Crop and Caption Help!

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited September 23, 2006 in Finishing School
Ok, I decided to send in this shot to the Jets. I like the action shots that I took from the stands, but the actual photo quality is WAY too poor. I cropped the reciever shot a few times and want to get your opinion on which one looks best. The idea was to cut out some of the stands and the random people walking around to make it look like this was actual game play.

Also, I need to caption the photo. If I use the real close up shot, you can see his gloves are all ripped up. I thought about captioning this "LUCKY GLOVES". Any other takes on it? Opinions on my idea?

my favorite crop...
full: http://www.jdhaesloop.com/nyj/IMG_9320.JPG
IMG_9320s.JPG

full: http://www.jdhaesloop.com/nyj/IMG_9320_2.JPG
IMG_9320_1s.JPG

full: http://www.jdhaesloop.com/nyj/IMG_9320_2.JPG
IMG_9320_2s.JPG

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    "focus"
    How about "FOCUS" as a caption?

You will not be able to make it look like game play due to the ref and oposing player being in the picture and paying no attetnion to the catch.

I like the first picture the most because it really focuses on his eyes and gloves. Nice capture!

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    Get a shot of a football being thrown in the same lighting conditions at a higher shutter speed and slap that bad donkey on top of that brown blur that's there now. That way your freezing time. You can already tell there is action in the shot, there is no need to have anything blurry if you can avoid it. HINT: Bump up your shutter speed when dealing w/ ppl that are fast for a living.

And what Aaron said.

Good shot though. A little more thought on composition will take your shots far.
    -Jon
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    I like the shot, you captured the concentration required by the receiver very well. And the ball is in a good position too. The worn glove is a nice bonus.

However, I was bothered by the very bright background. so I took the liberty to alter the image. Very crude and quick but can be done better with some time and a bit of PS skill. THe ball is especially bad in this but take a look. I think it puts more emphasis on the face and eyes.

If you do not like it, I can delete the uploaded image easily.

Here goes...

[MOD EDIT: We don't process other's work here in the Whipping Post, just comment and critique. :D]
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    Is this still the whipping post? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    Jeffro- any your point is? :confused
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    sirsloop wrote:
    Ok, I decided to send in this shot to the Jets. I like the action shots that I took from the stands, but the actual photo quality is WAY too poor. I cropped the reciever shot a few times and want to get your opinion on which one looks best. The idea was to cut out some of the stands and the random people walking around to make it look like this was actual game play.

Unfortunately (even before reading your idea) it looked like a receiver playing catch....not a game situation. The ref in the background is not "in action" and it looks (to me anyway) the shot lacks intensity as far as passing as a game catch. The ref is looking at something else...not the ball in play....standing to the side. Too many elements (surrounding persons/background) suggest a warmup. I like the eyes but the background with the red (looks like stripes) is distracting. Creating a layer and toning the overall color/contrast may bring the receiver into greater focus without distraction. Overall, it looks like a tough shot to bring around but it's a great concept...just difficult to execute.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    TomaS wrote:
    Jeffro- any your point is? :confused

Crop and caption help....didn't really think the whipping post was for that type of feedback. Seems lately the posting here are more and more off the path the post used to be on. Or maybe it's just me....oh well.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited September 23, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Crop and caption help....didn't really think the whipping post was for that type of feedback. Seems lately the posting here are more and more off the path the post used to be on. Or maybe it's just me....oh well.

At first, the guidelines make it sound like anything goes. But down further it states that it is not inteneded for 'technical' help. deal.gif

So now I understand the intent and agree with Jeffo - this thread should be in Technique given the caption and request of the poster.