smugmug uploader 2.0 dead

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited November 30, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've been trying to use the 2.0 version of the smugmug uploader (current as far as I know) throughout the night to upload some images, but it keeps failing immediately with a connection failure:
Error contacting smugmug!
java.util.Vector
[RIGHT](OK)[/RIGHT]

I assume the Vector was suppose to be something usefull, like a stack... of course if it was open source then I could probably take a swing at getting some more usefull information out of it... but we've had that thread already.

ETA: I shoulda pointed out I was talking about the MAC uploader... dunno what the windows one is called, but that's not what I was using. Also, the universal drag and drop was at the same time working fine. (Odd, since it's also java, and I woulda guessed shared code.)
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    bump
    still broken today, anyone else? :cry
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    cabbey wrote:
    still broken today, anyone else? :cry

So this is the mac stand-alone uploader? I haven't heard of anyone else having problems headscratch.gif . You might try re-installing?

HOLD THE PHONE. I decided to run upstairs and get the latest version on my G4... I'm seeing the same error. I'll report it. Sorry for the trouble!

-Anne
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    Hi Cabbey,

Are you using the 2.0 version that is linked in our help section, or are you using the version that I posted in the API forum that was being tested? If it is the beta one, then we made some changes that would make that one not work... which would definitely explain it.

-Ben
    Smug since 2003
    Anne, yes it is, and thanks!! (cabbey notes another mac user in the smugmug team... awesome.)

Ben, So far as I know it's the version in the help section on uploading. Let me download it again and see.

Yup, the version I have is exactly the same as the one here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/macs
    The about dialog for it reports as: "Version 2.0 (2.0)" and it behaves exactly the same. I just ran it out of the dmg, which claims a version 2.0.0 in the filename and get the same failure.
    madhatter:/Volumes/SmugMug/smugmug uploader.app/Contents/MacOS cabbey$ ./smugmug\ uploader   
    smugmug.styles.getTemplates start
    smugmug.styles.getTemplates throws  exception:: java.util.Vector

In case this might help, best I can come up with without debuggable sources. But I see that's still on the "Todo:" section of Contents/Resources/TODO... mwink.gif
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    I'm getting the same error. When I click OK, though, all seems to work fine. Strange.

Error contacting smugmug!
    java.util.Vector
    [RIGHT](OK)[/RIGHT]

edited October 2, 2006
    Uhm, yeah, not "dead" so much as "dazed"....
    afarber wrote:
    I'm getting the same error. When I click OK, though, all seems to work fine. Strange.

Ya know, now that you mention it... uhm, yeah, it does work... :blush I saw that it had come up with "None" for the album, same as it does when it's a failure 'cause my network can't reach the smugmug servers, and assumed it was fatal.
  • Tip Toe ShooterTip Toe Shooter Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Hi ...

I'm facing the same problem here as well.

When the program starts up, the common error message was displayed,

"Error contacting smugmug!
    java.util.Vector"

I clicked ok and tried to upload a picture to my gallery. And this error pops up and stopped the transmission,

"Socket: send failed : broken pipe"

Uploading hundreds of images through the standard uploader is a nightmare :cry

I'm using version 2.0 (2.0) of the mac uploader.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Uploading hundreds of images through the standard uploader is a nightmare :cry

Hi Tip Toe, have you tried the Univ D&D with Safari? It works a treat. Let us know.
  • Tip Toe ShooterTip Toe Shooter Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Tip Toe, have you tried the Univ D&D with Safari? It works a treat. Let us know.

Yup, gave that a shot as well. Same message. headscratch.gif
  • geirsangeirsan Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Problem is, many of us don't have an Intel Mac, and really need an uploader. For me as a Mac user, this kind of let's me down as a smugmug user, as uploading is an important part of the site.....
    You should do what you can to get this in order.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    geirsan wrote:
    Problem is, many of us don't have an Intel Mac, and really need an uploader. For me as a Mac user, this kind of let's me down as a smugmug user, as uploading is an important part of the site.....
    Hi Geirsan, we know, and we are. It's Ben's - our product manager - it's is highest priority. I'll ask him to post here and give an update.

Have you used the Univ D&D? ear.gif
  • gussiegussie Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    geirsan wrote:

What geirsan said. I get the same error message. I'm using OSX 10.4.8.
    But it allows me to upload my images - unfortunately it places them in unintended galleries. Then I have to find out where they went.... ack!:bash

Is there an older uploader I can revert to?
    "The man who cannot imagine a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot."
    Andre Breton
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    geirsan wrote:

I thought this one (Mac v2) was deemed dead quite a long time ago, or was I thinking of a different version?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..