are zooms supposed to "fall out" of themselves?

shuttershrinkshuttershrink Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 30, 2006 in Cameras
I know, weird question...
I just got a used Canon 75-300 IS USM on ebay (great deal I thought to get some quality without breaking the bank - Iknow, many of you will disagree), but immediately when I carry it over my shoulder the zoom sort of falls out of the rest of the lens. You know, if it's hanging down, the inside portion creeps out until it's fully extended even when I don't want it to...

I've seen somewhere newer features that lock newer zooms, so maybe it's just something I am supposed to live with since it's an older model?

1. Is this normal for a used lens or did I get a dud? If it's a dud and I bought if from an individual person on ebay, can I (should I) try to return it?

2. Is there anything I can do to prevent the creep?

Tks for any advice or comforting you can provide. :)

Comments

• ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Some zooms do suffer from zoom-creep. I would look up some reviews of your lens and see what they say. If no one mentions it as a problem, then you've recieved a lens that's suffereng from significant wear, and may want to ask for a refund or something, depending on how cheap you got it and how it was described. But no, it's not necessarily 'broken.'
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    100-400 L
    My Canon 100-400L suffers badly from this phenomenon, especially when the tension ring is set loosly.
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    When I used to be a skydiver photo/videographer, I use to protect my equipment with a kind of duct tape that we used to call "black tape" because it would not leave gooey (well, not a lot) in my gear.

When I had my slr on my helmet, I would set it to a given zoom and manual focus and lock it with the same black tape. I guess you could use the same for your improvised lock feature.

If it is normal or not, I don't know, but I would guess so, otherwise the newer lenses would not have the lock mechanism, right?

Cheers
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    padu wrote:
    When I used to be a skydiver photo/videographer, I use to protect my equipment with a kind of duct tape that we used to call "black tape" because it would not leave gooey (well, not a lot) in my gear.

When I had my slr on my helmet, I would set it to a given zoom and manual focus and lock it with the same black tape. I guess you could use the same for your improvised lock feature.

This tape is GAFFERS TAPE....it is a cloth tape (like the best duct tape) and is made so it doesn't leave glue behind or all the electrical cable used in concerts and theatrical or even movie set would be a real chore to keep clean........it would be a good choice to use for a locking device for the lens if you cannot get a refund.....jmho....

If it is normal or not, I don't know, but I would guess so, otherwise the newer lenses would not have the lock mechanism, right?

A very large zoom can creep a little.....my tank of a 2.8 70-200 sigma will creep a little when I carry it facing down for a couple of hours of hiking, but if I am on a stand (for shooting wildlife, usually some sort of tree stand) and it is just hanging around my neck....It does not creep....personally I would ask politely for a refund from the sellar....if he gets nasty then file your case with Paypal if that is how you purchased it.....but do not wait very long or sellar will refuse and you could lose out just from not notifying the sellar straight away......:cry

Cheers

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    I have heard of people taking a wide/thick rubber band that fits snugly over the zoom ring to 'sinch' it down a bit thus resolving the lens creep... So you might give that a try...

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    It's zoom creep and it's normal for some lenses have it.
    just don't hold the camera facing down if it bothers you.