Crop this photo (Hit me with your best crop)

2»

Comments

• ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    I shoot for what grabs my eye which is usually a building,farm,sunset,sunrise,light and artsy looking scene.
    I want something to jump out at me whether its colors or shapes.

So i don't know I guess that's kinda a story.
    Fred
    Yeah, by "story" I don't mean a beginning, middle and ending. :D But you just said it yourself: "I want something to jump out at me." So, you need to decide if you want your viewers to see the same thing you did. If so, how can you make the viewer focus on what you saw? That's where cropping can help.
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Ok here's another one.
    Old farm house up the street I walk past it late afternoon every day.
    Thought I better shot it before it falls down.
    IR 717

98611071-L.jpg

Fred
    This is a perfect example to clarify what I mean by "story". What do you want the viewer to see here? Two big trees and a small farm house? If so, then you wouldn't crop it. To me, the story here (in the original picture) is: "Small farm house is swallowed up by two big trees."

But, if you want the farm house to be the "story", you would need to crop out a lot of those trees, so that the viewer sees the farm house and isn't distracted by the trees.

See? It just depends on what you want the viewer to focus on.
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    I made this crop in a second because I'm in a hurry.
    I would like to say something else, but I don't have the time.eek7.gif
    thumb.gif98672368-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    ChuckWC wrote:
    Yeah, by "story" I don't mean a beginning, middle and ending. :D But you just said it yourself: "I want something to jump out at me." So, you need to decide if you want your viewers to see the same thing you did. If so, how can you make the viewer focus on what you saw? That's where cropping can help.

Ok I see what you mean Chuck good explanation.

Fred
    ChuckWC wrote:
    This is a perfect example to clarify what I mean by "story". What do you want the viewer to see here? Two big trees and a small farm house? If so, then you wouldn't crop it. To me, the story here (in the original picture) is: "Small farm house is swallowed up by two big trees."

But, if you want the farm house to be the "story", you would need to crop out a lot of those trees, so that the viewer sees the farm house and isn't distracted by the trees.

See? It just depends on what you want the viewer to focus on.

I croped this image two ways one like Antonio did in his crop.
    And the other the house was more central and both I like.

Thanks
    Fred
    I made this crop in a second because I'm in a hurry.
    I would like to say something else, but I don't have the time.eek7.gif
    thumb.gif98672368-M.jpg

Antonio good one this is very similar to one of mine
    My second crop the house was a little more centered.

Thanks
    Fred
    edited October 11, 2006
    101825314-M.jpg101825329-M.jpg

Fred: I post today two views of the same scenario. Tell me about it, please.
    thumb.gif
    edited October 13, 2006
    101825314-M.jpg101825329-M.jpg

Fred: I post today two views of the same scenario. Tell me about it, please.
    thumb.gif
    Well here's how I would have cropped the photos.

102280652-L.jpg102280628-L.jpg

Just a little different then yours.
    First one I tried to include the 2 or 3 palm trees on the left and also the city.
    And I tried to get rid of a lot of the sky ( which I would fix in photoshop).

Second one I tried to do the same with the city and sky but get closer to the camel.

Both are very fast crops was in a hurry getting ready for a holiday.
    Going to be gone for a week or so...hope to get some good shots of the fall colors here.

Thanks
    Fred
    edited October 13, 2006
    Have a nice time.
    I'm going to sleep now. My wife is waiting for me.

Remember: take your shots slowly. Think a bit of what you are doing. Think about the composition at once, at the shot, not at the crop moment.

Have a nice travel/flight/whatever and be Heathy.
    See you.thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    edited February 9, 2007
    Hi Fred ! :D

What's up ?

thumb.gif
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    barn shot...
    Here is my crop and perspective repair of this photo... I find it very frustrating and difficult at times when shooting buildings... because it really takes specialized equipment to shoot architecture so everything is squared up perfectly when the shot is taken...

Any way... I cropped first using the crop tool and rotating the crop box so the bottom line was parallel with the bottom of the barn… Then I created a new layer and “ctrl t” to transform the new layer… right click in the image and you get your transform options… I used distort on this one to square up the roof by moving the left corner up and in a little… re-cropped and flattened.

Sometimes this technique takes several tries and another crop… Always best to shoot it perfect the first time or go back and shoot again if you can… Of course in a perfect world, the less messing around with the shot in Photoshop the better…

I wouldn’t crop the store image…

Regards,
    Winston