Possible security problem

2»

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    I would like to apologize for any offence that you perceived. We genuinely were not trying to offend you or argue with you, that was not our intent. DGrin is a peer support site and we were all just trying to clarify how the "public: no" gallery option actually works because it unfortunately was never designed to make a gallery completely private and non-accessible by the general public. It is a misnomer to call it public/private; it should really be called "unlisted" which means "do not include this gallery in any category, search or gallery listings".

I don't really want to continue this thread -it's honestly been more of a pain than it's worth. As for clarifying how things work -if you read the first page of this thread I'm pretty sure I said that I knew how it worked, I just thought that the way it worked was broken. But that didn't stop a few folks from explaining it again, and again, etc... mwink.gif
    BeachBill wrote:
    I see that you want true private galleries where only the owner of the site can see them. That is an excellent enhancement request that I would like to see as well. I have set up several galleries ahead of time, some as placeholders to remind me that I want to post certain photos and some galleries that I am currently building. Both of these would be good candidates for truly private galleries.

I thought private galleries were private -that only the site owner could see them. If you want to limit access to a gallery then that's what password protecting is for...
    BeachBill wrote:
    Your next request for the "share photos" link to always be visible to the site owner is something many of us would like to see as well. Many of us have asked for exactly the same functionality for the "original" photo link. It would be extremely useful if both the "share photos" and "original" links would always be displayed for the site owner.

See this post and this post for similar requests in the feature request thread. Please add your "me too" to the enhancement request thread so smugmug can have a documented count of the number of users that want this feature.

I'll check them out -thanks!
    BeachBill wrote:
    Finally, I believe all who replied to your inquiry do have scripting experience and I'm not sure why you assumed none of us does. I'm a software engineer and personally design and develop sites/applications similar to smugmug and have been doing so for over 10 years.

Because several people argued with me when I said that you, the site owner, authenticate to every page on your site. You don't see it because it's being handled by cookies, but you are still logging in -accept for the gallery pages, those don't seem to have any authentication... :D
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    But that didn't stop a few folks from explaining it again, and again, etc... mwink.gif
    Let's all drop this please, it's unnecessary at this point. Thanks very much thumb.gif