HS baseball

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited September 28, 2006 in Sports
I've just been uploading all my pictures to smugmug (just signed up) and figured I'd post some here. These are some of my high school's baseball team I took for the yearbook.

Let me know what you think!

98542034-M-1.jpg

98542321-M-1.jpg

98543589-M-1.jpg

There is a reason why they're all of the same guy. I was there to shoot him, we needed a picture of him for the story so I pretty much focused only on him but did get a few almost decent ones of other players.

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Hey, I really like the second shot. A good example of a slower shutter speed working to your advantage. The arm motion really works well for this shot. It's also a nice, sharp shot. Well done.

In general though, it's best to shoot from field level - both these shots were looking down (were you on top of the dugout by chance?)

It's just shooting at his level or up allows for more face to be visible:

62875329-M.jpg

On the last photo, there are 2 issues which hurt an otherwise very sharp photo:
    1. Unerexposed - bump the exposure up a bit and dodge his face so you can see more of his features. In general with baseball you need to overexpose by +1/3 to +2/3 to help decrease shadows. That's just a general guideline though - the rule is really: expose for the face, not the uniform. This shot doesn't look close to blowing highlights so you have a good bit of lattitude to adjust (or the next time your shooting to push the exposure to the right).

2. Crop - really, all 3 have the same issue and that is your subject is square in the middle of every frame. In shots 1 & 2, leave more room in front of the picture to give him "space to throw into". In the third, think of the rule of thirds - given the way his eyes are looking I would suggest moving him over towards the left of the frame

The background also hurts this shot - but not a lot you can do about that - except in the future use a wider aperture if you have it, more zoom and back yourself up even more to create more distance to your subject. You can get a little more blur that way, but there's only so much you can do with the backstop limiting how much focal length you can use:
    62873074-M.jpg
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    johng wrote:
    In general though, it's best to shoot from field level - both these shots were looking down (were you on top of the dugout by chance?)

Hey, thanks for the comments and suggestions! I was shooting from ontop of the dugout (well a hill behind the dugout). The only reason I shot from there is because the umps wouldn't let me on the field (safety hazard) and shooting through the fence just wasn't working for me. Hopefully next time I get a chance to shoot baseball I'll be allowed to shoot from the field or at least have a spot not covered by a fence.

again, thanks for your sugestions, I'll keep them in mind for next time! thumb.gif
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    UT Scott wrote:
    The only reason I shot from there is because the umps wouldn't let me on the field (safety hazard) and shooting through the fence just wasn't working for me.

Next time that happens try and cajole them to let you shoot from the dugout - if not, nothing you can do. Even shooting for a paper I was relegated to the dugout one game for "safety reasons" - of course in the 3rd inning a foul ball came screaming into the dugout right at me - missed me, but so much for safety mwink.gif