30d V. 400d

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited September 23, 2006 in Cameras
okay, well, I just got my 30D a couple of months ago, and now the XTi is out! it's almost TWO megapixels more and has the same 9-point AF system, and has a self cleaning system...but it doesn't have the cool scroll wheel or the top LCD.....

what would y'all do? I love to print my pictures REALLY big, and when I go to Paris for my 18th birthday, I plan on taking tons of pictures, and finding one that I can blow up for our foyer and make my own frame for it- - somewhere along the lines of 44 X 60 or so. (btw, do you know what I can find oversized matte board?) either way - - - - is the two megapixels worth the change? cause there's a big price different between the XTi and the 30D too, and I could buy a new lens....? I don't know - I'm really torn between the two, now.

the XTi isn't made of a magnesium alloy body (like the 30D) though, will it feel less sturdy?

I value Dgrin's opinion - Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

- rE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    I love to print my pictures REALLY big, and when I go to Paris for my 18th birthday, I plan on taking tons of pictures, and finding one that I can blow up for our foyer and make my own frame for it- - somewhere along the lines of 44 X 60 or so.
    J: Have you considered stitching images (of say the Eiffel Tower) to create a megafile?

H: Perhaps something unusual?

http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=76196

J&H
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    rosselliot wrote:
    okay, well, I just got my 30D a couple of months ago, and now the XTi is out! it's almost TWO megapixels more and has the same 9-point AF system, and has a self cleaning system...but it doesn't have the cool scroll wheel or the top LCD.....

what would y'all do? I love to print my pictures REALLY big, and when I go to Paris for my 18th birthday, I plan on taking tons of pictures, and finding one that I can blow up for our foyer and make my own frame for it- - somewhere along the lines of 44 X 60 or so. (btw, do you know what I can find oversized matte board?) either way - - - - is the two megapixels worth the change? cause there's a big price different between the XTi and the 30D too, and I could buy a new lens....? I don't know - I'm really torn between the two, now.

the XTi isn't made of a magnesium alloy body (like the 30D) though, will it feel less sturdy?
    - rE

The 30D to the XTi is clearly a step backwards. 2mp is not that big a deal. Dust is not that big of a factor that I would consider the self cleaning system something that would convince me to go backwards. The build quality on the 30D is going to be better than the XTi. I wouldn't even give up my 20D for an XTi. I don't even care if the next evolution of the 30D has the self cleaning system...just something else to break. I have Sensor brush....works like a dream whenever, and where ever I did it, which isn't all that often anyway.

Cha-ching! (2 cents) :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Firstly, it takes about 50% more MPs to even remotely see a difference between sensor IQ (even then you have to blow the image way-up.

Secondly, there is a problem with noise when you cram too many MP on a small sensor ... the XTi has serious noise problems giving the 20D/30D a superior image (google XTi tests and see for yourself). Ther XT and 20D/30D have the same IQ ... but early reports have indicated that the XTi's IQ has diminished.

The 20D/30D is better built, faster on FPS and easier/quicker to use. The Self Cleaning is handy and dandy ... but I'll take a better IQ, robust body, more FPS, ease of use over self-cleaning. Get a 10-22 EF-S for the trip and never look back. I'll take a 30D over an XT any ol' day.

In the beginning MPs did make a difference, but now ... MPs are used more as a lure for ill informed buyers than a significant difference in IQ.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2006
    Don't even have to think about it: keep the 30D. No question.

The reasons are already stated.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Stop worrying about the camera, and have fun and go out and shoot.

Heck, you're lucky to have any DSLR at your age. Enjoy it, and remember: it's NOT the camera.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    Dude, even if everything already stated wasn't true, the fact is that a new, better camera than the one you have is gonna come along every few months. If you try to keep up, you'll end up spending thousands of dollars a year and never have anything to show for it except a pile of bodies, each one only slightly different from the next. It's just something you have to accept with digital. Soon after I bought my D70, they came out with the D200. It's a better camera in every way. More MP, metal body, vertical grip option, blah, blah, blah. But you know what? My D70 works just fine, and until it dies or I can afford a serrious pro body, I'm happy to stick with what I've got. Don't worry, be happy. :cool

Fred

P.S. I've never tried, so I'm just guessing, but if you want to make poster sized prints, my guess is that you'll be looking at them from a few feet away, in which case they will look sharp. Ever seen a Monet painting in real life?
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    If you trade in your 30D for a 400D...
    By the time you get to Paris, you'll wanna jump off the Eiffel Tower...:hang

JMHO...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    well, this had my choice very easy. :)

thank you very much!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4