Sun Pillar

mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
edited September 22, 2006 in Holy Macro
Pillar that looks as a column of light is created of millions of ice crystals.

Comments

• mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    One more shot
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    :jawdrop I love these...
    Chris
  • thirdlifethirdlife Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    mbz wrote:

I like these very much. Nice job!

Are you using a filter of any kind? Isn't shooting directly into the sun bad for the camera sensor?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Ooo very nice
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Mbz,
    mbz wrote:

I like the pillar, and I just love how you arranged the mini-frames into main one.thumb.gif
    I get a lot of those closeup sun shots during each sunset, and they usually never see the surface of smugmug raid arrays, since they are not that good to post them on their own. But as the insets..- that's otra cosa...
    I'm gonna implement this idea with some of mines, if you don't mind:-) mwink.gif

And I also know what to do with those moon shots, which I also have plenty:-) :ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like the pillar, and I just love how you arranged the mini-frames into main one.thumb.gif
    I get a lot of those closeup sun shots during each sunset, and they usually never see the surface of smugmug raid arrays, since they are not that good to post them on their own. But as the insets..- that's otra cosa...
    I'm gonna implement this idea with some of mines, if you don't mind:-) mwink.gif

And I also know what to do with those moon shots, which I also have plenty:-) :ivar
    Thank you, everybody.
    Nikolai, I've came up with the idea with the small frames not from a good life. The thing is that many of my sunset pictures are getting studying by atmospheric optics experts and they usually want to see few frames because the shape of the sun is changing constantly during sunset. I used to send them each individual frame, but it took lots of time. Nikolai, sure you could use the idea. I'm looking forward to see your new pictures.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    mbz wrote:

You can clearly see the light beam and those smaller shots help us to understand how it all comes together.

I like how you include the smaller images, you did this in a previous post and it works very well with your images indeed thumb.gif

Thank you for your interesting images mbz clap.gif ... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AfterImageAfterImage Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    Wow, that's awesome.
    I've seen that once before and it ranks way up there on the Incredo-Meter.
    Very nice capture iloveyou.gif
    I learned your love for life,
    I feel your presence...
    I remember

SLAMA Photography
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    Geesh!
    Mine are still on my card in the camera! We had a neat pillar of sunset beam near San Francisco.

When we got home from the beach there was a pink pillar still in the sky, but I didn't take a photo of that since it was hidden behind some trees and not as dramatic as at the beach.
    Dee wrote:
    Mine are still on my card in the camera! We had a neat pillar of sunset beam near San Francisco.

When we got home from the beach there was a pink pillar still in the sky, but I didn't take a photo of that since it was hidden behind some trees and not as dramatic as at the beach.
    Thank you, everybody.
    Dee, I took the picture in San Francisco. We saw the same one. I really like to see your pictures.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    My pillar of light
    OK, I'm almost caught up with some unexpected freelance work, so I'll process the photos this afternoon and I'll post in this link so you can see it.

I'm amazed you got green flashes too! I'm always trying to get those.

My camera isn't really set up for burst mode, so I've taken movies with my camera instead, but still... I've seen a few but haven't quite captured them.

Album link: http://deegolden.smugmug.com/gallery/1917556

96969718-L.jpg
    edited September 22, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    OK, I'm almost caught up with some unexpected freelance work, so I'll process the photos this afternoon and I'll post in this link so you can see it.

I'm amazed you got green flashes too! I'm always trying to get those.

My camera isn't really set up for burst mode, so I've taken movies with my camera instead, but still... I've seen a few but haven't quite captured them.

Album link: http://deegolden.smugmug.com/gallery/1917556

Beautiful capture, Dee.