IR conversions

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited September 25, 2006 in Cameras
I am considering getting my Nikon D100 converted to an IR body. I have two bodies to choose from. One of them works perfectly, and the other seems to be having a problem with the pop up flash.

My question is, is there any use for the pop up flash on an IR converted body?

If there is not, I can send the one with the flash problem without getting it fixed. Why waste 300 bucks (the local repair shops min bench charge) to fix a part that I will never use.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    GREAPER wrote:

My question is, is there any use for the pop up flash on an IR converted body?
    No.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    Hey Brian,

I'm considering converting my D100 to IR also. Let me know how your conversion goes.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Thx Andy, I thought not.

Harry

I will let you know how it goes. It will be a few weeks before I decide as I have to buy a replacement first. I am still debating the safe purchase of a D200 or jumping in the deep water with a D2Xs.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    Hey GREAPER, I just had my F717 converted and I do use flash. The conversion on mine drops me about 2 stops so I use an external flash with it. For my kind of photography, an IR filtered flash with IR conversion is just perfect. The on-board flash isn't powerful enough to make a significant impact on the photos so in my opinion, you wouldn't miss it.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    The only reason for me to see anyone using flash is maybe doing IR photography at night indoors or something, but I think most of the time, IR converted cameras would be used outdoors doing landscapes and doing street scenes or any scene for that matter where you need a quick shutter speed to make the leaves on trees freeze rather than blurring them out due to high shutter speeds.

But flash? I've never tried it, lol, I suppose it will work if you really want it to.