Div II V-ball

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited September 19, 2006 in Sports
Hi all,

Lsat week i solicited some advice for shooting college level volleyball - well here are the results (full gallery here http://troutstreaming.smugmug.com/gallery/1908279/1/96351508)

The lighting was such that I ended up at 1600 with the 85 1.8 at F2 and ISO 3200 with the 70-200 2.8 L IS at 2.8. If I had a 30D instead of a 20d I would have been able to back down a little bit with both, but without the 1/3 ISO stops the shutter speeds were getting too slow in certain areas of the court to go to 800 and 1600.

The match was a Division II GNAC league match between Seattle Pacific University and Western Washington.

96351508-M.jpg

96351564-M.jpg

96351615-M.jpg

96351681-M.jpg

96351805-M.jpg

96351945-M.jpg

96352023-M.jpg

96352064-M.jpg

96352127-M.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Andy
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    Andy, these look good. A number of really nice shots in this series and they really look good for being at such a high ISO, did you run them through a noise reduction program?
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    Andy,

Really great stuff here!! Great timing and as Stephie mentioned they look very clean. I can't tell from this size whether or not they're "too clean" (i.e. too much noise reduction can remove too much detail). For the size posted, they look great.

The bump on the second-to-last photo is definitely the best IMO - great timing and nice tight, sharp crop!
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    Andy, these look good. A number of really nice shots in this series and they really look good for being at such a high ISO, did you run them through a noise reduction program?

The first 4 shots (1st game) and last 2 images (3rd game) were at ISO 1600 with the 85 at F2. The middle images (2nd game) were at ISO 3200 with the 70-200 at 2.8. For the first two games I was shooting RAW, so those images saw ACR noise reduction, followed by Noise Ninja. The third game was shot as jpg's and saw only Noise Ninja reduction (plus whatever in camera reduction canon does when converting to jpg's.) Noise Ninja was run in autoprofile mode as part of a batch action.

Thank you for the kind comments - I need to figure out a way to better handle color rendition in these circumstances. I shot a grey card and tried some shots with that as my color balance, but the difference in the 'shadow' part of the court verus the middle of it created some weird casts - so then I went ahead and shot with the auto white balance and it too wandered all over. In post I tried to make a side panel of the ball 'white', but even then my colors are not what I would like. The heavy noise reduction does not help much either. If they invite me back I am going to have to figure out a few other objects true 'colors' (shoot the seats and the walls with a gray card and then with a flash?) so that I can better play with some color curves on the shots that are worth the effort.

It was an interesting experience - makes me covet a pro body even more as there were some shots that had great composition, but the AF just did not keep up (could not have been the technique...), and I am adding a 135 F2L to my wish list (along with the 200 1.8 and a 400 2.8...) Need to start buying lottery tickets! At least the 135 F2 is available for under $3500.

Thanks for looking and the comments!

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    johng wrote:
    Andy,

Really great stuff here!! Great timing and as Stephie mentioned they look very clean. I can't tell from this size whether or not they're "too clean" (i.e. too much noise reduction can remove too much detail). For the size posted, they look great.

The bump on the second-to-last photo is definitely the best IMO - great timing and nice tight, sharp crop!

Thanks John,

There are definetely a couple that are too smooth at full resolution, so if anyone ends up wanting to use these for any real purpose I will need to go back in and hand tweak the noise reduction.

As for the last dig- if you can't be good, be lucky... I made a good guess on who to prefocus on off a back slide on a free ball and got lucky on the timing.

thanks again for the feedback!

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    That's a great series .clap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave