canon xti photoshop cr2 plugin problems

allezgrandallezgrand Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 28, 2006 in Finishing School
I've searched and can't seem to find anyone else with this problem:

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and Photoshop CS2. I took several shots on RAW and tried to open them in Photoshop. Naturally, it didn't work since I didn't have the plugin. I read about the plugin (camera raw 3.5), installed it exactly as the directions on the adobe website instructed: removed the old "Camera Raw" file and replaced it with the new one and I still get the same error when trying to open a CR2 file: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

Can anyone help with this? Is the XTi CR2 file format different from the XT file format and Photoshop simply doesn't have the right plugin for this yet or what?

Thanks.

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    You'll have to wait for 3.6
    allezgrand wrote:
    I've searched and can't seem to find anyone else with this problem:

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and Photoshop CS2. I took several shots on RAW and tried to open them in Photoshop. Naturally, it didn't work since I didn't have the plugin. I read about the plugin (camera raw 3.5), installed it exactly as the directions on the adobe website instructed: removed the old "Camera Raw" file and replaced it with the new one and I still get the same error when trying to open a CR2 file: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

Can anyone help with this? Is the XTi CR2 file format different from the XT file format and Photoshop simply doesn't have the right plugin for this yet or what?

Thanks.
    I believe I read somewhere (although I can't seem to find it again) that version 3.5 does not yet support the XTi. However, Thomas Knoll, the Camera Raw author, has released a statement saying that ACR 3.6 will be released on a shorter-than-ussual cycle to provide support for the XTi, Nikon D80, and other new models released around Photokina as soon as possible.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    I believe I read somewhere (although I can't seem to find it again) that version 3.5 does not yet support the XTi. However, Thomas Knoll, the Camera Raw author, has released a statement saying that ACR 3.6 will be released on a shorter-than-ussual cycle to provide support for the XTi, Nikon D200, and other new models released around Photokina as soon as possible.

Here's the specifc page on Adobe's site that says: "Note: Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 development has been accelerated to accommodate recently announced cameras such as the Nikon D80 and the Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel Xti. The update will be provided this fall."
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    It's a brand-new camera. Few converters will be supporting it yet (ok, Bibble just released their new version that supports the latest crop...take that Adobe!).