Options

resumes for gallery submissions

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 23, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
many galleries in my area are calling for gallery submissions.

They are asking for various things, but all want resumes.

OK..............does anyone do this type of thing? Suggestions for the photographer who has only spoken dGrin stuff and smugmug stuff, as far as photography goes, ever, to speak of.

I mean I exhibited somewhere a couple of times in the 70s, but all I remember is that it was somewhere around Wichita, Kansas.

I am choking big time. I did do a search. The cover letter info I found was not along the line I think I need.

As, an aside, for at least one place I am going to use a backup CD from smugmug.

I have already presented a question to smugmug about that.

ginger (CrazyCreekBabe...........do you all think I should use that as a signature? and with no emoticon::cry , for me, well, smile!)

the insecure
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2006
    I hope some others that post here have some advice. Don't necessarily think of it like a job resume as much, sometimes galleries are looking for new submitters instead of the same ones that have their stuff all over town.

Hopefully some of photographers that do more in the fine arts area can post their info here. You may even try to search out a few.

I remember a few posts in the mind your own business area about people putting large images in gallery etc. You may have to search a few posts and pm those.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    many galleries in my area are calling for gallery submissions.

They are asking for various things, but all want resumes.

OK..............does anyone do this type of thing? Suggestions for the photographer who has only spoken dGrin stuff and smugmug stuff, as far as photography goes, ever, to speak of.

I mean I exhibited somewhere a couple of times in the 70s, but all I remember is that it was somewhere around Wichita, Kansas.

I am choking big time. I did do a search. The cover letter info I found was not along the line I think I need.

As, an aside, for at least one place I am going to use a backup CD from smugmug.

I have already presented a question to smugmug about that.

ginger (CrazyCreekBabe...........do you all think I should use that as a signature? and with no emoticon::cry , for me, well, smile!)

the insecure

If you're short on formal exhibitions and art education, your resume should read more like an artist statement with a little bit of a bio thrown in for filler. Do a search on "how to write an artist statement". There are tons of approaches.

If they like your work, most galleries just want some info they can use to talk about you with potential patrons.

Really work on describing your art. It's your bridge. If you can describe what you do and why, there comes a clarity for you and for others. And it helps you make better work too.

Don't sweat it. Just start writing.

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    If you're short on formal exhibitions and art education, your resume should read more like an artist statement with a little bit of a bio thrown in for filler. Do a search on "how to write an artist statement". There are tons of approaches.

If they like your work, most galleries just want some info they can use to talk about you with potential patrons.

Really work on describing your art. It's your bridge. If you can describe what you do and why, there comes a clarity for you and for others. And it helps you make better work too.

Don't sweat it. Just start writing.

cheers!
    Trish

I am facing the same thing as well, when you are writing use a word like passion rather than love. And gush about symbolism, the meaning of the art. If the images are good they hopefully will pick them up. It's art that they want and art is all about symbolism, passion, and meaning. Knock'em dead. It's not a child sitting there looking into space its a child pondering his future thumb.gif:D
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    I am facing the same thing as well, when you are writing use a word like passion rather than love. And gush about symbolism, the meaning of the art. If the images are good they hopefully will pick them up. It's art that they want and art is all about symbolism, passion, and meaning. Knock'em dead. It's not a child sitting there looking into space its a child pondering his future thumb.gif:D

Also, be sincere. Don't make up stuff that isn't there.

If there isn't much about your work that is conceptual, you can talk about the formal qualites:
    - what subjects you're drawn to?
    - do you prefer hard lines and shadows, or the muting of soft light
    - do you have a favorite focal range (macro, wide-angle)
    - do you print on a particular substrate, aspect ratio, size? why?
    - etc.

Or about your process:
    - do you pick a certain time of day? why?
    - do you have any editorial rules: e.g. touch nothing
    - do you impose constraints: e.g. pick one lens and one direction and walk for an hour
    - etc.

If this isn't stuff doesn't come to you when you look through your body of work, take a notebook out when you shoot and write down what you notice.

I just recently took a workshop on artist statements from an artist/curator who reads them for galleries. A few tips from him about what not to do.

Avoid:
    - theorizing on the human condition
    - speaking about yourself in the 3rd person
    - making assumptions about the viewer or universalities
    - talking about your ideas as complex rather than showing complexity through examples

cheers,
    Trish