Natural family photos

claydoughclaydough Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 27, 2006 in People
I have been asked to take some photos of a friend's family. There are 4 of them and I want to do something creative, but trying to be slightly traditional. I just don't want to do a cheesy posed group photo. I am really looking for some inspiration or ideas. I would like to do this in an outdoor setting since I don't have any studio equipment.

I have been a lurker in this forum and have been very impressed with the quality of work presented. I know you guys and gals will have some great ideas...I unfortunately can't come with any of my own. :-)

Thanks!

--Clay

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    If you could describe your setting possiblities to us, we could go from there. It will make a difference if you are in a more rural location, can go to a park, want to be in a setting that makes sense for that family (do they play a particular sport or participate in a particular activity together)?

Lots of potential, and lots of help will come your way, I'm sure.

ann
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    What has worked for me is just about any local park. It works best either right after sunrise or the couple of hours before sunset.

Here are a couple of my favorites (I've posted these elsewhere, getting extra mileage out of them mwink.gif) from a shoot about a month ago. I hope this helps.

91093118-M.jpg

91057550-M.jpg

91057528-M.jpg
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately myself. I'm wanting to get into some portrait photography, but wanting more "relaxed" portraiture. One shot I see occasionally that I like of a large group is where the group is walking towards the photographer. Seems to work especially well on a beach. I don't know how "tricky" it would be to do this shot as your subjects are moving! But it does seem to make people look more relaxed and usually they look like they are enjoying themselves.
  • claydoughclaydough Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2006
    We are in Minneapolis so we have a ton of options. I would rather go to good light than focus purely on the location...but then again, I don't want to take photos in a parking lot.

I think what I will do is ask the person where they see these photos being taken. She is the type of person who will tell me and not be wishy washy. I can then scout out the location a couple of hours before sunset.

I really like the idea of the family walking towards the camera.

--Clay