print it huge

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
an 8mpx sony f828 shot of mine, with its happy owners, an office in nyc... the end result is 6 feet by 4.5 feet, and it was done up by www.bigposters.com

quality work! you can put your nose up to this print and not see any loss of image quality vs. the 16x20s i've been selling. the printer really knows his stuff.

12718508-L.jpg

enjoy (printing it big) photography,

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 14, 2004
    can you give us a ballpark of what it cost to do this?

I'm gonna guess >$200
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    can you give us a ballpark of what it cost to do this?

I'm gonna guess >$200

i can't find the receipt but i think the print was $150 and the mounting was about $100 or thereabouts.
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    Great stuff! I've never seen such a large print before eek7.gif really impressive.

And the mounting looks quite expensive. I hope they treasure it for years to come.

www.bigposters.com is always advertising in HOW and PRINT magazine. Check them out for specials before ordering.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    There goes another myth about the 828 out the window...
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Great stuff, Andy!
    Of course, there's hardly any news here, Andy...

Selling a print of the umbrella man, that's too easy: it's an *incredible* shot, it has a timeless look and all... So, no surprise here!

What else? The F828 at ISO 64-200 seems to produce very clean 8MP images. From there on, pixels are pixels. It's perfectly possible, through some stuff like interpolating or so, to produce such a large print with that many pixels. I even remember seeing a building-sized outdoor for a Brazilian movie, and the photo on it was taken with a D2H, which has only 4MP... It looked great, of course! :-)

So I'm still not surprised; I'm only glad to see a friend doing well in business!

It's just so sad that there are some *naysayers* here and there who keep saying the Sonys suck and don't show us the pitchas! Thanks for making their mouths shut... :-)

Also, thanks for sharing!

Take care!

-- thiago
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Andy, I do have a question for you about printing big & pricing. Maybe this would best be served via pm or email, but I'll put it here incase anyone else has the same question.

I just had someone offer to buy my night panorama of the conservatory of flowers i took last night. The image will be 13x44 or so, matted & framed. I don't even have the slightest idea how to price something this size. I can print the image at home on my Epson 2200, but the matting & framing will have to be done professionally.

What formula/ guide do you use to set prices for something larger than the normal prints?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 11, 2008
    I took Andy's recommendation and bought a 60x72-inch print:

349892231_W9Kx6-XL.jpg

They did a really good job of both the printing and mounting (I ordered a 1.5-inch wooden frame in the back to make it stiff, stand off the wall, and give it something to hang from.

I also had them print a 72x180-inch print in three 60-inch pieces. Photo of that to follow when we get it hung from the wall.
  • thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    wow, that's very impressive! I might have to save up for one of those myself to showcase during presentations! Thanks for sharing guys! clap.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Holy Freaklin' Wow! Thanks a billion Andy...gotta get some of these!
  • pics-ellpics-ell Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    dkapp wrote:
    Andy, I do have a question for you about printing big & pricing. Maybe this would best be served via pm or email, but I'll put it here incase anyone else has the same question.

I just had someone offer to buy my night panorama of the conservatory of flowers i took last night. The image will be 13x44 or so, matted & framed. I don't even have the slightest idea how to price something this size. I can print the image at home on my Epson 2200, but the matting & framing will have to be done professionally.

What formula/ guide do you use to set prices for something larger than the normal prints?

Thanks,
    Dave

i was wondering the same thing, andy...
    pics-ell
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    pics-ell wrote:
    i was wondering the same thing, andy...
    bon jour mon amie :)

So, it's not easy. What's your market? Some of SWAGing going on. I actually "lease" mine to major corps for 12, 18 month periods.
  • pics-ellpics-ell Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    bon jour mon amie :)

So, it's not easy. What's your market? Some of SWAGing going on. I actually "lease" mine to major corps for 12, 18 month periods.

yeah, doesn't seem like it would be easy. "leasing" is a good idea. don't really have a market for it yet, but dave's question made me wonder, too, due to the whole balancing act of cost effectiveness blah blah blah.

ellenmwink.gif
    pics-ell
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy, are you using their 300dpi or 600dpi. What do you recommend?
  • rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Wow - I'm glad to have found this thread! Was looking for a way to print something huge for my father-in-law & we were pretty much running out of options 'till I searched here. Thanks for posting.