Some pics of Monday Night Football

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited September 20, 2006 in Sports
Here are a few pics from MNF in Jacksonville. Thanks to the help of the Dgrinners for their advice. It was hard to get any good ones when I had to deal with the lights and the NFL rules about the size of the lens. I used a D200 with an 18-200mm VR lens. I set the ISO to 640 and used Aperature priority at f5.6. For the most part all of the pictures were at a shutter speed of 80 to 100 so the action did not get frozen. Let me know what you think and I know that I could have done better but I want to know how.

96489668-M.jpg

96489702-M.jpg

96490020-M.jpg

This one is pre-game and I down at field level
96488365-M.jpg
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    You did a good job.

I knew 200mm wouldn't be much help from the stands.

I would have raised my ISO much higher: the single most important thing is to get your shutter speed as high as you can. Obviously, a 1/100 shutter speed isn't nearly enough.

The good news is, your auto white balance seems to have handled the lights very well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    No reason for blur when you have ISO to spare.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    Thanks, at the time I thought that if I went any higher in the ISO under the lights that the grain would be too much. But I guess that what little I gained in the grain I lost a lot mor in the action.
    www.Prideinphotography.com
    Powered by Smugmug
    Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    Thanks, at the time I thought that if I went any higher in the ISO under the lights that the grain would be too much. But I guess that what little I gained in the grain I lost a lot mor in the action.
    nod.gif

Been there, done that. Better to have noise and a decent exposure, than no shot at all.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • CalexPhotoCalexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Those are pretty good pictures from where you were at, plus you were there at the game. I'm a Steeler fan stuck in the midwest, that have yet to be at a ANY pro game, let alone my team the Steelers. Too bad they lost that game, but I'm sure they'll be back. Thanks for sharing.
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    Exactly, unless you are hired for print better to have a sharp grainy photo than a clear blurry one...

Nice job though, these are the things that make having a dslr fun!
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Exactly, unless you are hired for print better to have a sharp grainy photo than a clear blurry one...

Nice job though, these are the things that make having a dslr fun!

I must differ here ... Especially if you're hired for print ... it's better to have a sharp grainy pix than a grainless, blurry pix.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed