Am I going crazy??

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited October 1, 2006 in Cameras
Ok, I was just looking through the photokina news stuff at dpreview and I stumbled upon a picture of a Sigma 18-200 OS. I'm I going crazy or have I not heard any news about this? I figured it would be big news, almost a direct contender to the Nikon 18-200 VR (except for a full stop on the long side).

Has anyone heard about how this lens will measure up to the Nikon counterpart?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Sigma/IMG_0429.jpg

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    You're not crazy. Here's Sigma's Announcement.

Lately, it seems that Dpreview hasn't been reporting in the News section every one of Sigma's new lenses. But, right now it may just be that Phil is swamped with other Photokina stuff on top of the many new SLR body reviews he has in the pipeline. For what it's worth, there is a text blurb on the new lens above the Sigma booth photos.

I'm pretty happy to see this lens. I really expected, and hoped, Canon would realease an EF-S 18-200 IS USM lens with the release of the XTi. Since they did not, I'm glad Sigma has (although I wish it had HSM). I hope its optics are as good as everyone says the Nikon 18-200 VR's are. If so, this would become the perfect travel lens for 1.6 crop Canons.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    i hadn't heard this either... a great lens indeed. If it carries the EX badge, I'll probably want one.

edit: bummer, looks like its not an EX, so it probably won't be as good as my 18-50 EX DC.

The Nikkor is a great lens, lots of good reviews, but not good enough to justify the price that some people are getting for it. Read Thom Hogan's review, it's a great $750 lens, not $1000+, like some people are getting.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

DoctorIt wrote:
    i hadn't heard this either... a great lens indeed. If it carries the EX badge, I'll probably want one.

edit: bummer, looks like its not an EX, so it probably won't be as good as my 18-50 EX DC.

The Nikkor is a great lens, lots of good reviews, but not good enough to justify the price that some people are getting for it. Read Thom Hogan's review, it's a great $750 lens, not $1000+, like some people are getting.
    Agreed, without the EX badge and HSM, I'm looking for a $600-$850 price tag on this lens. Where it rightly falls in that range depends on image quality.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    DoctorIt wrote:

I know what you mean, I've seen some go for 1500 on E-Bay, and no way I'm spending that much on any lens that isn't as good as the 70-200 vr!

What do you imagine the Sigma would go for? Their non OS one is about $380, I bet the OS would only add 100-150 bucks. It'll be interesting to see the reviews!
    UT Scott wrote:
    Their non OS one is about $380, I bet the OS would only add 100-150 bucks. It'll be interesting to see the reviews!
    I bet OS will add more than that, at least for the first few months.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 29, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    I bet OS will add more than that, at least for the first few months.
    I doubt it. No matter what the Nikkor VR is selling for (rather being plundered for), the list price is $750 if you can stand the wait. The Sigma will be priced at less than $500, remember, its not an EX. And Sigma prices have never really fluctuated, at least as long as I have been watching. I just bought the 18-50 EX DC for essentially the same price it was released at some time ago. Kinda nice, they are priced right to begin with.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited September 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I doubt it. No matter what the Nikkor VR is selling for (rather being plundered for), the list price is $750 if you can stand the wait. The Sigma will be priced at less than $500, remember, its not an EX. And Sigma prices have never really fluctuated, at least as long as I have been watching. I just bought the 18-50 EX DC for essentially the same price it was released at some time ago. Kinda nice, they are priced right to begin with.
    Cool. I didn't realize the Nikor listed for so low. Of course, I've never had a need to price Nikor lenses. I was kind of thinking about the ridiculous markup Canon puts on IS, which probably doesn't apply to Sigma. So, good, I hope you're right.
    edited October 1, 2006
    Cya
    BenA2 wrote:
    Lately, it seems that Dpreview hasn't been reporting in the News section every one of Sigma's new lenses. But, right now it may just be that Phil is swamped with other Photokina stuff on top of the many new SLR body reviews he has in the pipeline. For what it's worth, there is a text blurb on the new lens above the Sigma booth photos.
    Just so I don't get in trouble for this statement... dpreview did get around to posting a news item on this lens.