Options

SlideshowPro/Flash - Crossdomain.xml

stevesukstevesuk Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
I would like to access my smugmug images from a SlideshowPro flash application hosted on my own web site.

... but, to access images in flash, from a different domain that the flash 'swf' resides, there has to be a file called 'crossdomain.xml' in the root of the 'image' server/domain (in this case it would be smugmug).

Is there such a file here and if not could one be created?

Flickr allows this and the file looks like this:-

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <cross-domain-policy>
<allow-access-from domain="*" secure="true" />

</cross-domain-policy>

Regards,
Steve.

Comments

• Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    stevesuk wrote:
    I would like to access my smugmug images from a SlideshowPro flash application hosted on my own web site.

... but, to access images in flash, from a different domain that the flash 'swf' resides, there has to be a file called 'crossdomain.xml' in the root of the 'image' server/domain (in this case it would be smugmug).

Is there such a file here and if not could one be created?

Flickr allows this and the file looks like this:-

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy (View Source for full doctype...)>
    - <cross-domain-policy>
    <allow-access-from domain="*" secure="true" />

</cross-domain-policy>

Regards,
    Steve.

I would like to use this feature as well on one of my websites....please advise.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    jh4wvu wrote:
    I would like to use this feature as well on one of my websites....please advise.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hi Guys,

We are looking into it, but for now, we don't support this due to security issues, sorry.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Guys,

We are looking into it, but for now, we don't support this due to security issues, sorry.
    And, here's one reason why:

http://shiflett.org/archive/263
  • Options
    cmcbriancmcbrian Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2006
    crossdomain.xml and Flickr
    Hi there,

I'm totally itching to get my nifty Flash based application working with SmugMug. From reading the exploit article that was mentioned in this thread, it looks like Flickr (Cal Henderson) got around the issue by moving the APIs to another domain (api.flickr.com).

So where are you guys (the fine engineers at SmugMug) at in evaluating the security issues of crossdomain.xml?

-Charles
  • Options
    gi7kmcgi7kmc Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2006
    Workaround
    I am thinking about getting a SmugMug account but I would like to use Slideshow pro on my own site to display my photos. The good news is I might have a work around but it does require a bit of programming.

What I plan to try is this:
    Set up the links to images in the xml config file for slideshowpro to point to a script on my webserver with the real url as a parameter to the script e.g. http://www.mywebsite.com/getSmugMugPhoto.php?url=http://www.smugmug.com/photos/XXXXX-L.jpg

The script on my site then gets the image from SmugMug (with a bit of logic thrown in to handle caching so if the client already got the image we return a 304 code) and passes it back the client webrowser/flash app

(I am planning to use PHP and Curl but any good web scripting language would do)
    If it does work then the next step will be to make use of the SmugMug API and autogenerate the XML config file for SlideShowPro

I'll let you know how I get on.

Jonathan
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2006
    I have a release pending of SmugSSP, that allows for integration between SmugMug and SlideShowPro.

More details soon mwink.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    I have a release pending of SmugSSP, that allows for integration between SmugMug and SlideShowPro.

More details soon mwink.gif
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow you keep coming out with more and more stuff, don't you? thumb.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2006
    SmugSSP is released
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos