Jupiter-9 85mm manual focus

KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited October 3, 2006 in Holy Macro
I was out Saturday shooting with the Jupiter-9, 85mm manual focus attached to my 20D. Took some pic's of some flowering weeds and one that had a moth or butterfly on it. Later I enlarged for the moth only. I was quite surprised at the resolution of this lens.

Photo #1 original flower and moth/butterfly.

99042707-S.jpg

Photo #2 enlarged for moth only, a little curves to bump it up but very little.

99042368-S.jpg

To be honest I was shocked at the resolution. A lucky shot, but shows what some of these manual focus lens are capable of.
Bob

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    The detail looks pretty good from such a crop. It is actually a butterfly, not a moth. I'm not positive but it could be an Acadian Hairstreak. It is definitely a hairstreak but I'm not positive on the exact type.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 2, 2006
    Geez, Nick, you know your butterflies! I'm impressed. nod.gif

Now, what, may I ask, is a Jupiter-9, besides something that sounds like its from Lost In Space. ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    KA0TVO wrote:
    I was out Saturday shooting with the Jupiter-9, 85mm manual focus attached to my 20D. Took some pic's of some flowering weeds and one that had a moth or butterfly on it. Later I enlarged for the moth only. I was quite surprised at the resolution of this lens.

Photo #1 original flower and moth/butterfly.

Photo #2 enlarged for moth only, a little curves to bump it up but very little.

To be honest I was shocked at the resolution. A lucky shot, but shows what some of these manual focus lens are capable of.

Hi there .......... nice butterfly shot....... looks like your having fun with your lens......... thanks for sharing....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Geez, Nick, you know your butterflies! I'm impressed. nod.gif

Now, what, may I ask, is a Jupiter-9, besides something that sounds like its from Lost In Space. ne_nau.gif

Nick's not just a pretty face ya know David rolleyes1.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Wow great detail for a crop clap.gif lovely shot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Thanks for your comments.
    yes I'm having fun with this lens and it is a Jupiter-9. A Russian manual lens that gives you a cheap entry into the 85 F2.0 family. Physically a little larger than the Canon 50mm f1.8 but all metal except for a little rubber on the focus ring.
    It is a copy of pre WWII Zeiss Sonnar 85mm F2.0 lens. Interesting history here. After the war the Leica factory was on the east side of Germany. So it was dismantled and re assembled complete with technicians in the Soviet Union. Legend has it they still use the original formula for the glass. The company is located in an armory and in addition to cloning Leica's they made military optics during the cold war.Well that is the legend.
    I purchased this lens new from Zent Camera with a M42 adaptor. Took about 30 days for delivery but worth the wait.
    Here are some reviews of this nice lense.
    http://www.2buddybiz.com/index.php?id=16

http://galleries.oomz.net/pub/M42/russian/jup9/

Oh yes, They seem to love naming these lens ie: MC Zenitar, sounds like a band and 50mm industrial
    Can't believe you knew the type of butterfly bowdown.gif ok so was it a male or female mwink.gif
    Bob
  • lulalakelulalake Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    KA0TVO wrote:
    Thanks for your comments.
    yes I'm having fun with this lens and it is a Jupiter-9. A Russian manual lens that gives you a cheap entry into the 85 F2.0 family. Physically a little larger than the Canon 50mm f1.8 but all metal except for a little rubber on the focus ring.
    It is a copy of pre WWII Zeiss Sonnar 85mm F2.0 lens. Interesting history here. After the war the Leica factory was on the east side of Germany. So it was dismantled and re assembled complete with technicians in the Soviet Union. Legend has it they still use the original formula for the glass. The company is located in an armory and in addition to cloning Leica's they made military optics during the cold war.Well that is the legend.
    I purchased this lens new from Zent Camera with a M42 adaptor. Took about 30 days for delivery but worth the wait.
    Here are some reviews of this nice lense.
    http://www.2buddybiz.com/index.php?id=16

http://galleries.oomz.net/pub/M42/russian/jup9/

Oh yes, They seem to love naming these lens ie: MC Zenitar, sounds like a band and 50mm industrial
    Can't believe you knew the type of butterfly bowdown.gif ok so was it a male or female mwink.gif

I love Ukranian glass! Last year I got a Hartblei 45mm super rotator for my Mamiya 645AFD. Manual everything. It almost never leaves the camera. It's the best lens I have including two Mamiya lenses.

Ukranian mechanics aren't pretty but they are excellent.
    I'm getting an adapter for my 30D soon.

Cheers

Jules
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Awesome detail in that crop, I like both pics!!!