Options

What color does the sky look like to you?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited December 25, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
What color does the sky look like to you in these pictures?

http://Davidson.smugmug.com/photos/9011332-M.jpg
http://Davidson.smugmug.com/photos/11314139-M.jpg

On my monitor they are very blue, on my prints they are purplish. I'm trying to figure out which needs profiling.
Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2004

On my monitor they are very blue, on my prints they are purplish. I'm trying to figure out which needs profiling.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    On my iMac, the first shot looks periwinkle.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    OK, that's what people have been saying on other forums too. So the smugmug printing is dead on, but my laptop is way off (though the prints came out good enough). So...anybody want to rent me a monitor profiler?rolleyes1.gif
    Richard
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2004
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    Blue-er. :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2004
    Not quite blue
    Colors like that deserve fancy names like "lavender" or "periwinkle." :D Definitely there's a slightly higher red component in the sky than should be there. However, your color-corrected photo that you posted later does look more like the light blue/cyan color that a clear sky usually ought to be.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Thanks,
    Richard

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    OK, so unless somebody can rent me a monitor calibrator (I'm a broke college student and can't afford to buy one, unless I wanted to bankrupt myself and get the colorvision colorplus, which I hear isn't worth buying), something I don't think worth pursuing, I'll just make my photos look good to me and then before saving shift the blue hue -20.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    Color calibration
    I don't know what image editing software you use, but I do know that Photoshop and Photoshop Elements ship with the "Adobe RGB" control panel. While not as accurate as a true calibration tool, this utility will get you colors that are within the ballpark. I'm not terribly familiar with other image editing applications, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them shipped with a similar utility as well.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

• Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    I use PS CS, but laptop screens cannot be calibrated by software.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    LCD calibration
    I'm not so sure. I have "calibrated" laptop screens using the Adobe Gamma utility, and although the LCD color response is a bit different than a CRT's, in my experience the tool is still useful. While I wasn't been able to set the black level at the point where the utility "wanted" it to be (meaning that highlight and shadow detail wouldn't be as accurate as they should be), I was at least able to get the color balance correct. Sure, it's not as accurate as it could get with dedicated calibration hardware, but it's far preferable to an uncalibrated display.

And by the way, since when can "broke college students" afford laptops and Photoshop CS but not a $99 calibration tool? :D

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

• Options
    edited December 10, 2004
    Dear ol' dad paid for the laptop ($1100 1.5 years ago) and let's not discuss how I came across PS CS. Like I said, I could bankrupt myself and get the colorplus one, but I've heard that that's not so hot, plus I may need some parts for my car (hopefully just a line and not a water pump...working on the car is such a pain in the winter), so that might not be the wisest thing to do. If I get one at some point, is the spyder 2 worth the $80 premium over the colorplus?
    Richard
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    Calibration tools
    I've used a GretagMacbeth Eye-One, but not any of the Pantone devices (Spyder, etc.), so I don't have any basis for a comparison. I'm curious as to what the differences can really be--as far as I can tell, the major difference between a $100 package and a $300 one is the feature set of the software that comes with it.

Any chance you could ask for a calibrator for Christmas? :D

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

• Options
    edited December 11, 2004
    I can't ask for a calibrator for two reasons
    1 - the parents don't exactly support my photography habit (even though I make money doing it)
    2 - I think I'll be asking for the funds for a ball joint and fan clutch insted. My poor tired old car...I'll never let this race horse out to stud, but I think it really wants me to...please don't call PETA on me rolleyes1.gif

Ugh, at some point I'm going to have to sell my dRebel for the cash. If I never bought that damn sigma 70-200 I would be a lot better off (for one thing I would have been able to keep shooting instead of being without a lens because it won't focus...I'm out probably about $400 in print sales profits thanks to that, and I would haev spent $40 sending to the sigma multiple times). It seems I never catch a break.
    Richard
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    I am in trouble: they all look blue on my monitor, to my eyes, as my brain interprets them.

ginger (I understand perfectly having a laptop and CS, but not having the money for a sandwich, to say the least of a calibrator)

I have the solution, we can just shoot sunsets, or close to that time, then the sky would be as we say it is.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    sometimes the brain fools
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am in trouble: they all look blue on my monitor, to my eyes, as my brain interprets them.
    First I thought, when looking at the sky: well it's blue, then I started to look whether it is purple and then it was purple.... The mind sometimes plays games with us, I'm sure. Without reference it is hard to see what we see if you get my meaning :D The brain might think: "Hey, that should be blue, okay, I'll just let this guy think it's blue". Just like those word sequences: reading words is just as easy when the letters are mixed if only the first and last are at the correct place , like this example:
    "Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
    Enjoy your sunday!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 12, 2004
    First I thought, when looking at the sky: well it's blue, then I started to look whether it is purple and then it was purple.... The mind sometimes plays games with us, I'm sure. Without reference it is hard to see what we see if you get my meaning :D The brain might think: "Hey, that should be blue, okay, I'll just let this guy think it's blue". Just like those word sequences: reading words is just as easy when the letters are mixed if only the first and last are at the correct place , like this example:
    "Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
    Enjoy your sunday!

On a MAC in the utilities folder in the applications folder there is a program called "Digital Color Meter" that can read the actual RGB values in the pixels in the sky and this should tell you if the color is displayed correctly or not. I think there is a similar program in Windozs also somewhere.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    First one looks purple to me, second one is more blue.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    On a MAC in the utilities folder in the applications folder there is a program called "Digital Color Meter" that can read the actual RGB values in the pixels in the sky and this should tell you if the color is displayed correctly or not. I think there is a similar program in Windozs also somewhere.
    Excellent idea, pathy...

In 8-bit actual, the first image reads:
    R 121
    G 128
    B 244

second image reads:
    R 128
    G 148
    B 234
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Enjoy your sunday!
    How many "F's" in the following text?

"Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of years"

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    How many "F's" in the following text?

"Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of years"

headscratch.gif
    By the way its 6
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    By the way its 6
    Huh? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    When you do it in your head you're supposed to miss the f's in of. I did the first time I saw something similar, but for some reason this time i caught them.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Huh? headscratch.gif
    He's right. It's six.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2004
    I'll be damned.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll be damned.
    Most people (including me) only see 3, my wife tells me "if you see all 6 straight off your some kind of genius" (she saw 6).

I personally think that if you see only 3, you're the type of person that is able to quickly recognise the important details & prioritize accordingly rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    I saw six, can't speed read those things.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    I just scanned the top of the sentence structure to look for the curve of the f above the other letters. I found 6. I didn't read the sentence, the instructions didn't ask me too. :D