How to do a convincing photo composition!!! HELP please :D

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited September 28, 2006 in Finishing School
What are the most common techniques to do a convincing photo composition, I have been taking photos for a friend for a project we're developing, but due the conceptual level of the artwork, we need to do photo compositions (assemblies, don´t know the textual/literal translation for this word from spanish to english, but it's basically composing something with a lot of individual elements, something like that, I know you understood me).
The problem comes in the editing, I'm using PS, but I don't get to do them look real, I mean, more real than what I have been doing, is there a technique for this, some rules or tricks to make them look more real? I would appreciate any help, I'm posting some examples, thanks for reading, and THANKS a lot :D

P.D. I´m having problems with perspective, and with the sense of depth.

The grip on this one doesn't look real I guess, and there's problem with matching lights.
IMG_5239 II .jpg

Byron M.
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    The left hand (HIS left hand) doesn't have the sense of depth in the water, it's supposed to be emerging from the depths of consciousness.

Recomenzar IV.jpg
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
    edited September 25, 2006
    Problems with perspective I guess.

Muscular_Death_No_2_Pressure_by_Zeoneth.jpg
    edited September 26, 2006
    No feedback yet :cry:cry:cry I'm still going to be waiting for your response... :D

Byron M.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    B:// wrote:
    What are the most common techniques to do a convincing photo composition, I have been taking photos for a friend for a project we're developing, but due the conceptual level of the artwork, we need to do photo compositions (assemblies, don´t know the textual/literal translation for this word from spanish to english, but it's basically composing something with a lot of individual elements, something like that, I know you understood me).
    The problem comes in the editing, I'm using PS, but I don't get to do them look real, I mean, more real than what I have been doing, is there a technique for this, some rules or tricks to make them look more real? I would appreciate any help, I'm posting some examples, thanks for reading, and THANKS a lot :D

P.D. I´m having problems with perspective, and with the sense of depth.

The grip on this one doesn't look real I guess, and there's problem with matching lights.

Byron M.

by compositions are you refering to Montages.....where you take several images and merge them into "1" on same background....like the 3 images of the man above????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Art Scott wrote:
    by compositions are you refering to Montages.....where you take several images and merge them into "1" on same background....like the 3 images of the man above????

YES YES YES, montages, that was the word, sorry, I didn't knew if the translation was correct, but yes, that!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    bump for pro help..
    bump for pro help.....which I cannot give as I have not the proper amount of PS intelligence.....rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    I think you need to draw what you want the final shot to look like. And I think you have to light each part of it so that the light is coming from the proper direction on each element.

If the background is consistent, it shouldn't be too hard to make it look correct. You'll need to work on your selection skills, I assume. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Have a look in the Smugmug tutorials - I think there's one on this technique. I think they call it 'compositing' or 'composite images'.

Fred
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    I just looked again and I think I know the problem with the second shot. It might be hard to explain in writing, but I'll try: First of all, you cut out too much of his head, so it's a funny shape now. The left arm looks wierd because way too much of it is covered with water. The water is coming up to about the middle of the guys stomach. I can also tell that he's holding his left hand up over his head because it looks big. Get in the bath and try this: If the water's coming up to your stomach, and you're holding your hand the way he is, your arm will be completely out of the water, not mostly under it like it is in your picture. Hope that helps,

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com