edited October 14, 2006 in People
and everybody left :scratch :rolleyes
97588586-O.jpg

Comments

• ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    totally love the kid! funny pic.rolleyes1.gif
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    ellepixels wrote:
    totally love the kid! funny pic.rolleyes1.gif

very kind thank you :D
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    That's a wonderful egret flight shot. I like the detail in the feathers and wing position. That water looks a little "blue"...but the reeds add a nice touch to round out the composition. It's a shame that bird passed wind. Hope it didn't melt that lens of yours. eek7.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    Where are the feathers? headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Hahah lovely photo cute kid
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    That's a wonderful egret flight shot. I like the detail in the feathers and wing position. That water looks a little "blue"...but the reeds add a nice touch to round out the composition. It's a shame that bird passed wind. Hope it didn't melt that lens of yours. eek7.gif:D

Hey Mike send me some of what your smokin !!! :wow rolleyes1.gif :ivar

and thanks for steppin over to the 2 legged wildlife section :lol4
    Harryb wrote:
    Where are the feathers? headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Molting season ??? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Well, since you're beggin' for input...mwink.gif

The photo doesn't do anything for me on it's own. Photos that need a written subtitle to sell it don't usually work out well. The cloning job in the upper right is poorly done. And the crop ratio/composition seems like it was chosen to conceal rather than highlight. I know it probably was not meant for art, but still, I do think the reason behind the lack of comments is that the image just doesn't move people.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited October 1, 2006
    Somebody's speedo must have a sandbur in it.

52803651.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited October 1, 2006
    Well, since you're beggin' for input...mwink.gif

Is this the whipping post? I don't recall ever beggin for a damm thing, but thanks for your time.
    The photo doesn't do anything for me on it's own. Photos that need a written subtitle to sell it don't usually work out well. The cloning job in the upper right is poorly done. And the crop ratio/composition seems like it was chosen to conceal rather than highlight. I know it probably was not meant for art, but still, I do think the reason behind the lack of comments is that the image just doesn't move people.

From the 1st word to the last your assessment is just completely of the mark. I'm sorry to report that I did not think of you during or after the posting of this sorry shot, perhaps I should of. Nor did the thought of "Selling" ever come to mind.

On the other hand your comment is not surprising having read most if not all of your replies to others here.

Let me just bring an end to this by again thanking you for your time and the giving of your vast pool of knowledge.
    edited October 1, 2006
    Gotta love it when a moderator acts so helpful. Such constructive criticism must encourage others to post their work here. I'm sure it was for the good of the community. thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    The cloning job in the upper right is poorly done.

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited October 1, 2006
    Whoa Nelly here. Anytime someone puts a shot up on any forum they are seeking responses from others. If you only want a pat on the back or the standard "good photo" please say so when you post the shot.

Shay's response was a critque of the shot and not a personal attack. If you disagree with the critique, that's allowed you know, just respond with what you disagree with. There is no cause to respond with personal attacks.

I've known Shay for a good long time and I have always valued his feedback. He has helped me improve on more than one occasion. If we all just patted ourselves on the back we wouldn't grow as photographers.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited October 1, 2006
    Criticism is fine....there are just less negative ways to get to the heart of the issues with the shot. Sure sounded like a bit of a negative attack to a couple people here.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited October 1, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited October 1, 2006
    Criticism is fine....there are just less negative ways to get to the heart of the issues with the shot. Sure sounded like a bit of a negative attack to a couple people here.

Everybody has their own style. Shay is just straight forward with his critques. If one gets over the upset of being told whats wrong with their shot and read what he has said they will find a lot of value in his critque.

It fine to say "nice shot" and all that because we all need some recognition and encouragement. However there's more value in Shay's comments than in any post in this thread.
    Harry
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    there's more value in Shay's comments than in any post in this thread.

Well said. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 1, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    Is this the whipping post? I don't recall ever beggin for a damm thing, but thanks for your time.

From the 1st word to the last your assessment is just completely of the mark. I'm sorry to report that I did not think of you during or after the posting of this sorry shot, perhaps I should of. Nor did the thought of "Selling" ever come to mind.

On the other hand your comment is not surprising having read most if not all of your replies to others here.

Let me just bring an end to this by again thanking you for your time and the giving of your vast pool of knowledge.
    You're most welcome :-)
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited October 1, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Whoa Nelly here. Anytime someone puts a shot up on any forum they are seeking responses from others. If you only want a pat on the back or the standard "good photo" please say so when you post the shot.

Shay's response was a critque of the shot and not a personal attack. If you disagree with the critique, that's allowed you know, just respond with what you disagree with. There is no cause to respond with personal attacks.

I've known Shay for a good long time and I have always valued his feedback. He has helped me improve on more than one occasion. If we all just patted ourselves on the back we wouldn't grow as photographers.

Harry I truely love you like a brother and everyone here knows how much I value your input. In the 2+ years I've been here you should have a good handle on me as well.

Shay's critque was right on, yes but again he missed the mark with it's purpose. Yet you seem to agree with him now but responded accordingly to my efforts to bring my usual humor here. What's up with that?
    Playing middle of the road??

Truth be known I had no problem with Shay's critique, except I didn't ask for one. Again we have section for that, right? Your suggestion that anytime we post we seek responses is not entirely correct. I can only speak for myself and I only want to give of myself, share my humor and maybe open a door where perhaps someone else will find a comfy place. Shay's critique makes me want to shut that door.

I'm most hurt by his very 1st line "Your beggin for It". Say What!!
    I have never begged for jack (well except that girl in 1968 iloveyou.gif )

Shay and You may have a long and great friendship, but as I eluded to in my original reply his bedside manner in his replies are shall we say dry!

I'm am also bemussed by Shay's assumption that I didn't realize the technical flaws in this image from the get go. Should I not have posted it?
    Should I only post exquiste examples of our art? If that's the case I guess I will not be posting much.
    edited October 1, 2006
    Be careful what you ask for!
    bfjr wrote:
    I'm most hurt by his very 1st line "Your beggin for It". Say What!!
    I have never begged for jack (well except that girl in 1968 iloveyou.gif )
    So you didn't post this then?
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43797

That's how I found this thread. But really, come on, you took my critique way over the top man. When I critique, it's done without much pampering, but certainly no venom or hate. Any percieved is simply imagined.

So, don't let me stop you from doing your thing, but also know, if you ask for comments, you just may get them mwink.gif
    edited October 1, 2006
    So you didn't post this then?
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43797

That's how I found this thread. But really, come on, you took my critique way over the top man. When I critique, it's done without much pampering, but certainly no venom or hate. Any percieved is simply imagined.

So, don't let me stop you from doing your thing, but also know, if you ask for comments, you just may get them mwink.gif

I knew you'd grab for that. You can't tell the difference between a joke and serious remarks. Give me a break. Seems others before you caught on.

I am not over the top. Your way is the way of someone who is close to another and you don't know me at all.

Again I never once asked anyone to comment on either post, I didn't even provide a link or in any way suggest I needed comments.

Shay it was a joke. Like your way of critquing this is my way of sharing my rather strange humor.
    edited October 1, 2006
    You're most welcome :-)

And this is what I mean

This is just plain rude and few other words I'll let be
    edited October 1, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    I knew you'd grab for that. You can't tell the difference between a joke and serious remarks. Give me a break. Seems others before you caught on.

I am not over the top. Your way is the way of someone who is close to another and you don't know me at all.

Again I never once asked anyone to comment on either post, I didn't even provide a link or in any way suggest I needed comments.

Shay it was a joke. Like your way of critquing this is my way of sharing my rather strange humor.

You're pretty funny :-)
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    As someone who posts here only occasionally, this is the kind of thread that keeps me from being more involved. IMO, Shay's comments were person-neutral and right on target with the shot.

I want a site that is oriented towards good photography first and then expects a community to grow out of those interests. Posting pictures to 'share' means that a site is not so interested in the photo but in the 'sharing', the 'bonding'. Ugh.

If I post a picture, I expect comments/critiques; I get my hugs from my spouse.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Jeez, you wildlife photographers are sensative folk! Any confrontation I have gotten into on DGrin has been with one of you!

rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 1, 2006
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    LittleLew wrote:
    As someone who posts here only occasionally, this is the kind of thread that keeps me from being more involved. IMO, Shay's comments were person-neutral and right on target with the shot.

I want a site that is oriented towards good photography first and then expects a community to grow out of those interests. Posting pictures to 'share' means that a site is not so interested in the photo but in the 'sharing', the 'bonding'. Ugh.

If I post a picture, I expect comments/critiques; I get my hugs from my spouse.

Again, well said. That is what we are striving for here. A place for us all to get better. I hope that you bring that attitude to the forums to make this an even better place, and don't let a couple of spats here and there spoil it for you.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 1, 2006
    [
    Shay's critque was right on, yes but again he missed the mark with it's purpose. Yet you seem to agree with him now but responded accordingly to my efforts to bring my usual humor here. What's up with that?
    Playing middle of the road??

My response to your post was in humor. I wasn't giving a serious critque to
    the shot because I didn't think you were that serious. Shay's response was different from mine.

I didn't indicate any agreement with Shay, I merely said his critques have value and it wasn't inappropriate for him to critique your shot. In fact, I don't agree 100% with Shay's critque but so what? If I had more time and if I felt you were that serious with the shot I would go into more.
    Truth be known I had no problem with Shay's critique, except I didn't ask for one. Again we have section for that, right? Your suggestion that anytime we post we seek responses is not entirely correct. I can only speak for myself and I only want to give of myself, share my humor and maybe open a door where perhaps someone else will find a comfy place. Shay's critique makes me want to shut that door.

The Whipping Post is not the only place for critque here. I have on many occasions critqued shots in Wildlife and Nature when I felt it was helpful. Any time you make a post here you are seeking responses from others. There is always the possibility that you may not be happy with a response.

I'm am also bemussed by Shay's assumption that I didn't realize the technical flaws in this image from the get go. Should I not have posted it?
    Should I only post exquiste examples of our art? If that's the case I guess I will not be posting much.
    [/quote]

Shay had no way of knowing what you were or were not aware of. He just critiqued the shot in his usual direct manner.
    Harry
    edited October 1, 2006
    QUOTE]
    Owen wrote:
    Shoot, your wildlife photographers are sensative folk! Any confrontation I have gotten into on DGrin has been with one of you!

rolleyes1.gif

:bigbs
    Harry