Options

The comments on photos

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited September 26, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hi Guys & Gals,

I am new to Photography, about 2 yrs now, and found a love for expressing myself in landscapes. I'm also new to displaying my photos in a online gallery. I've been displaying in smugmug for a few months now. I have enjoyed looking at some spectacular photography & I notice there are several coments that are posted below each of these wonderful photos.

As a person who is wanting to continually improve this wondeful new art, I have been waiting for someone to make some comments/critiques on my photos, but have seen nothing.

How do I expose my photos for comment & critique?
Well I guess one way would be to add my link here, Huh?

http://shawncarden.smugmug.com/

Otherwise, are there any recomendations for exposure?

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Hello.
    One way to show your pictures is to post them under the correct position.
    I mean: if you shoot a portrait you post at
    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
    sports at
    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26
    and so on.
    Go please to http://www.dgrin.com/index.php
    and post one of your pictures thumb.gif
    I post here one of your beautifull pictures: :D
    http://shawncarden.smugmug.com/photos/91672203-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    shawnc wrote:
    Hi Guys & Gals,

I am new to Photography, about 2 yrs now, and found a love for expressing myself in landscapes. I'm also new to displaying my photos in a online gallery. I've been displaying in smugmug for a few months now. I have enjoyed looking at some spectacular photography & I notice there are several coments that are posted below each of these wonderful photos.

As a person who is wanting to continually improve this wondeful new art, I have been waiting for someone to make some comments/critiques on my photos, but have seen nothing.

Hi Shawn, and welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

The best thing you can do, to get a good critique on your photos, is post one or two photos that you want critiqued in a new thread in the appropriote forum here. (give EXIF/shot data maybe?) Also, ask for something specific if you are after it. Giving more than 1 or 2 shots will usually produce very few replies usually, because it gets too 'much', not specific enough. But, another thing you want to do, is participate. You have got to give to get aswell. Browse through threads here, give your opinion.

Have fun, enjoy sharing photography wings.gif
  • Options
    What I said in better words. thumb.gif
  • Options
    I post here one of your beautifull pictures: :D
    We don't post photos that you don't own inline in this forum usually. If you want to post to a photo that you don't own, make it a link please.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    If you really want the brutal truth, post in the Whipping Post, where that is our aim. In the other fora you'll get the truth mixed with "nice shot" because we never really know why you're posting there...to share or to get critique? In the Whipping Post that's the sole purpose of it; for you to get the brutal truth. Give it a shot! (Make sure you read the rules first! :D)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    We don't post photos that you don't own inline in this forum usually. If you want to post to a photo that you don't own, make it a link please.
    Not fair.
    I wrote it was one of his photos.:confused
  • Options
    Not fair.
    I wrote it was one of his photos.:confused
    You can only post it, if you own it Antonio. I'm sure alot of people don't mind posting their photo, but alot of people do mind posting photos (privacy, copyright, etc) So to prevent problems, we only post pictures that we own, or have gotten prior permission for. That's also in our our rules deal.gif
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    You can only post it, if you own it Antonio. I'm sure alot of people don't mind posting their photo, but alot of people do mind posting photos (privacy, copyright, etc) So to prevent problems, we only post pictures that we own, or have gotten prior permission for. That's also in our our rules deal.gif
    The problem is that me - like many others - rarelly read the rules or read the rules at the speed of 2 seconds.
    I accept but I was trying to show I liked his nice photo.
    ONCE
    OK thumb.gif
  • Options
    The problem is that me - like many others - rarelly read the rules or read the rules at the speed of 2 seconds.
    No problem Antonio, now you know thumb.gif
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    No problem Antonio, now you know thumb.gif

thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    shawnc wrote:
    Hi Guys & Gals,

As stated by DavidTo...the Whipping Post here is a great place to start collecting those critiques and coments....

HOWEVER....that wasn't your question....Your question was how to start getting comments and etc on your work in YOUR Galleries as your have seen in other online galleries.

What type of acct do you have with Smugmug? Can you add keywords to your galleries so that the spiders from Google and other search engines can place your site for better searches?

Also I invite comments to my pics but I also ask for them to say which pic they are commenting on as the galleries grow it gets really hard to tell which exact pic they are commenting on and I have been with SM for almost 1 year and I don't have tons of comments either so it just takes time.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    shawnc wrote:
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Otherwise, are there any recommendations for exposure?

If you are looking for comments in your galleries, as opposed to those you get by posting in this forum, you might want to link your galleries to a particular "community". There are numerous communities you might be interested in such as DigitalGrin and Daily Photo. You can find community help on your control page, I believe, and once you join a community you can then customize a gallery to "link" to that community. Each time you post new shots, the gallery is bumped to the front page of the community showing other members you have posted new work. It is usually members of that community that view your work and share in commenting. It took me a long time to realize you could do this!!!
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    In addition to posting your photos on the forum and communities you might also try leaving comments in other people's galleries. I usually go look at the photos of the nice people who leave me comments and often leave a few back. rolleyes1.gif
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.