pro version is about $40 USD, and is available for both Mac and Windows.

I give Neat Image my highest rating: :nod:nod:nod:nod:nod (five nods)
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    His licensing structure is giving me a headache. To be used as a plug-in for CS, if I build/record a macro including his filter, how can he limit the number of times it's run in batch when I preprocess a bunch of pictures in Photoshop? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 11, 2004
    philspace wrote:
    His licensing structure is giving me a headache. To be used as a plug-in for CS, if I build/record a macro including his filter, how can he limit the number of times it's run in batch when I preprocess a bunch of pictures in Photoshop? headscratch.gif
    Apparently, he worked in the CAD/EDA industry selling software tools :D

edit: Fish, which version did you opt for?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    I've been using Noise Ninja for a while, and it does a fine job of removing noise. Although definitely not intuitive, the controls allow for a great deal of flexibility. One does have to load the profile for one's specific camera (they do a good job of keeping profiles up to date.)

My beef with all of these programs is that in order to lose the noise, one must also lose sharpness. The more noise you need to remove, the softer your image will be after processing.

So I've actually stopped using the thing, preferring to live with a little noise. I will occasionally use it on a heavily treated shot, where sharpness isn't important. And I suspect my eyes aren't good enough to detect the minor amount of noise that these programs can remove without substantially affecting sharpness.

Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    edit: Fish, which version did you opt for?

Ian
    Neat Image v2 Pro plug-in /Mac
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I've been using Noise Ninja for a while, and it does a fine job of removing noise. Although definitely not intuitive, the controls allow for a great deal of flexibility. One does have to load the profile for one's specific camera (they do a good job of keeping profiles up to date.)

My beef with all of these programs is that in order to lose the noise, one must also lose sharpness. The more noise you need to remove, the softer your image will be after processing.

So I've actually stopped using the thing, preferring to live with a little noise. I will occasionally use it on a heavily treated shot, where sharpness isn't important. And I suspect my eyes aren't good enough to detect the minor amount of noise that these programs can remove without substantially affecting sharpness.

I rarely use Noise Ninja also - much noise that is visible on a monitor is not really apparent in a printed image sometimes.

I downloaded the MAC plug in for Neat Image after Fish's very critical and weak endorsement of it - NOT!! I am in the process of getting the camera profiles set up. I am really looking forward to using the profiles for the Canon G5 as it is probably the best camera I own for family candids at Christmas.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    Overall, I'd prefer to use minimal post-processing. However, when faced with noisy high ISO (800+) images, programs like this can be the difference between the webpage and the trashbin.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    I've found neatimage indispensable for scanned magazine pics (yes, I'm a fan of Maxim and Stuff photography) and scanned film too. It can work quite the wonder when only set at ½ noise-removal.
    In the example below is (from left to right) an original untouched scan, a 'descreened' scan and finally, a 'descreened' and neatimaged scan. The full view is much nicer. I especially find it useful to archive these and use them for inspiration in lighting setups.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    I've found neatimage indispensable for scanned magazine pics (yes, I'm a fan of Maxim and Stuff photography) and scanned film too. It can work quite the wonder when only set at ½ noise-removal.
    In the example below is (from left to right) an original untouched scan, a 'descreened' scan and finally, a 'descreened' and neatimaged scan. The full view is much nicer. I especially find it useful to archive these and use them for inspiration in lighting setups.
    Good catch, I have a film scanner that I use ever so occasionaly now, but even at 4000 dpi, the noise is terrible - this would be great for that. thumb.gif