Little Jolin

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited September 22, 2006 in People
Howdy folks! How are ya? Long time no see, havn't been around in a while. But now I'm back, I'm sorry to say! :D :ivar

Anyway, a colleague to my spouse stoped by today, asking me to snap a few pictures of her daughter Jolin. So, unprepared and a little flimsely, I rigged my gear and went along, snapping a few pics in our livingroom. I am still a rookie using my studio flash kit, it's all about trial and error, but it's so much fun and eventually, I'll get the hang of it. (I hope!) :o)

For these pics, I used two 500W flashes (both on lowest output), one with a 90X90 cm softbox, infront, slightly to her left, and one flash bounced in a silver umbrella at her right side, amlost straight down for some hair light.

Does it "work"? Or does the pics look flat? I have found out that it's rather hard to controll 2 st 500W flashes in a small room, like our livingroom, approx. 5X6 meter. Would I be better of with a smaller softbox? Perhaps it's better to use one flash, and use reflectors instead, what do ya recon?
Oh, and just for the record! I really admire thouse who shoot children all days - geee, it really puts ya to the test! She wasn't still one second! :o)

Want comments on lighting and skin tones in particular, please! :wink

96750347-O.jpg

96753298-O.jpg

96750370-O.jpg

Comments

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Matty very cute little girl.
    Love #2 good job I think
    And I don't think they look flat...but no expert here

Fred
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    Thanx Fred!
    Just imagine, I rigged my stuff in our ca 5x6 meter livingroom, and in there was me, Jolin, her mother, my spouse, another collegue to my spouse AND my two children Liam and Elliot going berserk! Honestly, as a "shooting situation" it was a nightmare! rolleyes1.gif

Matty
    USAIR wrote:
    Matty very cute little girl.
    Love #2 good job I think
    And I don't think they look flat...but no expert here

Fred
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    whatta cutie!-

no expert I, but I think the photos look great-
    Thank you! Yes, she is adorable. Next week I'll shoot her again, this time with her twin sister. That'll be fun - and presumably quite tricky! :D

gefillmore wrote:
    whatta cutie!-

no expert I, but I think the photos look great-
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    What a sute little girl.....she almost looks like a porcelain doll.

Great shots all the way!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    Matty,

This little girl is sooo expressive. Her hair, her eyes, her face. Just priceless. I have to think you had a lot of fun with this.

And, it appears your effort for the hair light worked very nicely.

However, I have to be a little contrary to what others have said here. On my monitor (at work, so there is some doubt about what I see) I see the child's top blown just a bit, at least I don't see any detail in a number of areas of her top.

If I'm wrong about the blown top, please accept my apology.
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    i was going to say the same thing, her shirt is blown out in several places.

very, very cute facial extressions, good job capturing those thumb.gif
  • OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    Great capture! You captured her energy and all the cuteness that a young girl should have and you did it under trying circumstances! The brightness does'nt bother me as it seems to match her personality. Gotta love those "eyes". That says it all.clap.gif
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
    Thank you! Yes, she is a doll, isn't she? :o)
    What a sute little girl.....she almost looks like a porcelain doll.

Great shots all the way!
    Thank you, Scott! Yes, it was fun, but I'll have to give creds to thouse who photograph children all days. *Piuh!* They must have been breast-fed with patience. It sure would be interesting to watch a children photograper in action! How do they do it? bowdown.gif

Yes, the pics are a little blown out at some parts. I shot in raw, so I could always pull down on the exposure a little.

Matty

Matty,

This little girl is sooo expressive. Her hair, her eyes, her face. Just priceless. I have to think you had a lot of fun with this.

And, it appears your effort for the hair light worked very nicely.

However, I have to be a little contrary to what others have said here. On my monitor (at work, so there is some doubt about what I see) I see the child's top blown just a bit, at least I don't see any detail in a number of areas of her top.

If I'm wrong about the blown top, please accept my apology.
    Thank you! Yes, there are some blown out...
    ... parts, can't deny that! :D But I shot in RAW so that could easely been corrected.

Matty

gpphotos wrote:
    i was going to say the same thing, her shirt is blown out in several places.

very, very cute facial extressions, good job capturing those thumb.gif
    Thank you, OrvSal!
    Energy is the word! I think we could replace her with one of our nuclear power plants without any significant energy loss! :D

Matty
    OrvSal wrote:
    Great capture! You captured her energy and all the cuteness that a young girl should have and you did it under trying circumstances! The brightness does'nt bother me as it seems to match her personality. Gotta love those "eyes". That says it all.clap.gif
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    last one is really funny thumb.gif She's a real poser :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    Very nice shots Matty, I especially like the capture of the second one. An easy-out with the blown-out whites could be to suggest a different colour. Good skin tones and bright whites aren't best buds, be thinks. The skin looks great, maybe you cood losso the shirt and PP only that.

Malte
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Hehehe very cute and lovely photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    Hmmmm........looks to me like you might have had some experience with this type of shot before.rolleyes1.gif

Just great.thumb.gif