Using keywords... and how "date" would be helpful

scoodogscoodog Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited September 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi there -- I have been doing a lot to my smugmug site over the last month or so and am having a LOT of fun. One really neat thing, I think, is the use of keywords for photos and displaying the "Web 2.0"-looking list of keywords on your home page. For example, I find it fun to click on my nephew's name and see all of his pics, in reverse-chronological order, and watch him actually get younger!

Which leads me to my point:

It would be really helpful if smugmug would display a photo's date underneath the caption and not require the end-user to click on the "more details: exif" link. Most of the people I have visiting my smugmug site have NO IDEA what exif means -- NOR SHOULD THEY HAVE TO, if you think about it. I'd argue that a core attribute of ANY photo is the date it was taken. An option to have such information displayed under a photo would be a valuable, helpful, useful thing for our end-users to see as they peruse through keyword galleries.

Any possibility of getting this added?

PS -- Thanks in advance for considering this. smugmug is really great.

http://scoodog.smugmug.com

Comments

• dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    scoodog wrote:
    It would be really helpful if smugmug would display a photo's date underneath the caption and not require the end-user to click on the "more details: exif" link....

It would be great if the exif info was available as a variables " as in SMUGDATETAKEN or SMUGISO then we could create captions like:

"This picture I took $SMUGDATETAKEN.
    Details:
    ISO: $SMUGISO
    Zoom: $SMUGFOCALLENGTH..."

etc.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    scoodog wrote:
    Hi there -- I have been doing a lot to my smugmug site over the last month or so and am having a LOT of fun. One really neat thing, I think, is the use of keywords for photos and displaying the "Web 2.0"-looking list of keywords on your home page. For example, I find it fun to click on my nephew's name and see all of his pics, in reverse-chronological order, and watch him actually get younger!

Which leads me to my point:

It would be really helpful if smugmug would display a photo's date underneath the caption and not require the end-user to click on the "more details: exif" link. Most of the people I have visiting my smugmug site have NO IDEA what exif means -- NOR SHOULD THEY HAVE TO, if you think about it. I'd argue that a core attribute of ANY photo is the date it was taken. An option to have such information displayed under a photo would be a valuable, helpful, useful thing for our end-users to see as they peruse through keyword galleries.

Any possibility of getting this added?

PS -- Thanks in advance for considering this. smugmug is really great.

http://scoodog.smugmug.com
    Hi Scoodog, and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Have you looked at our timeline? http://www.smugmug.com/help/timeline this might be something for you!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    wings.gifbarbwings.gif
    dmc wrote:
    It would be great if the exif info was available as a variables " as in SMUGDATETAKEN or SMUGISO then we could create captions like:

"This picture I took $SMUGDATETAKEN.
    Details:
    ISO: $SMUGISO
    Zoom: $SMUGFOCALLENGTH..."

etc.

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I've been thinking about the exact same thing.... I would suggest naming them $EXIFDATETAKEN $EXIFMODEL $EXIFAPERTURE, etc.

I really hate the way smugmug displays the camera make/model "proper cased":

camera: Canon (Canon Eos 30d)

especially since the EXIF info for model is "Canon EOS 30D" and there is no reason to state the make twice. I would prefer to just show $EXIFMODEL.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • scoodogscoodog Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Scoodog, and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Have you looked at our timeline? http://www.smugmug.com/help/timeline this might be something for you!

Ivar, this feature doesn't take care of my needs. I really want the ability to see the date on each photo in the keyword-generated gallery view that comes up.

Also, I've discovered that the ordering of the photos in the keyword-generated gallery views is based on the reverse-chronological order in which the PICTURE WAS UPLOADED TO SMUGMUG. This isn't intuitive. I would like for the ability to display the pictures in the reverse-chronological order in which the PICTURE WAS TAKEN.

I am hoping that these changes can be made. Please let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!!

ScooDog
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    It would be great if the exif info was available as a variables...

Don't forget the IPTC data as well.