A Senior Series

Catchlight PhotographyCatchlight Photography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited October 2, 2006 in People
This is Victoria. She is a senior this year and I am a friend of the family. Her mother was killed by a drunk driver about 4 months ago and I was honored to be asked to take her senior pictures. These were taken two days ago. For the first picture I had her hold an empty frame and later added the picture of her and her mother I took at a wedding a year earlier. I cant decide if the picture inside the frame should be black and white or color. The rings that Victoria are wearing are her mothers, for the most part.(wedding, etc.) Her mother's name was Lisa and she was a great friend and a wonderful person and I think about her every day. Thanks for taking a look.

Don Dammert
Catchlight Photography

98591343-M.jpg98591343

98591206-M.jpg

98591514-M.jpg

98591730-M.jpg

98592861-M.jpg

98600970-M.jpg

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    You've got the wrong URLs for linking your pics. Check out the link in my signature on posting your pics for more help.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Catchlight PhotographyCatchlight Photography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    You've got the wrong URLs for linking your pics. Check out the link in my signature on posting your pics for more help.
    There, I fixed it. Sorry about that.

Don
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Hi Don! Sorry about your friend, Lisa. Must be a tough time for her daughter. Have you attempted a black and white on the first shot? It is a little strange to see the picture within a picture, perhaps because it is life-size, too. I certainly understand the idea behind it though. Very nice shots of Victoria. I find the first one too dark and depressing, but I really like the others. thumb.gif
  • melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Hi Don! Sorry about your friend, Lisa. Must be a tough time for her daughter. Have you attempted a black and white on the first shot? It is a little strange to see the picture within a picture, perhaps because it is life-size, too. I certainly understand the idea behind it though. Very nice shots of Victoria. I find the first one too dark and depressing, but I really like the others. thumb.gif

I don't think I'm getting to see all o fthe pictures. I love the idea of the framed photo but i think I'd like to see it b&w. This poor little girls eyes hurt. You can seriously see her soul hurting in some of those pictures and that's just horrible. Bless her and her family! How tragic. YOu did a wondeful job catching all kinds of emotions.
    Missy Ü
  • Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    I don't think I'm getting to see all o fthe pictures. I love the idea of the framed photo but i think I'd like to see it b&w. This poor little girls eyes hurt. You can seriously see her soul hurting in some of those pictures and that's just horrible. Bless her and her family! How tragic. YOu did a wondeful job catching all kinds of emotions.

I agree. I'd like to see the framed photo b&w too. I like the last one alot.
  • Catchlight PhotographyCatchlight Photography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2006
    Heres the B&W version......?
    I agree. I'd like to see the framed photo b&w too. I like the last one alot.

I dont know what it is but the framed picture just doesnt look right. I dont know if I need to add noise or not. But I do think that I like the looks of this better....

99031172-L.jpg

Don
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Don, I hope you don't mind but I played around quickly with the B&W. What really works well is to make the image a more "high-key" look. Brighten and lighten up her face. That brings the color of her skin closer to the photograph which is quite contrasty. Then do the opposite with a small adjustment to the photograph toning it down a tad. Makes a huge difference.
    edited October 1, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Don, I hope you don't mind but I played around quickly with the B&W. What really works well is to make the image a more "high-key" look. Brighten and lighten up her face. That brings the color of her skin closer to the photograph which is quite contrasty. Then do the opposite with a small adjustment to the photograph toning it down a tad. Makes a huge difference.

Of course I dont mind and I like the suggestion, Ill fool around with it a little tonight, It just doesnt look right to me and maybe thats it.

Don
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    I dont know what it is but the framed picture just doesnt look right. I dont know if I need to add noise or not. But I do think that I like the looks of this better....

99031172-S.jpg

Don
    How about this for an idea. The faces in the picture are brighter and higher key than the "living" face, thus drawing attention to the framed image and away from the intended.

Edit: Ooops, I didn't read all the rest of the thread - others had the same idea.
    edited October 2, 2006
    How about this for an idea. The faces in the picture are brighter and higher key than the "living" face, thus drawing attention to the framed image and away from the intended.

Edit: Ooops, I didn't read all the rest of the thread - others had the same idea.

Thanks I think that is it..... I will rework it and repost for you guys....check in and see if it makes a difference..

Don
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    I'm late to this thread, but have you considered the framed shot in color with the rest b&w or somewhat desaturated? Maybe that would look too cheesy...ne_nau.gif the idea would be that her life has lost some of the joy (color) since the loss of her mother.

Anyway, my real reason for replying is that I don't think the framed picture looks right in the frame. I think the edges are too sharp and on the wrong plane; it should be inset a bit and not quite so laser perfect, if you know what I mean? I also find myself wishing that little bit of her head was in the shot, but htat's just a nitpick.

I think this was a great idea you had, even down to the details of making sure the rings are visible but the pose is still natural. I agree that you have captures the strong emotions here very, very well.