Sigma 120-300 2.8
Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
my Galleries
http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    nice pics oldtimethumb.gif I like the last the most.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Nice Old Time. You have a lot of "sharp" background which is distracting ... remember to shoot wide open. My longest lens is a Bigma and at 500 the aperature is 6.3 which is far from perfect for sports bokeh .. maybe you have a similar problem. Be that as it may ... your last shot is terrific ... but (the big but) no ball. As a general rule, if the sport uses a ball ... then one has to have a ball in evey shot (there are exceptions to the rule).

So I would PS in a ball in the last image (as long as you do not plan for this image to be used journalistically - gotta have a disclaimer - lol).

On the first shot I'd get a tighter crop. I would crop down from the top to about the ear level of the OOF defender and in from the left eliminating the green player ... this would give greater emphasis to #22 and effectively frame the left side of the image. On the second I'd lighten up the faces a bit and burn in the background and ball just a tad. The third I'd try to get centered ... so crop from the left to the edge of his hand and add more to the right if you can. #4 I'd darken up the keeper a bit.

These are nice images (an overcast day sure helps) my suggestions may or may-not work ... just something that may take your already good shots and make them a tiny bit better.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    #2 and the last are definitely the sharpest.

I agree with another poster that the last one suffers for not having a ball in it. However, journalistic or not - IMO you should never photoshop a ball into a photo - sports photography, by it's nature is capturing a moment in time. Putting a ball, puck or other object into a frame is just dishonest.

The other photos are all more interesting captures than these 2 but also a lot softer. If you can get the timing of the other shots with the sharpness of these - those will be terrific shots.

Good job and keep shooting!
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    Good stuff Oldtime....Soccer for me is hard to shoot. Not sure why.
    I agree with Gary . . open that lens up and that will help isolate your
    players. I makes is more pleasing to the eye..Nice shots.

Rod