Options

My Favorite Shot From November.

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited December 14, 2004 in Landscapes
I was in Baltimore, wandering the harbor area after dark, hoping for a shot. Well, I used up a lot of frames, but I can't say I found anything worth shooting... not for the first hour of my walk, anyway. I certainly found myself missing the tripod I didn't have room to pack.

Anyway, near the end of my walk, I went down a ramp onto the floating docks where the clipper ships are tied up. You never know where you'll find your next good shot.

12601870-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 12, 2004
    Waxy, this is a cool shot!

I love the shadows/lighting!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I was in Baltimore, wandering the harbor area after dark, hoping for a shot. Well, I used up a lot of frames, but I can't say I found anything worth shooting... not for the first hour of my walk, anyway. I certainly found myself missing the tripod I didn't have room to pack.

Anyway, near the end of my walk, I went down a ramp onto the floating docks where the clipper ships are tied up. You never know where you'll find your next good shot.

12601870-S.jpg
    That's gorgeous Sid clap.gifclap

Is the horizon slightly off? (You see what you've done to me andyrolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Nice cut waxremover...looks like a stage with a canvas hanging behind. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    That's gorgeous Sid clap.gifclap

Is the horizon slightly off? (You see what you've done to me andyrolleyes1.gif)
    umph.gif

lol3.gif I dunno, I tried moving it. Which way do you think it's off? I used the lampost as my guide. But the rubbish bin looks off, as do the hand rails. The background building looks OK, though. No? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Hey - This is a really cool shot - I like it. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    umph.gif

lol3.gif I dunno, I tried moving it. Which way do you think it's off? I used the lampost as my guide. But the rubbish bin looks off, as do the hand rails. The background building looks OK, though. No? ne_nau.gif
    I've got a shot of Canary Wharf that I can't seem to get to look right, the horizon is straight but the buildings look like they're leaning ne_nau.gif .

Its tough to get the camera straight at night, the edges of the vf often blend with the scene. I bought a Manfrotto (thanks for the suggestion Lubenthumb.gif) hot shoe spirit level which makes life much easier.

Anyway, its difficult to see with the building, but I was looking at the far river bank, it seems to run down to the left. I think maybe its just the perspective as the river moves back. (Sid, it may just be me, I have astigmatism, so I don't always see lines quite as they are rolleyes1.gifShould have told you that before)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    sid this is a sweet shot clap.gif

reminds me of a shot i took in a similar scene cuppla weeks ago, on the wharf in monterey ca:

12563479-L.jpg

no room for tripod? headscratch.gif i give up my clothes to make room for it lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I've got a shot of Canary Wharf that I can't seem to get to look right, the horizon is straight but the buildings look like they're leaning ne_nau.gif .

Its tough to get the camera straight at night, the edges of the vf often blend with the scene. I bought a Manfrotto (thanks for the suggestion Lubenthumb.gif) hot shoe spirit level which makes life much easier.

Anyway, its difficult to see with the building, but I was looking at the far river bank, it seems to run down to the left. I think maybe its just the perspective as the river moves back. (Sid, it may just be me, I have astigmatism, so I don't always see lines quite as they are rolleyes1.gifShould have told you that before)

Yeah, a level would fefinitely help. I think using a waterline as a horizon can be a dangerous guide, as it's not necessarily a straight line. In this case, it's receding from the left side to the right side, as the harbor/bay opens up. I adjusted it to make the lightpost vertical, and I see that also made the background building vertical, so I let it be. ne_nau.gif

Astigmatism, eh? umph.gif Does this look straight?

12662802-M.jpg

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifFLIPA.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    andy wrote:

reminds me of a shot i took in a similar scene cuppla weeks ago, on the wharf in monterey ca:

12563479-Th.jpg

no room for tripod? headscratch.gif i give up my clothes to make room for it lol3.gif

Thanks, Andy. I love isolation shots, and you have a nice one here. I keep thinking about making some sort of essay on it.

I'm scared to give up clothes for a tripod on a working trip... sometimes we get sweaty and dirty. But there's no question a tripod would have helped on more than one occasion. I must admit, since moving on from the slow G3, I've used a tripod far less than before.
    Sid.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 13, 2004
    andy wrote:

12563479-S.jpg

Looks like a Hopper print! Cool clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Great shots, Sid and Andy!

Tripod? (a three legged stand as for a camera: looked it up)
    gonna try it sometime.:D

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, a level would fefinitely help. I think using a waterline as a horizon can be a dangerous guide, as it's not necessarily a straight line. In this case, it's receding from the left side to the right side, as the harbor/bay opens up. I adjusted it to make the lightpost vertical, and I see that also made the background building vertical, so I let it be. ne_nau.gif

Astigmatism, eh? umph.gif Does this look straight?

12662802-M.jpg

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifFLIPA.gif
    :lol
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    love the shot Sid.. to me it leans everso slightly to the left... I'm paranoid now as well.. Andys' fault..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    love the shot Sid.. to me it leans everso slightly to the left... I'm paranoid now as well.. Andys' fault..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks Lynn. Do you see the background building or the lightpost leaning to the left? Or just the trash bin and the handrails?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    trashcan and handrails, but I've now lost any credibility that I may have had:D

Either way it's a great shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Lynn. Do you see the background building or the lightpost leaning to the left? Or just the trash bin and the handrails?
    the background I think.. I think I would try rotating to the right about 2 degrees.. I dunno.. ne_nau.gif I tried rotating it about 2 or 3.. to me now it looks straight what do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    thumb.gif Thanks Lynn and Gubbs.
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2004
    waxy, you really have an eye for the night shots thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Awesome shot waxy. I think your shot was level, w/out enlarging it, gotta remember your on wood floating on water they tend to warp and such. I've been doing the straightning thing like crazy too. My wife is starting to think I'm Crazy.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Sid,
    I love the lighting, but it's the composition that does it for me clap.gif It's an awesome shot. I bet it would make a fine print!!
    Cheers
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Maybe just a distortion thing?
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    i like it-the light from the street lamp gives it a very theatrical feel- i can almost imagine humphrey bogart or someone similar, standing there smoking a cigarette.

re levelling-I use a little round spirit level that I put on my tripod -I first level the legs and head and then put camera on head and level the camera-not always though!

one of my camera suggestions is an inbuilt spirit level,similar to an aircraft instrument,that displays,in graphic form, pitch and yaw etc in the viewfinder /screen.it would make life so much easier.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    gtc wrote:
    i like it-the light from the street lamp gives it a very theatrical feel- i can almost imagine humphrey bogart or someone similar, standing there smoking a cigarette.

re levelling-I use a little round spirit level that I put on my tripod -I first level the legs and head and then put camera on head and level the camera-not always though!

one of my camera suggestions is an inbuilt spirit level,similar to an aircraft instrument,that displays,in graphic form, pitch and yaw etc in the viewfinder /screen.it would make life so much easier.

I like your suggestion! nod.gif

On the tripod I have a small level that fits into the flash slot, works well. But unfortunately this was handheld and I even if I'd slotted it in, my eye was in the viewfinder.

bikehiker, my defense rests on the wood warping theory! naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    wax
    that is a great shot ,upside down nooooo but right side up yeaaaaa it's more art than photo .I like it it more gropped on top great shot .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2004
    Thanks man, I thought about cropping, may yet do that.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks man, I thought about cropping, may yet do that.
    Don't do it eek7.gif

My takeaway for this image is the light and it's almost offer of safe haven
    amidst the darkness. I think you might lose it if you crop.

Just my $.02.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?