Challenge 74 - Laser Show at Stone Mountain

EdHEdH Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited October 2, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
My wife and I went to the laser show tonight at Stone Mountain outside of Atlanta. For those of you not familiar with it, it's a laser and pyrotechnic show choreographed to music with the lasers being projected onto a huge exposed piece of granite called Stone Mountain. It's a very popular summertime tradition here in Atlanta.

I was set up trying to get some interesting shots of the lasers and fireworks on the mountain when my wife suggested maybe the best shot was behind us. She was definitely right!

I'm thinking of entering one of these two versions into the neon challenge. The first shot was a long exposure of the crowd of people watching the show behind us. On the camera LCD it looked too dark so on the next one I waited for some fireworks to lighten things up a little bit. I'd love to hear which one you guys like better before I enter the challenge. Thanks!

97444975-L.jpg

97444976-L.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 24, 2006
    Great idea. The only problem I see is that the light source is in the center of the pics but not quite centered. The first pic it could be dealt with by cropping but the second pic (which i think is the stronger image) the angle might make it tough to crop it centered.
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    I think I like the first one better because of the way the lazer beams are seperated. Maybe you could get some more detail out of the crowd with PS. Either shout would be a worthy entry - props to your wife for thinking outside the box, and to you for good execution.

Fred
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    I love that first one
    Look at the people......they look like they are in a trance...which in my opinion really adds to the overall flavor of the shot.....with the laser beams coming dirctly behind....you can tell everyone is mesmorized by what they are seeing on screen (or whatever they're looking at). This is a great image! The guy on the left with the box of popcorn really tells the entire story...wow....way way cool!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • EdHEdH Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I think I'm leaning toward the first one but I still haven't decided. Anybody else have an opinion?
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    nice.

for those of you who dont know, the "screen" that the lasers are projected on is the largest dome mountain in the world.

this is the view if his camera was pointing the other way :)

stone-mountain.jpg

(photo google'd from www.thornvalley.com)
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    I've been to the stone mountain laser show a few times... Cool event

As for your pics, they look cool!

I tend to lean towards the first, because it is crisper, while the second is blurred, albeit brighter.

Good job, and good luck!