Options

Dewdrop flower refraction comparison

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited September 30, 2006 in Holy Macro
Two shots both taken around 2:1 magnification (FOV width= 11mm)
#1 F9 1/200th ETTLflash ISO200
#2 F2.8 1/200th Natural light ISO400
Which "style" do you prefer ignoring composition ?
Brian V.

247342407_b761f29111_o.jpg

253181411_94a4ea981a_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    First let me say this is awesome work. Someday I hope to be able to shoot images like this.

I prefer #1, however it is hard to ignore composition. #1 appears sharper and my eye likes it better. Can you try again with the exact same composition?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    I like #1 because the flower reflection is sharp...

But #2 is really fascinating to see so many reflections, although they are blurred...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    #1 is sharper, but also what you expect when you see this type of shot.

#2 is a bit more interesting, in my opinion. And I guess its not a lack of sharpness, but there's more reflection there. Am I right?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Thanks for the comments Bill ,Dee and Erik.
    Erik- you are right- there are a lot more stray reflections in #2 and a different quality to the BG light.

It's odd If I think of them as photographs then I prefer #1 but if I think of them as paintings I prefer #2 ne_nau.gif
    Brian V.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    eek7.gif Wonderful !! just amazing i think 1st
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    oddodd Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    #1 is ACE thumb.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    Brian,
    I prefer the second "style" with the detail of the 1.st shot.
    This one (the 1.st) is almost unbelievable. It looks you have been photoshoping, which I know you do have not.
    They are both very nice.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    :wow Simply amazing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Thanks for the comments Bill ,Dee and Erik.
    Erik- you are right- there are a lot more stray reflections in #2 and a different quality to the BG light.

It's odd If I think of them as photographs then I prefer #1 but if I think of them as paintings I prefer #2 ne_nau.gif
    Brian V.

Therein lies the problem....with this kind of fotographie....we should not think in terms of photograph, but simply as works of ART (paintings, whether oil or acrylic or whatever, or colored pencil)....

When looking at them in this respect... they are both AWESOME....however I can see the flash highligt in the reflection and it distracts from the image to me.....I personally prefer #2....and I would have shot it at iso100 (but that has been a trait of mine from day one....iso 50 or 100...never cared for Koda 25 or ecta 64...simply fuji 50 or 100 and then Konica 50 towards the end).....I prefer #2 due to the surrealisem of the shot..even the almost vertical leaf had dropplets with relections going from almost sharp to faded out......really the only thing that bothers me about #1 is the flash highlight....and how there is a massive loss of defination at that spot due to it......

But that is only my opinon and not really worth much.:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    Two shots both taken around 2:1 magnification (FOV width= 11mm)
    #1 F9 1/200th ETTLflash ISO200
    #2 F2.8 1/200th Natural light ISO400
    Which "style" do you prefer ignoring composition ?
    Brian V.

Hey there Brian, I like the sharpness of the first shot, the second shot seems to take on that dreamy soft look, I like both, but if you ask me to choose one I am going with Image Number ONE :D

Is the first one stacked shot??? ......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    #2 is the best by far. The lighting, colors and subject is perfect and reminds me of floating crystals.
    My eyes keep jumping around taking in the beauty. #1 is bland in comparision...but that's my opinion. Beautiful work. thumb.gif
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Both excellent shots, # 2 is my fav
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    Art Scott wrote:
    Therein lies the problem....with this kind of fotographie....we should not think in terms of photograph, but simply as works of ART (paintings, whether oil or acrylic or whatever, or colored pencil)....

When looking at them in this respect... they are both AWESOME....however I can see the flash highligt in the reflection and it distracts from the image to me.....I personally prefer #2....and I would have shot it at iso100 (but that has been a trait of mine from day one....iso 50 or 100...never cared for Koda 25 or ecta 64...simply fuji 50 or 100 and then Konica 50 towards the end).....I prefer #2 due to the surrealisem of the shot..even the almost vertical leaf had dropplets with relections going from almost sharp to faded out......really the only thing that bothers me about #1 is the flash highlight....and how there is a massive loss of defination at that spot due to it......

But that is only my opinon and not really worth much.:D

Thanks for the detailed comments:) Everyone's opinion counts !

One of the big problems with macrophotography is light- there isn't enough of it when shooting at high magnification so for the second shot I had to raise the ISO and use a large aperture to get any reasonable exposure but I actually liked the effect it gave.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Brian, I like the sharpness of the first shot, the second shot seems to take on that dreamy soft look, I like both, but if you ask me to choose one I am going with Image Number ONE :D

Is the first one stacked shot??? ......... Skippy (Australia)

Thanks Skippy- they are actually both stacked from 3 pics although you may not think it for #2.
    Think I've done too many of #1 type shots and was looking for a different style to try :)

Brian V.
  • Options
    boogie wrote:
    #2 is the best by far. The lighting, colors and subject is perfect and reminds me of floating crystals.
    My eyes keep jumping around taking in the beauty. #1 is bland in comparision...but that's my opinion. Beautiful work. thumb.gif

Thanks for the critique Boogie :)
    Must admit I prefer #2 but as I said above I have to view it as a painting rather than a macrophotograph. Macrophotographs are supposed to be pin sharp headscratch.gif .
    The thing I don't want to do is to start lugging around a lighting studio- the neighbours already think I'm crazy- kneeling on the front lawn early in the morning getting my knees and elbows wet. rolleyes1.gif
    Brian V.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone :)
    Interesting to see the split in views headscratch.gif
    Brian V.
  • Options
    photosnappinphoolphotosnappinphool Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Dewdrop Flower Refraction Comparison
    Bravo for this top quality piece of art!
    Photo number one gets my vote hands down.
    It looks like tiny glass paperweights
    with perfect flowers encased in them --
    being blow from out the side of the plant stem.
    Quite surreal and elegant.
    A creative masterpiece!

B. Char
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    You are the Master, lol, beautiful shots.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2006
    Thanks for the comments and views Ron and B.Char- much appreciated
    Brian V.
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    That top image with such clarity!

I'm a big fan of clarity, now!
    Steve-o
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    That top image with such clarity!

I'm a big fan of clarity, now!
    Thanks Steve :)
    I'm a fan of clarity as well but every now and then I go a bit soft just for a different look- always good to try different things:)
    Brian V.