A plane landed in my Yard !!!

Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited September 30, 2006 in Holy Macro
Pictures and a story:

I had a knock on my door the other day. When I answered, I was told by the visitor that he is a pilot and he had to emergency land his plane in my field. After he assured me that he was OK, we proceeded to the site to check out the situation.

97964233-L.jpg

The pilot told me that he was flying along with a second glider. They had both taken off from a local airport about 20 miles away. After about 4 hours, the weather "flipped" resulting in a loss of thermal updraft. Since he couldn't maintain this altitude, he identified my field as an emergency landing strip. We later found out that the other glider did not experience this pilot's downfall since he was able to make radio contact and the other guy was still in the air.

97367537-L.jpg

For just a plane with no engine, the cockpit was still outfitted with the latest radio and navigation equipment. (No photography equipment noted.)

97367583-L.jpg

I helped him get back to the airport where his truck and trailer were located. When he came back I helped him disassemble this wings and load up the plane on his trailer. All in all, it was an exciting day for me and a VERY lucky day for the pilot.:D

97368163-L.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Great story, post, and outcome. Well done!
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Great story, post, and outcome. Well done!

Thanks Andy,
    It's nice when photo opportunities come knocking at the door.:D
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    Great.
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    WOW! What a story. And a happy ending too.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 26, 2006
    Very cool story. We need more PJ type posts.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Glad to hear about the happy ending!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    the second picture looks like you can pick it up and throw it.

hahaha
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    deja vu
    Wow, when I saw the title of this post, I had a flashback to 1999. The plane in the attached (1mp 2nd generation digital camera) picture had engine trouble, flew low over our house, clipped a tree, then came down on our small residential street before hitting the curb and flipping to a rest against a light pole. The pilot walked away from this one too. My first inclination that anything had happened was the buzz of several television helicopters hovering above our house. The plane was totalled and they cut the wings off to haul it away on a flatbed truck.

Anyway, you've got some cool pictures there, especially the one showing how the plane comes apart and stores neatly in that trailer.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    Thanks everyone for your comments. It only took about 30 minutes to disassemble the plane. We were able to it load up just before a rainstorm hit.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Fred W wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your comments. It only took about 30 minutes to disassemble the plane. We were able to it load up just before a rainstorm hit.
    This is so cool, to see actually. I've landed in someone's backyard before with something like that (actually about a dozen times or so rolleyes1.gif) But I have no pictures from it.

Nowadays, there is usually no photographic equipment anymore. For competitions, sealed GPS loggers are used for determining where you have been etc. Not to long ago, we had to make photos of required turning points to prove we past the points (competitions). They were usually mounted, in the direction of the wing. So make sure the tip of the wing hits the point, click the button, and voila!

Great shots! nice to see it all worked out, and noone got hurt.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    Fred W wrote:
    Pictures and a story:

I had a knock on my door the other day. When I answered, I was told by the visitor that he is a pilot and he had to emergency land his plane in my field. After he assured me that he was OK, we proceeded to the site to check out the situation.

The pilot told me that he was flying along with a second glider. They had both taken off from a local airport about 20 miles away. After about 4 hours, the weather "flipped" resulting in a loss of thermal updraft. Since he couldn't maintain this altitude, he identified my field as an emergency landing strip. We later found out that the other glider did not experience this pilot's downfall since he was able to make radio contact and the other guy was still in the air.

For just a plane with no engine, the cockpit was still outfitted with the latest radio and navigation equipment. (No photography equipment noted.)

I helped him get back to the airport where his truck and trailer were located. When he came back I helped him disassemble this wings and load up the plane on his trailer. All in all, it was an exciting day for me and a VERY lucky day for the pilot.:D

I'm so glad no one was injured Fred, what a great story, captured with images, and a nice one to hand down to your grand kids some day :D
    Very kind of you to help the guy out too.
    Great series of images too....thanks for sharing.... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Great series
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    My turn! (ME ME ME, oh oh oh pick ME!)
    Working at the local airport, I occasionally get to see a 'mishap'.

63949627-M.jpg

He landed on the crosswind grass strip. While taxiing back he didn't notice a sand filled ditch (for buried lighting cables) and because it was so soft, his gear dug in flipping the plane onto its nose.

Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    What a photo opp!
    I'm glad everyone was OK and there was no property damage. I was really amazed to see how the plane fit on a trailer!
    ivar wrote:
    This is so cool, to see actually. I've landed in someone's backyard before with something like that (actually about a dozen times or so rolleyes1.gif) But I have no pictures from it.

Nowadays, there is usually no photographic equipment anymore. For competitions, sealed GPS loggers are used for determining where you have been etc. Not to long ago, we had to make photos of required turning points to prove we past the points (competitions). They were usually mounted, in the direction of the wing. So make sure the tip of the wing hits the point, click the button, and voila!

Great shots! nice to see it all worked out, and noone got hurt.

97367583-L.jpg

Thanks Ivar for your description of how these guys navigate and operate. I just thought it would be cool to have camera equipment on board. I didn't realize that they actually use to take credit for their navigation using photos. The pilot actualy used the touch pad shown in the cockpit for radio contact as well as navigation.......that's technology !!! :D

Also thanks to everyone else for your interest and comments.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Fred W wrote:

Thanks Ivar for your description of how these guys navigate and operate. I just thought it would be cool to have camera equipment on board. I didn't realize that they actually use to take credit for their navigation using photos. The pilot actualy used the touch pad shown in the cockpit for radio contact as well as navigation.......that's technology !!! :D

Also thanks to everyone else for your interest and comments.
    Yeah, the touch screen you see, is actually a standard PDA, for which you can get the most crazy and cool software for flying. From moving maps, navigation and communication radios.... all doable, very cool.

Other than that, there are actually very few instruments in most gliders, since they usually add a lot of weight. In this case, lighter is better. On the photo you can actually see a radio, altimeter, speed indicator, compass, vertical speed and slip indicator.... that's about it usually. Most navigating is done by use of eyes and a chart.

Some people take cameras when gliding, but especially low altitude you are mainly busy with trying to climb :D In some countries (like the Netherlands) it is actually illegal to take photos from planes (except for scheduled air transport)
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    I've flown in sailplanes a couple of times, but this one's no cheapie!
    Steve-o
    edited September 30, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    I've flown in sailplanes a couple of times, but this one's no cheapie!

Hi Steve. You're right about cost. I PS'd the registration #'s off the plane before posting pictures but did an on-line search for information about it. It is a very new model "Schempp-Hirth" glider. The pilot said he had his license for about 5 years and purchased everything new. I couldn't find any information on new plane prices but found a similar (older) plane listed for sale on-line including trailer and accessories with a $75K asking price. I would not be surprised if this guy spent $100K on his equipment. Now I don't feel so bad about spending a few $'s on new camera equipment.rolleyes1.gif
  • JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    Cool story! Oh, and your "back yard" is bigger than my entire neighbourhood!

Jamie
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    Fred W wrote:
    ...found a similar (older) plane listed for sale on-line including trailer and accessories with a $75K asking price. I would not be surprised if this guy spent $100K on his equipment. Now I don't feel so bad about spending a few $'s on new camera equipment.rolleyes1.gif

I felt the same way when I saw the price on several woodies that were for sale at the woodie meet I attended a few weeks ago... $175k. And they will sale for that price. In fact, in talking with a person that restores woodies, the cost of the wood only is usually around $50k. rolleyes1.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug