Options

First wedding shoot (8 images, too many?)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited October 1, 2006 in Weddings
My first wedding as the primary. It was a real challenge. Bride would usually not listen to suggestions/advise. The location was to be a beach. Storm came through and, literally, wiped that idea right off the map. So, ceremony was delayed 45 minutes and moved into the darkest hole of a banquet hall I've seen in some time.

Because of the delay, B&G didn't want to give me the time needed to do a decent job on the formals. None of the family members really wanted to co-operate.

It was just so much fun. Wife asked me, "Are you sure you want to continue doing this?"

BTW - All were shot with the flash (see below) and the Gary Fong Lightsphere. Worked pretty well, for the most part.

Anyway, I'm still in the middle of processing the photos from a wedding I shot. These are some of the better ones so far.

You may note a blue/purple tinge to the gown. I faught forever to remove it. Then, found a test shot with an 18% gray card in it, turns out the gown really does have a blue/purple cast to it, even under very warm evening sun.

1. One of the bride getting ready. You just have to get a shot of the B in a mirror, right?
97935648-M.jpg

2. The dress was designed using buttons for closure. It took two people to get it closed up. I wonder how long it took the groom to undo all that?!!
97935644-M.jpg

3. It was a collaborative effort to get everyone ready. Lady on the right is MOB. Lady on left is Bride's Maid, not Maid of Honor.
97935689-M.jpg

4. She's done!
97935686-M.jpg

5. Last minute - now where did that garter get to? Didn't actually find it until everyone was at the wedding location. Turned out the MOH had grabbed it up.
97935683-M.jpg

6. Can you guess what's up here?
98547947-M.jpg

7. Yeah, I know the background is blown. I told them it would be. They didn't listen. Oh, well.
98568633-M.jpg

8. So far (I'm about 1/2 done processing), this is my favorite of the whole bunch! (Edit: Was asked to remove this one....)

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    The little girl
    is adorable...

Yep... that's what happens. The bride doesn't want to listen. Inlaws don't want to get together for formals, and weather happens!:D :D:D

That's the "stress" part of being a wedding photographer.

So far your photos look very nice and they should be pleased.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Sounds like your initiation into the role of Wedding Photographer was a little challenging, Scott! Perhaps in the long run, that is a good thing. It just shows that you never know what to expect! Anything can and will happen. But it looks like you rolled with the punches and got some nice pre-wedding shots, and hopefully you'll post a few more? I'm sure each wedding you shoot is a learning experience with valuable lessons to be tucked away in the ole memory bank for the future!
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    Look really good so far, nice job!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    Once again very impressive results from your gary fong equipment...and very very nice photos :) That dress sounds like a nightmare.
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    Lookin' good! The little girl is a truly classic shot! What a cutie!

I think the one of the bride sitting on the floor is great too!

Nice job! Show us more.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    You did a great job. Keeping those backgrounds clean is tough work. You did very well and worked with the situations.

I shot two weddings in Sept.
    1st one
    The brides dressing area looked like the storage room in the church basement. UGLY
    The mirror they provided was one of those doors strips. UGLY
    The bride's shoes were burning to get out of the church after the wedding. We had done most of the formals before, but needed to do the "togethers" after the ceremony and had planned 30 minutes for that. She was looking at her watch the whole time. (yes I have a picture Laughing.gif) It all worked out and they are happy with their pictures.

2nd one
    Groom comes out, I take a few shots of him and the pastor up front.
    I turn to start shooting the flowergirl coming down and isle and get Error99!!! I shut it down, pulled the batteries and popped them back in and WHEW! it came back on. When it did the flash wouldn't work. I grabbed the batteries from my pocket and slammed them in the flash and it started working. I was in total panic because my backup was laying on the last pew and I was near the 4th. I only missed the 1st flower girl.
    Neither of these things have ever happend to me with this camera and haven't had a problem since.

Moral of my long winded story. Be prepared. Everything bad can and just might happen. Have plan a b c and d. Keep your backup within arm's length.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Wedding horror stories
    Moral of my long winded story. Be prepared. Everything bad can and just might happen. Have plan a b c and d. Keep your backup withing arm's length.

That is SO true........
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    You did a good job considering the circumstances. Some banquet halls are tough to shoot due to the choice of backgrounds. It is too bad the weather turned, the beach would have been nice. I did one wedding shoot in a tacky banquet hall and there were about six people with cameras, including the brides mother, vying for photo ops. It is up to the bride to cooperate and set the rules if they want great photos. Wedding shoots are a big hassle.

You can try desaturating some of the photos where the colors are off. Adding a bit of gradient map also helps.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Nice Scott
    You done good. I feel your pain. Had a couple of those myself....what was especially tough is all the relatives just had to be in the shots....looks like you were able to get some nice isolated comps. Great for you....like em lots.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    Great images, I love the lost one for sure, and yes, that's the best :D

And yes to that "wedding stress" too, but that's what makes a photographer to improve its skills, makes it more creative.... I guess, anyway, I love the set, they look great, congrats thumb.gif

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • Options
    Kelowna PicmanKelowna Picman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    Good work! The color looks good to me in all the shots. I wouldnt worry too much if getting "perfect results" is stressing you out; in the end, I find most of my clients are completely oblivious to the stress I have during post processing. I do understand, as a pro, you level of comparison is producing work your PEERS esteem, but clients are rarely even understand this struggle, much less notice.

It's great to see I'm not alone in my struggles with shooting weddings. I feel for ya, since the challenges you encountered during the day were the same that stressed me out during the weddings I shot this season. I now make a point of discussing time constraints for formals as well as weather concerns and how that affects the shots at every consultation I have. I know my clients want the best for their buck, but let's face it, it's give and take, and we're not miracle workers. Clients have to give you what you need to work with in order to get what they want, simple.

Post some more when you get some time...thumb.gif
    A picture is worth a thousands words...
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    is adorable...

Yep... that's what happens. The bride doesn't want to listen. Inlaws don't want to get together for formals, and weather happens!

That's the "stress" part of being a wedding photographer.

So far your photos look very nice and they should be pleased.
    Yeah stressful, but so much fun too. Thanks for the kind words and I am quite pleased with some of the shots.
    saurora wrote:
    Sounds like your initiation into the role of Wedding Photographer was a little challenging, Scott! Perhaps in the long run, that is a good thing. It just shows that you never know what to expect! Anything can and will happen. But it looks like you rolled with the punches and got some nice pre-wedding shots, and hopefully you'll post a few more? I'm sure each wedding you shoot is a learning experience with valuable lessons to be tucked away in the ole memory bank for the future!
    In the long run, was a good thing. I learned a lot from the experience without totally screwing up the photos. For the price the B&G paid (yep, got all the money up front!), they are going to be well pleased. As I was packing up my gear, the MOB came up to me and said that she would be in touch. I look at her with question on my face, thinking that she is talking about referrals. Nope, she said she wants to pay me some more $$ cause the B&G didn't pay me enough for all the work that I had done at the event. Little does she know who much work is being done behind the scene!

Oh, and the FOG came up to me on the way out and stuffed a $10 tip into my hand, told me to go get some dinner. Can you guess my internal reaction?
    Once again very impressive results from your gary fong equipment...and very very nice photos :) That dress sounds like a nightmare.
    Yeah, the LS works nice, but I found one situation where it really falls over. The hall had one whole side in glass, no shade or anything on it. Just pitch black outside. That window sucked so much of my flash light that I had some serious problems using the LS the way it was designed to be use. I ended up pointing the flash more at the subject than at the ceiling to get more of the light on target than, litterally, out the window.
    snapapple wrote:
    Lookin' good! The little girl is a truly classic shot! What a cutie!

I think the one of the bride sitting on the floor is great too!

Nice job! Show us more.
    Well, since you asked for it, IF I find some more that are up to my standards (or even come close) I'll post some more. The one with the bride on the floor was just too funny. She was looking everywhere for the garter. She never did find it until she got to the location. Instead, she improvised with one of her daughters baby headbands. I have a few of her putting that one, just for the groom!

You did a great job. Keeping those backgrounds clean is tough work. You did very well and worked with the situations.

I turn to start shooting the flowergirl coming down and isle and get Error99!!! I shut it down, pulled the batteries and popped them back in and WHEW! it came back on. When it did the flash wouldn't work. I grabbed the batteries from my pocket and slammed them in the flash and it started working. I was in total panic because my backup was laying on the last pew and I was near the 4th. I only missed the 1st flower girl.
    Neither of these things have ever happend to me with this camera and haven't had a problem since.

Moral of my long winded story. Be prepared. Everything bad can and just might happen. Have plan a b c and d. Keep your backup within arm's length.
    I've never had a problem with my 20D. But, that just means that it's that much closer. I had a backup camera, but during the ceremony, it was in another room. I guess I got really lucky! Next time, I will learn from your problem and keep it around my neck (or at least close).
    Swartzy wrote:
    You done good. I feel your pain. Had a couple of those myself....what was especially tough is all the relatives just had to be in the shots....looks like you were able to get some nice isolated comps. Great for you....like em lots.
    I think I could have dealt with all the in-laws wanting to be in the pictures. I'm real good at saying "No, get out of the shot, your turn will come." But trying to get them to just show up and stand in place! And, you would think this was a Hatfields and McCoys type wedding, no one wanted to get close! Finally, I had to say something to the effect "I see light between you two, close it up a bit!" talking to the parents of the groom! WOW!
    B:// wrote:
    Great images, I love the lost one for sure, and yes, that's the best

And yes to that "wedding stress" too, but that's what makes a photographer to improve its skills, makes it more creative.... I guess, anyway, I love the set, they look great, congrats

Byron M.
    Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate you looking.
    Good work! The color looks good to me in all the shots. I wouldnt worry too much if getting "perfect results" is stressing you out; in the end, I find most of my clients are completely oblivious to the stress I have during post processing. I do understand, as a pro, you level of comparison is producing work your PEERS esteem, but clients are rarely even understand this struggle, much less notice.

It's great to see I'm not alone in my struggles with shooting weddings. I feel for ya, since the challenges you encountered during the day were the same that stressed me out during the weddings I shot this season. I now make a point of discussing time constraints for formals as well as weather concerns and how that affects the shots at every consultation I have. I know my clients want the best for their buck, but let's face it, it's give and take, and we're not miracle workers. Clients have to give you what you need to work with in order to get what they want, simple.

Post some more when you get some time...
    I have gotten to the point of "good enough is good enough, they will not know the difference if the color temperature is off 100 degrees".

Believe it or not, I had numerous discussions with the bride. How do you handle someone who just does not want to plan. One of the most important days in her life and she didn't even plan the orientation of the chairs, flower arch, etc on the beach until the day before. And did not want to reherse at all. I think the only reason they went out to the location the day before was to placate me! Oh well, it is what it is!

As I have bee asked by more than one of y'all (I'm in the south, remember), I guess I'll just have to find a couple more deserving of seeing the light of day. "Stay tuned to this same Bat-Channel for more!!"
  • Options
    Kelowna PicmanKelowna Picman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

Believe it or not, I had numerous discussions with the bride. How do you handle someone who just does not want to plan. One of the most important days in her life and she didn't even plan the orientation of the chairs, flower arch, etc on the beach until the day before. And did not want to reherse at all. I think the only reason they went out to the location the day before was to placate me! Oh well, it is what it is!

Exactly! It is what it is, with what you had to work with - good attitude! thumb.gif
    A picture is worth a thousands words...
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    Hi, Scott
    Great Photos! thumb.gif
    I think they should be happy with the way these turned out.
    I can't wait to see more...

Take Care,
    Charles Cassidy,
    Cassidy's Photography,
    http://www.modellocate.com/action/goto/uid=4447
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Hey Scott!!

WOW! I think you did an awesome job!!! It's funny how when you first meet a couple and the atmosphere is relaxed and you are just taking some relaxed portraits and everything is so nice and calm.........then BAM!!! the wedding, the couple is tense....the family is tense......the weather turns......and you wonder, what happend to this sweet couple that was open for all of my suggestions???

I think you did a greeat job and I cna not wait to see the rest!

But seriously.....try not to stress tooooooo much on post processing (easier said than done, I just bit off all of my nails with the last batch I did) unless you are the photographer for a photographer...most people do not even notice what you notice!!!!!

Great work!!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited October 1, 2006
    Scott,

You did a great job! clap.gifclapclap.gif

If you hadn't told us of your trials, we would not have known from the images, and that's how it should be. It was your job to be prepared for anything, and you were. It was your job to record important moments that tell a story and relate the event, and you did that.

Don't sweat the little stuff, and don't dwell on what "could have been". You dealt with the here and now, and you walked away with great images and money in your pocket. What could be better?

As for the bride who won't plan, imagine the other side of the coin; the bride who plans every little detail. The bride who stresses herself and everyone around her by making constant demands, and then who breaks down before the event into tears and won't see anybody, including you for the "getting ready" shots. Imagine when the word comes that she may not be ready for the wedding, and the groom is starting to have second thoughts about the whole thing. (Really)

And then, in an instant, everything turns around. The bride is making the effort and everybody is in there "fixing" her makeup and such and trying to make this work, and you have maybe 2 minutes to grab what you can.

The rest of the day goes without a hitch, and you're wondering, "should I have captured the drama and the suspense?" (Because previously you were trying to be inconspicuous and stay out of the way, lest you become part of the drama.)

Weddings are like no other. They are alive and real. They are full of emotions and activity. They have a life of their own and no two are ever the same.

" If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    ... If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!"

(from "If" by Rudyard Kipling)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2006
    Hi, Scott
    Great Photos!
    I think they should be happy with the way these turned out.
    I can't wait to see more...
    Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if they will be please or not. I've not gotten a response back from either the bride or the MOB. Time will tell.
    Hey Scott!!

WOW! I think you did an awesome job!!! It's funny how when you first meet a couple and the atmosphere is relaxed and you are just taking some relaxed portraits and everything is so nice and calm.........then BAM!!! the wedding, the couple is tense....the family is tense......the weather turns......and you wonder, what happend to this sweet couple that was open for all of my suggestions???

I think you did a greeat job and I cna not wait to see the rest!

But seriously.....try not to stress tooooooo much on post processing (easier said than done, I just bit off all of my nails with the last batch I did) unless you are the photographer for a photographer...most people do not even notice what you notice!!!!!

Great work!!
    I got over the stressing on Friday. Made the balance of the PP go much better and the results are not that much different. I really thank you for the kind words.

I can't open up the gallaries without permission from the B&G. I will approach them about that in the next couple of days. At that time, I'll put the link in this and the tread at found at the bottom of this post.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Scott,

You did a great job!

If you hadn't told us of your trials, we would not have known from the images, and that's how it should be.
    Now, that really means a lot.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The rest of the day goes without a hitch, and you're wondering, "should I have captured the drama and the suspense?" (Because previously you were trying to be inconspicuous and stay out of the way, lest you become part of the drama.)
    Now that's a question that I would never of thought of until I was presented with the situation. And, that's not the right time to make such a decision. I'm not sure how to handle that (hint, hint).

Now then, because people have asked for more shots from the event, see this thread.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43879

Someone voted this post 5 stars. How do I find out who that was so that I can get some of what they're drinking?