More snaps from a different match can be found here:
http://www.garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/1915463

96831862-L.jpg
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    I really hate bright sunlight. You've got a great capture here - not much you can really do about the blown highlights in spots - it's a sad fact of life with the conditions it looks like you were shooting in.

Great timing!!!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Thanks for commenting. Yeah ... harsh, midday, post marine-layer-burn-off, SoCal sun pretty much sucks. I can expose for the grass and have no detail in the faces ... or expose for the faces (usually in shadows) and get blown out everything else. The shadows are so polar from the highlights that exposing in the middle ... just get you mud and everything looks crappy. Well, it is what it is.

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    Hi Gary.
    Let me suggest something about harsh light:
    Use a ND filter and shoot at 200 ISO

I no longer have harsh light in Portugal but I feel (?) it works. :D

Regards. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    Hi Gary.
    Let me suggest something about harsh light:
    Use a ND filter and shoot at 200 ISO

. :D

Regards. thumb.gif

Thanks Antonio ... I'm willing to try but just can't seem to see how it would help. I understand the ND filter lowering my highlights a zone or two .. but it would also lower the shadows a zone or two also ... making the shadows even darker and keeping the same extreme latitude (zones) between highlights and shadows. But what the heck ... I'll try it.

"I no longer have harsh light in Portugal but I feel (?) it works"
    Ahh to live in Portugal ... nows there's the life. Move over Antonio I am on my way there!

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    Gary,
    I agree with you, re: using an ND. But, with this light intensity, a CPL may help some. It definitely does reduce non-metallic glare. So if it works on things like bird beaks, I am thinking it should also help reduce skinglare too ne_nau.gif

Either that or get these people to schedule games during sweet light...Laughing.gif

Nice capture thumb.gif But that harsh light is a killah :cry

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited September 22, 2006
    Thanks Steve, glare is one thing ... extreme exposure dynamics beyond the capabilities of my Canon, APS-C sensor is another.

I'm no CPL expert, but I don't think a CPL would do much good due to the CPL's requirement of having to rotate for the proper degree of polarizing. In soccer, the participants are constantly and swiftly changing direction up and down the field ... as I shift my focal direction to follow, so shifts the direction of the light and in-turn shifts the anti-glare capabilities of a CPL. (Can't rotate a CPL and follow action ... if I was setting up on just the goalie ... then yeah a CPL would work but otherwise ...)

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    ... Ahh to live in Portugal ... nows there's the life. Move over Antonio I am on my way there! Gary
    Gary, This sentence ie too much for me. Can you please "translate" it ? eek7.gif
    These are examples of the use of a ND filter with harsh light.
    Better view

88985003-S.jpg88984696-S.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook