Options

So its 22 million degrees & humidity is at 355 %

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 16, 2004 in Holy Macro
I decided to go for a swim in the bay...just have to watch out for the big noah's archs.

I then get this fantastic idea...put the camera in a plastic bag & take it in with me. I take off & buy 4 oven bags...the ones you cook chooks in, get back & pop the little olympus in & under we go.

What a shocker...50 shots with & without flash & this is the best one ive got !! Tried several settings but auto focus was hopeless.

12639307-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    I will add that their are 4 fishermen down at the boat ramp where i swam back in whom thought today was going to be uneventfull...i still had my jeans & boots on.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    heheh nice try :D

would something here help you?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    What if you put it on manual focus and set it to infinity?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    I dont know waxoliuos...the current was getting too strong. We have had massive rain here over the last week so the water was pretty dirty.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    Noah's arches are sharks? Is that Melbourne rhyming slang?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Noah's arches are sharks? Is that Melbourne rhyming slang?
    Ah..your getting it at last mate.. but nothing to do with melbourne though.

There are great whites/tigers etc in there so i dont stay in long. Too much splashing brings them in.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    You look like a big penguin, eh? naughty.gif

I think your sig line is great, btw, made me laugh out loud.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You look like a big penguin, eh? naughty.gif
    Nup...big fat green turtle. Their favorite food.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2004
    good link Andy, but at 22 million degrees, gus might need a little more than a plastic underwater housing
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    I'd be really careful to get all the air out of the bags though, It will out compress and expand, as you change depth (even after a couple of meters) and could suck in water.

If you've had a load a rain, it could just be that the water's too dirty with silt, might be worth trying again. A couple of years ago I did my "PADI" open water dives in a resevoir near heathrow (who needs the barrier reef). It was December and we'd had a load of rain, we could hardly see our hands for the silt. Got even worse by the time us idiots had hit the bottom a few times rolleyes1.gif
    That's me in the middle, Bloody hell it was cold.

526821-L-1.jpg
    Sid, I'm not sure about the horizon on this one
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    I will add that their are 4 fishermen down at the boat ramp where i swam back in whom thought today was going to be uneventfull...i still had my jeans & boots on.
    Two things.....when I read about your jeans and coyboy boots I busted a gut. Why you ask.....it reminded me of something that happened 30 years ago in Wyoming. I am just getting over the flue so I'll try to type this up and post it tomorrow. :cry

Second, after reading posts from you and Down Under Kate, where can I buy an Astrailian / English dictionaty? :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    Story of my life sam...i get these fantastic ideas that no-one else agrees with & they almost always end in something stupid happening to me. I actually slipped on a big rock with my boots & jeans on & went in so i thought i might as well finish what i started. I stupidly had my shirt off for an hour in the sun & i am suffering with some really bad sunburn atm....anyone would think i knew better :bash
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I'd be really careful to get all the air out of the bags though, It will out compress and expand, as you change depth (even after a couple of meters) and could suck in water.

If you've had a load a rain, it could just be that the water's too dirty with silt, might be worth trying again. A couple of years ago I did my "PADI" open water dives in a resevoir near heathrow (who needs the barrier reef). It was December and we'd had a load of rain, we could hardly see our hands for the silt. Got even worse by the time us idiots had hit the bottom a few times rolleyes1.gif
    That's me in the middle, Bloody hell it was cold.

Looks tropical gubbs thumb.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    where can I buy an Astrailian / English dictionaty? :D

Sam
    Sam perhaps we should have a thread of humungusisms in the hall of wisdom.

eg
    Black as a bats arse: It was dark
    Pom: Pleasant person from the UK
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2004
    This is in response to Humungus and swimming in his jeans and boots.

30 years ago…. my God has been that long…but I digress. Two years out of the Army I traveled to Rock Springs Wyoming to visit with my old Army buddy, who still owes me $1500. (That was spend able money back then) but that’s another story).

We decide to go trout fishing on the Green River. A fantastic crystal clear cold stream, on a wonderful day. We caught some fine trout. Enough to feed my buddy, myself, his wife, my, at the time, wife, her sister, and his useless drugged up brother in law. (Yes another story with in a story).

Anyways….. there we are walking back to the truck, by a large deep clear pool under a awesome rock cliff. We spot from a distance a family, the guy is standing tall with his cowboy hat and shinny intricate boots and fishing. The kids are running about, his wife is sitting on the shore. So picturesque, from a distance. We get closer and can’t help but notice (I can’t type that) OK the kids are how shall we say…. dirty little loud screaming creatures. We can now hear dad, mom and the kids screaming at each other about who knows what.

Then it struck like lightning, without warning, a fish grabbed the bait on the rod cowboy had propped op on shore. Zing….. off goes the rod headed for the deep…….dad being only a little slow puts down the rod in his hand and launches himself for the rod……….it’s a race!……fish versus cowboy. They make um tough in Wyoming, (though not always smart, but tough and determined).

The rod disappears into the pool, cowboy doesn’t miss a step,... he runs straight into the water. When he gets about waist deep he dives under in search of his rod. There we are, all standing there, the ripples are gone, the pool is dead quite, his hat is floating down the river. It was surreal! There is absolutely no sign of the guy. My friend and I put out fishing gear down and start to strip and get our boots off. We had to get this moron. Just as I got the second boot off up he pops…. spitting water holding the rod high with great pride. Then little wife starts yelling for real. Apparently she was only practicing before. You hat is floating away you *&^*&^, and your wearing your new $150 boots you *(^(&*(^. The (*&^&*(^(&fishing rod only costs $6, you *&(%^(&*^*&^. Now cowboy has retrieved his hat and charging back to shore, suffering even more verbal abuse. All we could hear at that point was, OH my boots, my brand new boots. (Insert accent and great agony.)

Oh and the fish………..a sucker! Laughing.gif (That’s a worthless bottom feeding fish. Not good for eating or sport

I haven’t stopped laughing about that yet.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    Guys the trick to reading sams post is to highlight it as if you are going to copy it (or maybe its just me that can only see black writing)

Sam i actually pictured the whole scene whilst reading that.

Where was your bloody camera ? lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Guys the trick to reading sams post is to highlight it as if you are going to copy it (or maybe its just me that can only see black writing)

Sam i actually pictured the whole scene whilst reading that.

Where was your bloody camera ? lol3.giflol3.gif
    Sorry about the font color. Although dark I can see it pretty well on my monitor. I'll fix that next time.

As for a camera, I would have been lucky to have a $10.00 box camera back then.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    Sam wrote:

Second, after reading posts from you and Down Under Kate, where can I buy an Astrailian / English dictionaty? :D

Sam
    Sam..squint your eyes & talk through your nose as you pronounce it, you will pick it up...waddaya recon kate ?