Nikon D70s - How to change file naming

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited September 21, 2006 in Cameras
Hi,

is there a way to change the way this camera names its files from DSC_10XX and so on to something I want??

Like perhaps 10K_10XX and so on? This is cause I have run into a unique problem...I am over 10K in pictures and the counter has reset itself to 0 and going. I have never bothered to rename my files when I download from the computer cause I can just ask someone to give me the #s on the name and I can pull up the pictures. Now, i am having duplicates due to the reset.

Anyway to change this besides renaming when I download from camera?

Thanx
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    Huh, good question. I must be approaching 10k shots on my D70. Sorry I can't help, but I'm interested in the solution, too.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    wildviper wrote:
    Hi,

is there a way to change the way this camera names its files from DSC_10XX and so on to something I want??

Like perhaps 10K_10XX and so on? This is cause I have run into a unique problem...I am over 10K in pictures and the counter has reset itself to 0 and going. I have never bothered to rename my files when I download from the computer cause I can just ask someone to give me the #s on the name and I can pull up the pictures. Now, i am having duplicates due to the reset.

Anyway to change this besides renaming when I download from camera?

Thanx
    Well, I got around this problem by putting my images in separate, named, folders. I have a rather extensive folder arena that is based on the date the image was taken. I've shot nearly 48k shots on my D70, and don't have any issues now.

As for the renaming feature on the D70, I have no idea if this is possible, as I've never had to deal with it. Sorry. But, my work-around makes it easier to find images and works quite well... I may add.

HTH...
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    the best option is to rename your files each time you download them onto your computer.

The best way to do so is to use the date as a prefix, then use any numbering. I start from zero each day.

This way, you won't ever have two pictures with the same name: it's impossible. thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?