Thursday Night Throwback GT vs UVA

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited September 22, 2006 in Sports
Thanks for the help last night everyone..I think I got some decent shots from the Georgia Tech vs. Virginia game last night. It was Throwback Thursday Night for Georgia Tech wearing white helmets and darker gold jerseys from the 1970 -71 era. I LOVED THE UNI's. Here are a couple of shots. Please give me your feedback.
97084515-L.jpg

97085904-L.jpg
97087223-L.jpg

97089610-L.jpg

97042392-L.jpg

97089404-L.jpg

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    feedback
    Hey, must be nice to have good seats to college football :D

I'm going to give you two reviews here:

Review 1: These are some very nice fan shots from the stands. You've caught some interesting action here and definitely better than 99% of the rest of the fans are going to come away with. So, enjoy.

From a sports shot perspective though, things are different:
    Shot 1: way too loosely cropped. Need to be much tighter on the action and still the people on the sidelines are going to be a distraction. The only way to overcome that would be if your photo was sharp enough to crop down just on the torso of the receiver and the ball.

Photo2: Again, way too loosely cropped for a good sports photo. The dish in the bottom of the frame really detracts. Timing is also a bit off - you don't know if the guy scored or was caught by the defender. The play is also going away from you so it's inherently less interesting than if it were coming towards you. This is one of the biggest disadvantages of trying to shoot sports from the stands - you can't move to where you need to be to get decent angles.

Photo3: a little soft - the guy in the background may be a little sharper. Though I like the idea of the shot - this is the type of shot you can get away with as a fan not on the field. The expression is great. If it were sharper this would be an excellent shot.

Photo 4: Sharper than the previous but less interesting. The angle hurts a bit (again, beyond your control) and less interesting subject.

Photo 5: The punt is probably the best of the bunch. A loose crop can work here because the block is part of the 'story' and doesn't detract. Timing isn't too bad but could be a little better (i.e. foot extended looks better than foot back) but at least the ball is in the air so it looks better than if still in hishand. But, it's still too soft for a great sports shot. Again, this is due more to aspects beyond your control.

So, bottom line - these are nice fan shots from the stands. But, as sports shots you were doomed before you started. Shooting from the stands is just too difficult to get tight action, sharp crisp images and nice blurred backgrounds (and no distracting images in foreground). And, of course the angle - shooting down on field sports is always going to look a lot worse than shooting at their level or preferably upward (from sitting or kneeeling position). So, while the criticism may sound harsh - the good news is there isn't a whole lot you could do differently given your circumstances. For decent football shots, you really need to be on the field.

Hope it was a good game! And again, good job on your part doing what you could given the situation.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    Thanks johng...
    As I posted yesterday prior to the game when I was looking for help, I was aware of my limitations in regards to vantage point, equipment and experience. I know that these are not anywhere near the quality of most (almost all) other posters on the board, but I am learning. I really appreciate your feed back. I have done absolutely no post processing to these pictures and I am not sure that that would make a huge difference anyway.

Again, thanks for looking at my shots and for providing comments.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    I know that these are not anywhere near the quality of most (almost all) other posters on the board, but I am learning.

If you are serious about learning, I would suggest going to local HS JV or freshman games (day games). You should have no issues getting on the sidelines - you'll learn a lot more that way than trying to achieve the impossible from the stands. You'll be amazed how much better your shots will be when your on the field.