Olympus E future

marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
edited October 3, 2006 in Cameras
What happens when you haven't been able to release a new pro model in your camera line in over three years? People start questioning if you're staying in the DSLR market, and especially if you'll be able to cater for professionals, since all you've done so far is releasing (albeit innovative) consumer models.

To end this all, Olympus now has released a mission statement, expressing a commitment to the E-system.
The Olympus E-System is a “designed-for-digital” SLR camera system that has grown considerably since the original Olympus E-1 camera body was launched in 2003. Today, the system includes 5 camera bodies, 17 ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses, and a wide range of accessories. In addition to this growth in the E-System line-up, we have lead the way with innovations such as a Dust-Reduction System, full-time Live View, and the introduction of the world’s lightest, most compact, digital SLR camera body. We think of this as Chapter One in the history of the Olympus E-System, and we hope it has helped more people to enjoy photography and be satisfied with the quality of the images they obtain.

Chapter Two will begin next year, we will continue to develop revolutionary features that extend the frontiers of digital SLR photography, and to strengthen the E-System body, lens, and accessory lineup. A successor to our current E-1 flagship will also be introduced next year. Work on this new camera, exhibited at Photokina 2006 as a concept model, is ongoing. Our future product plans include everything from a flagship model aimed at working professionals, to entry-level models for users who are new to SLR photography. We will continue to develop Olympus E-System bodies, lenses, and accessories for a wide range of genres, so that even more people are able to take photographs that could never be taken before.

Digital SLR systems play a key role in our business plans. We are currently strengthening our development resources in this area, and are working to bring even more products to market. We assure you there will be successors to the E-1 constantly, and the Olympus E-System and the Four Thirds System will continue to grow.

Source: a statement by Masaharu Okubo.

As stated, at Photokina Olympus currently presents a mock up of the new flagship concept that should follow the E-1 as the professional model. Ian at DPNow has some nice pictures of the mock up as presented at Photokina. You can see it at DPNow.com. No specs, just a concept. Probably to underline that they mean business when they state they're staying in business.

As an E-system user, I'm pretty happy they're expressing their commitment in this way. Due to the specifics of the E-system, I can see why they haven't been as fast as others in releasing new cameras. And although I would like to see Olympus more present than at the moment, with the new E-400 (as small as they get), the E-330 (live view) a commitment to a new pro model, things at Olympus are looking brighter than before. No to mention Panasonic (L1) and Leica (D-system) stepping up to the plate. So in reply to Blurmore: I don't think it's bad news for the 4/3 crowd. Not at all.

In the mean time, I'll keep enjoying using my E-1. :)
enjoy being here while getting there

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 25, 2006
    Unfortunately, nothing is ever true, until it is OFFICIALLY denied.mwink.gif

I hope you are right that Olympus succeeds and remains in the pro camera 4/3s field, but Nikon and Canon are proving very tough competition for them I suspect.

I used the OM system for years, so I have a soft spot for Oly, but I use Canon cameras now...........ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Yes, it must be hard for other manufacturers to persuade the mass of the Pro community by now. But at least the Olympus shooting pros (they do exist) and the people buying into the E-system know they'll have an upgrade path if Olympus sticks to their commitment. And that's good news, even if Olympus doesn't exactly take the lead from C&N. As it is good news that Pentax is bringing out something else than entry level DSLRs, with the K10D.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • jdc_cooljdc_cool Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    New E-1 replacement yeah!!!!!!!!!!
    Guys, clap.gif

Have a look at the new E-1 replacement........

http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?p=1039#post1039
    Jdcool
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    thats an odd shape!
  • jdc_cooljdc_cool Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    thats an odd shape!

The camera looks like it's very comfortable to hold and operate. It also looks much the same size as the E1, and that the slanting front of the pentaprism, and the lack of detail makes it look bigger.
    The height (base to top of flash shoe) appears to be about 150mm. That’s about the same as an E-1.
    The width appears to be about 135mm. That’s about 5mm less than the E-1 at the bulge, and about the same as the main part of the E-1 body.
    Jdcool