Tribe Football - future suggestions?

IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited September 25, 2006 in Sports
Hey guys. I took pics of the W&M Tribe v. VMI game last night. It was my first time covering a football game. I'd like your advice on where and what I can do better in the future. The pictures are edited, mainly cropping, levels, curves, and a little contrast. If you think it would be better to see the originals, I can put them up too. Let me know what you think.

97563596-M.jpg
Exif

97563632-M.jpg
Exif

97563674-M.jpg
Exif

97563704-M.jpg
Exif

97563736-M.jpg
Exif

I included this pic for the sake of it. The NCAA declared that the two feathers in our logo were offensive to Native Americans and therefore, needed to be removed. To say the least, the ruling hasn't been well received around here.
97563543-M.jpg

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Irene
Irene Rojas
BlogWebsite

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 25, 2006
    Irene,
    Good work thumb.gifthumb.gif Good action, good faces, decent exposure and undisturbing backgrounds clap.gif

I'd say you are about 2/3 of a stop too slow to better freeze the action. But these still look very nice. Not too much motion blur. I played around a little. Basically taking levels up even more, adding some fill flash and sharpening. I cropped a few too. Not that my edit is any better than yours. I already see where I could have spent a bit more time and not have been as heavy-handed in some areas ne_nau.gif

Did you shoot these in RAW? If so, you can really get nice blended exposures. IOW, convert one RAW for the shadowed and one for the highlights and blend the two. This winds up giving a resulting image with greater dynamic range than what you can get from a jpg :D

97563596-L.jpg

original.jpg

97563674-L.jpg

original.jpg

97563704-L.jpg

original.jpg

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    I included this pic for the sake of it. The NCAA declared that the two feathers in our logo were offensive to Native Americans and therefore, needed to be removed. To say the least, the ruling hasn't been well received around here.

Irene - I am from Illinois. The university here is also on that list. It is not sitting well here either. We are the Fighting Illini....And yes the Illini was an indian tribe. We are neither hostle or abusive around here.

BTW - I like your pics. Looks like you are on the field. Try using flash if possible. Here is one of mine from a high school game . Your stadium lights I am sure are much better than this.

Shot at 2.8 1/500 with sb-600 set to manual and 1/8 power.

97232549-L.jpg

Rod