Options

practicing portraits...

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited December 16, 2004 in People
:huh I can't use this as I did'nt take it at the right time, I did post process only today tho .. I'm practicing.. comments (all kinds) would be most helpful.:1drink

12622689-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Try being in my mind for a day lyn. My head is nearly exploding over this topic !
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Hey Lynn, you have more experience taking portraits than most of us. This one should be right up your alley. :D

That said, there's something about this one that seems lacking. I notice the points of light in her eyes, but that's not it. Something about the composition isn't working. And do you think it needs more shadows? ne_nau.gif I can't say, really, I'm just going on a feeling.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey Lynn, you have more experience taking portraits than most of us. This one should be right up your alley. :D

That said, there's something about this one that seems lacking. I notice the points of light in her eyes, but that's not it. Something about the composition isn't working. And do you think it needs more shadows? ne_nau.gif I can't say, really, I'm just going on a feeling.
    Sid darling... you are right.. it sucks...rolleyes1.gif an ya know what? that fine.. it's all a learning curv..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Hi again Lynn!
    Hey Lynn,

since you're such a helpful person, and a very nice photographer as well, I thought you might like to hear a few words from me on this one. Take them with a bit of salt, because I'm far from being really good when it comes to portraits (although they're my favourite genre in photography).

Anyways, practicing is the way to go, really. And it's extremely commendable that you're doing it AND you could get such a nice shot, even though you were 'only' practicing.

There's very few things, in my opinion, that keeps this shot from being more eye-catching. First of all, I think the lighting on your model's face seems a bit too flat. It would be nice to see a little play of shadows and highlights there. Perhaps you should try some curves to get more contrast on the 3rd-quarter tones. :-)

Regarding the composition, I think I would try shooting from a higher position, with the model looking slightly upwards, which would probably make her chin lines look nicer, defining the shape of her face a little more. I'd also go with a taller crop (but not that sure on that one).

However, I think the shot has an incredibly spontaneous and relaxed look, which is much more difficult to get right (especially *this* right) than the other stuff (technique, I mean).

Hope I could be of *any* help, Lynn!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    It doesn't suck, though. It is a very nice photograph. Unless she complains about the double chin, she should be quite happy. I remember Rosie, of daytime TV gay fame, she said they photographed her from the top of a ladder to make her face look thinner.

Interesting thought. I do have a daughter with that problem and boy are women sensitive on the number of chins they have. I have lower issues, not chins. But Julie won't can't stand a photo in which she even looks like her chin is thick. She is so sensitive, she wouldn't let me take her photo for years, until she discovered that there were no photos of her anywhere, anymore. So she practiced holding her chin out. Photos of Julie:

http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/gallery/138089/1/5048882

She had lost a bit of weight, and had realized that she really needed to be in the family album. So 3 pages of outdoor lunch, here in Charleston, with Julie.
    There is a bad photo of me, I learned my lesson, never let a waiter photograph me from the side, or anyone else, either.

Now, Lynn, what I think your photo lacks is Drama. I went through all the photos in the Canon portrait contest and the Sony portrait contest: the ones Andy suggested. Did it just now. Plain background and drama. (Actually men with beards and old salty faces help, too. Even I don't have one of those. I really got shafted in the men dept, all mine does is express misery. He would do all Andy did, almost, for me, but I would have had to draw a map.)

I would suggest really hamming it up with drama. Smile. (Don't fall from the top of the ladder)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    you guys are great! s'funny how you can post a shot and then come back and look the next day and see all the faults..thiago your comments were very helpful indeed!! Of course the model needs to look up a tad :thwak doh why did'nt I think of that...
    I took these photos some time back so have (hopefully) improved since then (maybe not).. I see exactly what you are saying re light etc. Thanks.
    Ginger dearest.. you are so right re the drama, aint none... I took this the same day.. at least this one looks funny....

12756493-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    I love that!

gclap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love that!

gclap.gif
    thanks ... that was when they "were'nt" ready...:D this was supposedly when they were...

12756763-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    I almost always like them before and/or after. I take bunches of shots, as many as possible. That is one reason I need so many CF cards, and is the main reason Bill looks "weary"............he is.

g (I like it that the rebel has that burst of shots, I also would like more. I love RAW, but I hate to wait for it to write, I miss a lot then.)

If they were paying me for what they wanted, I would still take the after shot, for me if nothing else. Bill has learned set poses, male and female. I will not take him in either of those poses. It actually is a head tilt thing. Probably useful to know.

I have a cold, but I still feel guilty I am not up at the studio with Bill practicing. No sittings scheduled, they are bored silly. It is a long drive, for me, in my car which has a noise. Next week Bill is off, we could go every day if we wanted, I won't. But I do want to go at least once. Get it out of my system. (Lights and backdrops)

I tried to bring a photo over from smugmug, small, and it was a red x, think I will turn my pc off for awhile.

I hope this cold does not get worse.

g
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Cute shots, Lynn. If I get a chance to try this challenge, I hope they come out half as good. The only thing that jumped out at me was the catchlights in the eyes. Did you use on-camera flash?

Most of the reading I have done says there should only be one catchlight and it shouldn't be dead-center, meaning you can't use on-camera flash. They recommend 10 o-clock or 2 o-clock for the "proper" positioning.

Is this just personal preference or is it generally accepted guidelines? ne_nau.gif I don't have any other flash, so should I stick with natural light only? Or doesn't it matter?
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    I *really* like the children shots. Good choice on B&W here. I've been trying to come up with ideas for this challenge, but so far its a bust. I've never done any portrait photography before, so this is a real change for me. So far I'm enjoying it, but it is so much harder than it looks.

I have a new found respect for you portrait photographers out there!

Thanks for posting. I need some inspiration for this challenge.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Cute shots, Lynn. If I get a chance to try this challenge, I hope they come out half as good. The only thing that jumped out at me was the catchlights in the eyes. Did you use on-camera flash?

Most of the reading I have done says there should only be one catchlight and it shouldn't be dead-center, meaning you can't use on-camera flash. They recommend 10 o-clock or 2 o-clock for the "proper" positioning.

Is this just personal preference or is it generally accepted guidelines? ne_nau.gif I don't have any other flash, so should I stick with natural light only? Or doesn't it matter?
    I have no clue re the guidelines.. I just flounder away and hope.. I use a Canon Speedlite 420ex.. on the camera..
    thanks for the comments.. much appreciated.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2004
    Hi Lynn
    I love the kid shots. I think you have to tell funny stories and jokes to make kids laugh naturally. I like the last one the best. The more relaxed and natural the better.
    Would appreciate it if you could stop in and check out my newest shot. I found a human! Thanks.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog