Dumb viewing question

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited October 3, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have all my galleries set to "user controlled" style. Sometimes I go to a gallery and it is in "critique" or "all thumbs". Does the gallery retain the last setting that anyone uses?

I always assumed it would be the default (smugmug) for everyone unless they decided to change it - and that style change would only apply to that person's current session.

Comments

• dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I have all my galleries set to "user controlled" style. Sometimes I go to a gallery and it is in "critique" or "all thumbs". Does the gallery retain the last setting that anyone uses?

I always assumed it would be the default (smugmug) for everyone unless they decided to change it - and that style change would only apply to that person's current session.

"Smugmug" style is default for any first time user.... If the user selects a different style, THAT style will be used for any other gallery (that allows it) that they view. Smugmug remembers the last style you used.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Persistent "last viewing style" across galleries s weird
    dmc wrote:
    "Smugmug" style is default for any first time user.... If the user selects a different style, THAT style will be used for any other gallery (that allows it) that they view. Smugmug remembers the last style you used.

I've always found this "feature" a bit odd. If I'm looking at someone's photos from a photo forum and decide I want to see the EXIF data on every photo, I put their gallery into critique view.

Then, some time later, I go to my sister's smugmug galleries (completely different subscriber) and I find I'm in critique view in her galleries. Weird.

I can see how I might want my choice of Smugmug Small vs. Smugmug to be persistent across galleries, but for my usage, all the other views are things I use only in specific situations and I never want them to persist or apply to other subscriber's galleries. In fact, I find it strange when they do show up as the default viewing style.

I could solve this problem for other people viewing my own galleries if Smugmug allowed us to specify a "default" view for each of our galleries that would cause the gallery to always start in that view, but the user could still switch it to something else if they wanted. This would then keep the last style they used somewhere else from affecting how they view my galleries and would allow me to optimize my user's viewing experience by starting them out in the recommended style for that gallery without forcing them to only use that style. I've noted this feature request several times before in the feature request thread.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I've always found this "feature" a bit odd. If I'm looking at someone's photos from a photo forum and decide I want to see the EXIF data on every photo, I put their gallery into critique view.

Then, some time later, I go to my sister's smugmug galleries (completely different subscriber) and I find I'm in critique view in her galleries. Weird.
    The view-style setting is 'cookied'. The setting is for all smugmug pages, not a specific user.

And thank you for your request :D
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I could solve this problem for other people viewing my own galleries if Smugmug allowed us to specify a "default" view for each of our galleries that would cause the gallery to always start in that view, but the user could still switch it to something else if they wanted. This would then keep the last style they used somewhere else from affecting how they view my galleries and would allow me to optimize my user's viewing experience by starting them out in the recommended style for that gallery without forcing them to only use that style. I've noted this feature request several times before in the feature request thread.
    15524779-Ti.gif That's how it should work. (IMHO... mwink.gif)