New Lensbaby 3G

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited September 30, 2006 in Cameras
Has anyone seen this new lensbaby? Looks kind of interesting with the locks and stuff. I've never actually used a lensbaby but they really do look like you can get some cool shots with it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092601lensbabies3g.asp

ps. anyone have any examples of lensbaby shots they've taken?:thumb

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Hmmmmmm... the poor mans T/S lens. Interesting... mwink.gif
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    whoa, that thing looks "kinky"
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    I had a chance to use one of these @ the BHPV display at my last Pshop seminar and I've got to tell you...those things are FUN!!!!

I don't know that it's worth what most people charge now, but when I first heard of them (and they were <$45) I should have picked one up! :):
    Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
    Photog: www.Exifocus.com
    Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 27, 2006
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    Seymore wrote:
    Hmmmmmm... the poor mans T/S lens. Interesting... mwink.gif

Not really. Look at some of the shots these things make--it's more of an artsy type of lens. I've been meaning to pick one up one of these days; not sure about the new version.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    I have the Lensbaby 2 (without the Marquis de Sade collar) ... it is a fun lens. But at $270 for the Lensbaby 3 ... a lot of money for "fun". For a few more Rubles one can get a Real Ruskie T/S from Kiev Camera.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:

Heehee - instead of "L" glass, this would be the "PL" glass (PL . . . unger)wings.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

I saw the new 3g on lensbabies' website. It solves my concerns about using their lenses (needing to hold the lins in the focused position for your shots).

But it sure is funky looking. I can imagine the questions I'd get.

And it seems waay expensive for a lens with limited use capabilities.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 28, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    I have the Lensbaby 2 (without the Marquis de Sade collar) ... it is a fun lens. But at $270 for the Lensbaby 3 ... a lot of money for "fun". For a few more Rubles one can get a Real Ruskie T/S from Kiev Camera.

Gary

True that.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    I have ver 1 LensBaby and Ver 2.0 also.
    I made the very same thing you have pictured from ver 1 for my nightshots.
    Still working out bugs though.
    I try to post photos of mine when I have time.

Thinking of calling it "FredBaby" what do you think :D

Fred
  • gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    Looks kinda fun!
  • rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    I have wanted one of these since ver 1 but I just can't afford one...I'm just a poor college student...

The 3G does make the whole idea of the 'bendable' lens more worth while...I haven't used one but I can imagine prolonged use might make your fingers tired...

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
    rgbivens wrote:
    I have wanted one of these since ver 1 but I just can't afford one...I'm just a poor college student...

The 3G does make the whole idea of the 'bendable' lens more worth while...I haven't used one but I can imagine prolonged use might make your fingers tired...

-Grant

If you have access to PhotoShop and you want an effect that is similar to LensBaby versions 1 and 2 (and controllable), try the "Lens Blur" action:

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm#LensBlur

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Also look here too kinda looks like the LensBaby blur.
    And a thread where we all gave it a try.

Fred
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you have access to PhotoShop and you want an effect that is similar to LensBaby versions 1 and 2 (and controllable), try the "Lens Blur" action:

ziggy53

I've been using this action for about a year. I like it a lot. Lots of adjustability and control. Here's a pretty good example I shot a few months ago and used in my daily photo gallery:

72758511-L-2.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen

• rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:

ziggy53

That action is pretty sweet...It deffinatly takes some tinkering to get exactly what you want but I guess the same is true for the actual lensbabies... I would rather have a LB than use a action...but thats just my $0.02

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    I think it's always better to take 1 minute or less to do it on the camera than spend 1 hour trying to duplicate it in photoshop.

As for the G3, I think I'd rather get a russian tilt shift for about $320 than a pseudo tiltshift lensbaby for $270. Seems way too overpriced. Maybe if it was $200...
    The difference between the LensBaby and the PS action is that with the LensBaby, you get visual confirmation, in the viewfinder, how the effect works in a scene.

With the actions available, you can manipulate to your hearts content, not limited to a single effect. The action doesn't need to be in your bag or on your lens, so you never forget having it with you.

Ideally, you would want both, because the actions don't duplicate the exact effect of the LensBaby lenses.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    Tee Why wrote:
    I think it's always better to take 1 minute or less to do it on the camera than spend 1 hour trying to duplicate it in photoshop.

As for the G3, I think I'd rather get a russian tilt shift for about $320 than a pseudo tiltshift lensbaby for $270. Seems way too overpriced. Maybe if it was $200...

Didn't I point out that's not what a lensbaby is already? It is pretty expensive for what it is though.