SmugMug is Hiring

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support

Comments

• quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Personally I think I would be willing to work for free if I could just have whatever old lenses Andy is thinking of getting rid of. rolleyes1.gif
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    quark wrote:
    Personally I think I would be willing to work for free if I could just have whatever old lenses Andy is thinking of getting rid of. rolleyes1.gif
    lol3.gif I'll pass that along to The Countess of Cash!
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    What are the requirements to even apply as a stay at home helper?
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    Mac Write wrote:
    What are the requirements to even apply as a stay at home helper?
    The main things are a friendly and helpful attitude. Our support ranges from responding to "Ack! I typed in the wrong zip code on my order!" to "I need help getting proper skin tones on my prints."

No one at SmugMug knows all the answers so we learn from each other and work together on the help desk, each person taking Qs they feel comfortable with.

So a willingness to learn and work with others is key. We have an internal wiki where we each contribute answers to certain types of problems.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    The main things are a friendly and helpful attitude.

You've certainly been hitting this goal 100% so far, Chris. I work in a support area of a large corporation and know how difficult it can be sometimes to keep that friendly & helpful attitude. But I have never seen anything less than that from the Smugmug employees and volunteers! I know I certainly appreciate it. Thank you.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    do I have to own pajamas?
    Heh-- couldn't resist. Glad to see you folks are relieving Andy's workload a bit. He's fantastic, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind a little more time to shoot some photos once in a while. mwink.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    What does this job pay? Can i quit my day job?
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    Mitchell wrote:
    What does this job pay?

Also what do you need for people to do? I dont know much about CSS at all... so thats out..... But what exactly is smugmug looking for? I would love to help out since I am online alot........
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    Also what do you need for people to do? I dont know much about CSS at all... so thats out..... But what exactly is smugmug looking for? I would love to help out since I am online alot........

Our help desk answers all sorts of customer questions and concerns:

* help me arrange my galleries
    * how do I get started?
    * help me with pro pricing
    * how can I get the best print?
    * I can't upload
    * my pc died
    * my order didn't arrive yet
    * I double-ordered
    * What is Lustre finish, anyway?
    * I need help with Sharegroups
    * I'd like help with keywording

and so on..

As Chris said above, the main things are a friendly and helpful attitude. Our support ranges from responding to "Ack! I typed in the wrong zip code on my order!" to "I need help getting proper skin tones on my prints."

No one at SmugMug knows all the answers so we learn from each other and work together on the help desk, each person taking Qs they feel comfortable with.

So a willingness to learn and work with others is key. We have an internal wiki where we each contribute answers to certain types of problems.

I hope this helps.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Man, I'd LOVE to answer photography / photoshop related questions, I always respond immediately to personal emails concerning which lab to use, or what DPI / aspect ratio / color space to print in. But that's just one or two emails a month. And it looks like I won't have consistently free time anywhere in the near future, what with shooting weddings and working in construction. I think I had some free time a few months ago but I can't remember what it felt like...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    We made our first hire clap.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=389314#post389314

And we'll be answering all of you who've written us, we wish we could hire everyone! We do plan on hiring more, so stay tuned deal.gif
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Our help desk answers all sorts of customer questions and concerns:

OK that sounds great, I would love to help out and be on the smugmug team, so whats the process to get aboard.... I know photoshop alot, computers mac and pc also know and have learned alot here, so I can also help out on questions here.

rolleyes1.gif is there a test, when and where is the interview rolleyes1.gif
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    OK that sounds great, I would love to help out and be on the smugmug team, so whats the process to get aboard.... I know photoshop alot, computers mac and pc also know and have learned alot here, so I can also help out on questions here.

rolleyes1.gif is there a test, when and where is the interview rolleyes1.gif
    Send an email to help@smugmug.com and we'll talk :)
    So, a note to everyone:

The response is wonderful! And we're excited about all the interest. We have some openings now, and we want to be able to also plan for our growth needs, so there are likely to be openings on an on-going basis as we grow and GROW!

But the one thing that troubles us is that some will get picked and some will not. Always difficult because you are our customers, too. We hope that there won't be any hard feelings about this process for those that we do not hire - sure it's probably obvious but I wanted you all to know that we didn't undertake this lightly...

Thanks!