Green Flash Sunset 9/18/06

mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
When sunset looks like that one, it is hard to hope to see a green flash.

Comments

• mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    So I waited with no hope, but I was wrong. Mock miraged sun took all kind of different shapes and at last there was the green flash.
    By the way the last insert in the right lower corner shows a solar flare that I photographed yesterday with my solar scope.
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    VERY elusive, those green flashes. I first read about them in a National Geographic magazine at least 25 years ago and, try as I might, I haven't seen one yet.

I also read that, the further north you go, the longer they last (2/3 second or less at the Equator, but up to 7 seconds at the Poles).

Just a thought!
    Steve-o
  • Jim89Jim89 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    what are the green flashes? never heard of them or seen them...
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    nice but what is green flash ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    nice but what is green flash ?
    Thank you, everybody.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.spaceweather.com/
    Please, go there, scroll the page down. You could see my picture and an explanation to it.
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    very cool shots but again what exactly is or cause the green flashes?
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    wow. I'd always heard that they only happened over open water, never if land or other objects were between you & the horizon, but apparently that's not the case.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    StevenV wrote:
    wow. I'd always heard that they only happened over open water, never if land or other objects were between you & the horizon, but apparently that's not the case.

I saw one once over water in Ibiza. I remember wondering whether the light was really green or if it was some perceptual trick of the eye and brain. Still don't know the answer.
    very cool shots but again what exactly is or cause the green flashes?
    Thank you, everyody.
    In few words green flashes are caused my a mirage. hey are real, but to see one we need a mirage that makes it large enough to see.
    Green flashes can be seen over land, over sea, clouds-top and, when the sun goes behind mountains.
    Please go to that Green Flash page. It provides the best info, pictures and so on. It is interesting.
    http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    mbz wrote:
    When sunset looks like that one, it is hard to hope to see a green flash.

Thanks for the info in your following post, I've never heard of a Green Flash either, how odd ......... what a sunset shot clap.gif thanks for sharing.
    ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited September 20, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Thanks for the info in your following post, I've never heard of a Green Flash either, how odd ......... what a sunset shot clap.gif thanks for sharing.
    ...... Skippy (Australia)
    Thank you, Skippy.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    Great shots! I've looked for the green flash every time I've been in Hawaii, haven't been lucky enough to see one yet. These are some of the best pictures I've seen of one! thumb.gif
    Chris
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Great shots! I've looked for the green flash every time I've been in Hawaii, haven't been lucky enough to see one yet. These are some of the best pictures I've seen of one! thumb.gif
    Thank you, Chris.