D70 problem

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited October 11, 2006 in Cameras
Ok, so I flipped the on/off switch to fire up my D70 and . . . nothing. The LCD screen on top showed the number of pictures remaining to be taken, just like it does when "off," but all the other information failed to materialize like it should when "on." The green LED on the back started blinking, even after switching to "off." I removed the (charged) battery and reinstalled it. Now the LCD on top is blank, no information, on or off. The green LED is still blinking. Any ideas?
Tim

Comments

• botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Ok, so I flipped the on/off switch to fire up my D70 and . . . nothing. The LCD screen on top showed the number of pictures remaining to be taken, just like it does when "off," but all the other information failed to materialize like it should when "on." The green LED on the back started blinking, even after switching to "off." I removed the (charged) battery and reinstalled it. Now the LCD on top is blank, no information, on or off. The green LED is still blinking. Any ideas?
    Are you being sarcastic? sorry...but i'm used to DPReview.com where Canon guys show up in the Nikon forum asking just such a thing. rolleyes1.gif

It's called the BGLOD...Blinking Green Light of Death. Means it's time to go back to Nikon. Do a quick google on BGLOD or Nikon BGLOD or even more specifically: "BGLOD site:forums.dpreview.com" you'll be innundated. :cry

FYI Nikon should cover this regardless of where your warranty is at. On top of that I do believe what has happened is one of the main wires that connects your camera's onboard circuitry has come loose...which caused the failure and blinking light.
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    botanist wrote:
    Are you being sarcastic? sorry...but i'm used to DPReview.com where Canon guys show up in the Nikon forum asking just such a thing. rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif Botanist,
    We don't let folks like that in here mwink.gif That's the reason why we card everyone at the front door. Just to make sure they can, at the least, show the maturity of a 14 yo :lol :lol

Good catch on this issue thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    botanist wrote:

It's called the BGLOD...Blinking Green Light of Death. Means it's time to go back to Nikon. Do a quick google on BGLOD or Nikon BGLOD or even more specifically: "BGLOD site:forums.dpreview.com" you'll be innundated. :cry

FYI Nikon should cover this regardless of where your warranty is at. On top of that I do believe what has happened is one of the main wires that connects your camera's onboard circuitry has come loose...which caused the failure and blinking light.
    Good explanation.

Tim's no troll, we don't allow trolls here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    My sincerest apologies then Tim. thumb.gif

I'll make sure to assume everyone's asking the question for real from now on. ear.gif

• HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    I wish I were joking. :D

I've called Nikon and will be mailing it to them, hopefully for a free BGLOD repair.
    Tim
    botanist wrote:

I'll make sure to assume everyone's asking the question for real from now on. ear.gif
    nod.gif We're the good guys. lol3.gif

:hide
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    I wish I were joking. :D

I've called Nikon and will be mailing it to them, hopefully for a free BGLOD repair.
    Bummer, man, sorry to hear it. This screws up some plans you had, doesn't it?
    Sid.
    edited September 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Bummer, man, sorry to hear it. This screws up some plans you had, doesn't it?

I don't know how long the repair will take, but I imagine so, yes. :bluduh
    Tim
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    I don't know how long the repair will take, but I imagine so, yes. :bluduh
    Expect 10-13 days... worst case. I had mine back in 11 days, from the day I shipped it.

Have you considered renting a body for your "event"?
    Seymore wrote:
    Expect 10-13 days... worst case. I had mine back in 11 days, from the day I shipped it.

Have you considered renting a body for your "event"?

He could always buy a "backup" off of me thumb.gif Since i'm selling my D70 right now to make way for a D200 clap.gif

• TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    I've had that same problem way back then, and got the camera back after a week.

You get a free sensor cleaning, AF and meter calibration in the deal.

You'll need to download, fill and send the following form along with your camera:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/d70_service_form.pdf

Thierry
    edited October 11, 2006
    Got it back from Nikon yesterday. The repair order says they replaced the metering FPC (whatever that is ne_nau.gif ), cleaned the CCD, and gave it a "general check and clean." They also installed the latest firmware. All for no charge whatsoever, even though the warranty is long expired. It looks great and seems to work fine. So far Nikon customer service is the best I've received anywhere.

Now if my broken collarbone will heal a little more I'll do some shooting . . .

101854557-M.jpg
    Tim
    edited October 11, 2006
    Sweet. Nice to hear a good news story. Harry's had a similarly good experience with Nikon.

Heal well, Tim.
    Sid.