HDR attempt - Looks fake?

dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited October 1, 2006 in Holy Macro
Please take a look at the photo below taken on a recent trip to Yosemite and let me know if it looks obviously shopped to you. It's my first attempt at an HDR image and I quite like it, however my fiancee reckons that it looks fake so I'd like to know how other people see it (or if by using HDR I will inevitably get a 'fake' looking image).

99124964-L.jpg

P.S. Wasn't sure if this should go here or in Technique, please feel free to move it.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Lovely pic but the waterfall in the shadow definitely looks odd (too bright)
    Brian V.
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Lovely pic but the waterfall in the shadow definitely looks odd (too bright)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian, that was the bit I was worried about.

I think this version matches the waterfall and the surrounding rocks better, I've also tweaked the overall curves. Anyone see any problems now?

99156738-L.jpg
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    lets take out that lens flare!
    edited October 1, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    lets take out that lens flare!

I'd love to actually, but I've no idea how, any good tutorials that you know of?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Gone in 60 seconds lol just selection and healing ne_nau.gif selection with magic wand and soften the mask with blur and heal
    lets see what experts do ....
    Sorry for not asking permission :cry

Nice photo !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 1, 2006
    Gone in 60 seconds lol just selection and healing ne_nau.gif selection with magic wand and soften the mask with blur and heal
    lets see what experts do ....
    Sorry for not asking permission :cry

Nice photo !

Cool, thanks for the help and don't worry about permission, I asked for help!

I'll have to try it myself :D. I've never used the healing brush as I mainly use the GIMP and haven't seen one there. I'll have another look. If there isn't one I have a version of Photoshop I can use.
  • OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    I like the mods that Awais did, it balanced out the image better. Great shot in a great location, under harsh shooting conditions. keep working on it.
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com