tint and white balance

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited September 26, 2006 in Finishing School
this thread / question will help demonstrate my ignorance one more time...

so if i have an image ( a jpeg ) that looks yellowish or greenish from the type of light that was available, on one of the cheaper PP programs that I use I can click on adjust tint and then it asks me to click on something that is suppose to be white in the image... and i get a better looking image.

i guess my question is when making corrections to tint in a jpeg image, is that the same as correcting white balance?
Why am I asking this? To make a long story very short... i have to shoot jpegs in a poor lighting situation. I have to print immediately. Two choices: use AWB with the only option to correct tint on the images and then print immediately or try to Custom Set the WB before I shoot ( which i will probably screw-up and lead to more image problems ) and then print immediately.
So thats why i wanted to know if adjusting tint is kind of like correcting white balance issues.....

troy

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Under- and over- exposing will affect color tones. Some lenses do too.

Why are you so sure you'll screw up a manual white balance? It's not hard to do, as long as the grey/white thing you white balance on is in the same light as your subject.

You should test your camera, see if it does a better job with AWB or manual.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    Under- and over- exposing will affect color tones. Some lenses do too.

Why are you so sure you'll screw up a manual white balance? It's not hard to do, as long as the grey/white thing you white balance on is in the same light as your subject.

You should test your camera, see if it does a better job with AWB or manual.

because after you custom white balance, ive heard that using the histogram is tricky. something to do with over / under exposing issues...
    so further adjustments ( w/ aperture ) have to be made.... just sounded like more to go wrong

troy
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    windoze wrote:
    because after you custom white balance, ive heard that using the histogram is tricky. something to do with over / under exposing issues...
    so further adjustments ( w/ aperture ) have to be made.... just sounded like more to go wrong

troy
    Eh? headscratch.gif

I wonder what you read?

Whatever white balance method you use will have no effect on metering and correct exposure, nor on your histogram.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    WB tweaks on JPEGs is OK
    windoze wrote:
    this thread / question will help demonstrate my ignorance one more time...

so if i have an image ( a jpeg ) that looks yellowish or greenish from the type of light that was available, on one of the cheaper PP programs that I use I can click on adjust tint and then it asks me to click on something that is suppose to be white in the image... and i get a better looking image.

i guess my question is when making corrections to tint in a jpeg image, is that the same as correcting white balance?
    Why am I asking this? To make a long story very short... i have to shoot jpegs in a poor lighting situation. I have to print immediately. Two choices: use AWB with the only option to correct tint on the images and then print immediately or try to Custom Set the WB before I shoot ( which i will probably screw-up and lead to more image problems ) and then print immediately.
    So thats why i wanted to know if adjusting tint is kind of like correcting white balance issues.....

troy

You can correct white balance on JPEGs just fine. It isn't quite as flexible as doing it on RAW images but if you are not miles off with the JPEG, you should be fine. A JPEG image with a white balance that is miles off can be a problem to correct because it can be so far off that some color channels are clipped and the JPEG can't restore the same type of info with a white balance correction that a RAW can.

But, if your white balance is not way off (you get it close with either auto or a custom white balance setting), then it's fine to tweak it in JPEGs. I personally find it easier and faster to tweak it on RAW images, but if you have reasons for shooting JPEGs it should work fine that way too.

Big white balance changes after the fact can change the perceived exposure of your image significantly. You can think of a big white balance change as moving the color channels around. Moving a color channel to the right or left will affect the image brightness and is pushes some pixels to a higher or lower luminosity. But, again, if you you get the white balance close in-camera and then only do tweaks in post processing, you won't be moving the color channel much and you shouldn't have to worry about significant brightness changes.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question